Frutiger Aero Thread

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I
This whole game: https://www.coolmathgames.com/0-wonderputt

643x0w.png
It feels more like Superflat pop than Frutiger Aero. Becuase of the 70s comeback style that was popular back then and not many games use the motief.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The fact that people got so mad about this video entirely proves his point. Keep on zooming little tikes!

It is weird to be old enough that aesthetics from my own time are now being rediscovered and (possibly) misunderstood. I'm not even mad, because I deeply love Vaporwave a lot and I was not really cognizant for the era of its "source material." It's more that it's funny to watch people who were toddlers in this era (at most) try to speak about the defining characteristics and "meaning" of it all as if they're some sort of experts. Most of them are just high schoolers or college kids with internet access and an excess of free time. Ultimately most of this stuff was intended to be cultural detritus, marketing material designed to show that brands were up with the trends and had access to the newest tech and talent, but it imprinted on people who were young in the same way that happened to everybody of every currently living generation.

My question to people who are more into the whole fruitiger aero aesthetic is this: is it a self-aware reimagining of the mid/late 00's in the same way that vaporwave reimagined hyper-consumerist 80's imagery? Or is it an attempt to accurately document and describe the aesthetics of that era? Because if it's the former that's cool, but if it's the latter then a lot imagery in this thread and elsewhere online is wildly off base and would be completely jarring to people at the time if they had've seen in as a screensaver or whatever.

Virtual Cafe Awards
The fact that people got so mad about this video entirely proves his point. Keep on zooming little tikes!
Zoomers are in their 20s, piss off already.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GENOSAD

...or something equally edgy.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
genosadness.neocities.org
is it a self-aware reimagining of the mid/late 00's in the same way that vaporwave reimagined hyper-consumerist 80's imagery? Or is it an attempt to accurately document and describe the aesthetics of that era?
It is a re-imagining of the 2000s, but not a self-aware one. At the end of the day, it is praising corporations for the design choices they made in the past, while shunning their current decisions that are seen as out of touch with consumers.
As far as it trying to "document and describe the aesthetics of that era" goes, I think that's more of a criticism to give to the Aesthetics Wiki than to Frutiger Aero. They're the ones who try to document aesthetics of an era and present them as though they had some sort of design philosophy in common, when in reality they're just looking at the past through an "everything is intentional" sort of attitude.

For the most part, examples of Frutiger Aero are just collections of advertisements and UI designs that resonated with people because of how the companies making them followed uniquity over design trends. I don't try to make the claim that Frutiger Aero was an actual design philosophy -- for Christ's sake, the term wasn't even invented until long after it was present -- just that it's something my eyes actually want to look at in favor of today's minimalist design trend.
The popularity of frutiger aero is more or less a response to how dissatisfied people are with the way corporations present themselves in such a homogenous way. Yes, nostalgia also plays a big role in that most of the aesthetic's fans were young while it was popular, but when you look at the current disdain for ads in the "corporate Memphis" style, you see that you don't need to be nostalgic in order to enjoy the aesthetic.

I think that what a lot of people forget is that every aesthetic that exists was never actually a thing during the timeframe that inspired current depictions of the aesthetic. Not just vaporwave and Frutiger Aero, but also Y2K, "cottagecore" (in reference to the Victorian era), "atompunk," etc. They're all terms being applied to an assortment of visuals that captured the zeitgeist in their own ways, but weren't intentionally made to be similar to one another. I can't speak for others, but for me, my annoyance with that video is that he feels the need to call out Frutiger Aero specifically, when in reality it's every retroactive aesthetic that never existed. This isn't something to be said about Frutiger, but about aesthetics as a whole.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I can't speak for others, but for me, my annoyance with that video is that he feels the need to call out Frutiger Aero specifically, when in reality it's every retroactive aesthetic that never existed.
That's the first valid critique of the video I've seen so I'll give you that, but I'd still push back with this: the difference is that vaporwave and other, older internet-based aesthetics were not seen as descriptive of the past. No one looked at vaporwave and said "Ah, yes, this is what the 80's truly, actually looked like." This is contrary to what seems to be the common discourse amongst the frutiger aero community, which views contemporary re-creations of the aesthetic as actual representations of that time period.

I agree with you when you say:
This isn't something to be said about Frutiger, but about aesthetics as a whole.
But I think the point he is trying to make, and that seems to have been lost on many, is that while this is now true of aesthetics in general, it has not always been true of aesthetics in general. There was no collectors instinct when it came to aesthetics in past eras of the internet, it was mostly just people on various boards and forums using their chosen aesthetic (singular) as an identity signifier comparable to music preferences or wardrobe choices. Frutiger aero is simply the big popular one at the moment so it makes sense to use it as a case study in explaining the frustration with how the "aesthetics cataloging community," for lack of a better term, has ultimately eroded their own credibility by obsessively categorizing and subcategorizing. You seem to basically be in agreement with this when you say:
I think that's more of a criticism to give to the Aesthetics Wiki than to Frutiger Aero
This is again a valid point, but the Aesthetics Wiki has unfortunately become an inextricable component of the aesthetics community to such a degree that you simply cannot talk about these niche aesthetics without running into them. The wiki is now upstream of social media accounts and communities that exist to catalogue a given aesthetic, rather than the inverse. The wiki has become a community of self-proclaimed experts attempting to assert authority over something that they do not meaningfully know or understand, and if you say "I was there, this isn't what it actually looked like at the time" the stans will come out in force to tell you you're wrong and point at the wiki as proof. This is why the stating the distinction between historical documentation and artistic re-imagination is so important.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GENOSAD

Reaction score
Awards
Website
vaporwave and other, older internet-based aesthetics were not seen as descriptive of the past. No one looked at vaporwave and said "Ah, yes, this is what the 80's truly, actually looked like." This is contrary to what seems to be the common discourse amongst the frutiger aero community, which views contemporary re-creations of the aesthetic as actual representations of that time period.
I agree with this wholeheartedly; in fact, it was vaporwave that trained me to look at Frutiger Aero in this light, since at the time we all knew it wasn't actually '80s. Sure, it was very much steeped in the products of its time, but it was so exaggerated and the things people made with it were so diverse that it seen as a "creator's" aesthetic. Vaporwave was made, not consumed, and a lot of that stemmed from the accessibility of it. Slow a song down, chop it up, and re-arrange it, then put a VCR filter over some old footage (most of which already had the distortion there, anyway), and viola!
Frutiger Aero isn't that accessible; in fact, making something in the style is much harder because it involves more knowledge of design software and a higher grade of effort. Which, of course, is why we don't see it being used in graphic design nowadays. This basically feeds into the "collectors instinct" that you speak of, since finding an image with the amount content and depth that Frutiger Aero entails is much easier than making it yourself. Shit, even I don't have the time and energy to make an image myself despite how much it tickles the happy spot in my zoomer brain.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GENOSAD

Reaction score
Awards
Website
if you say "I was there, this isn't what it actually looked like at the time" the stans will come out in force to tell you you're wrong and point at the wiki as proof.
Oh yeah, I did forget to respond to this point: Just because you saw it, doesn't mean it didn't exist. This is more a point against the video's inflammatory title/thumbnail (which was really just put there as bait), but this is a very frustrating thing to hear. I'd never heard of El Chapo until he was imprisoned, but that doesn't mean he never ran drugs. I'd never seen anyone use Tik Tok until I was in college (everyone I knew just saw it as a shitty Vine clone), but that doesn't mean nobody used it.
That's not to say you missed out on a huge thing; like I said before, Frutiger Aero "was" a loose collection of images that were only put into a category after a decade. But the art was still made and there were still ads that inadvertently followed the style we only recently defined. To say that "this doesn't exist" is just disingenuous.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I havent watch the video because its another gay video essay.

Frutiger aero it just the late 2000s idea of what the future would look like.
Its like when the 80s did cyberpunk except more optimist and without all the wars and drug usage.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
To say that "this doesn't exist" is just disingenuous.
Strong disagree. Firstly because I said "didn't exist," not "doesn't exist." Secondly, because what I was referencing in saying that was images and visuals that require technology that had not been invented yet. The astoundingly high quality sensors in DSLRs that are so common now were both brand new and much worse technologically at that point in time - even the shittiest smartphone today has better image sensing capabilities than the top of the line DSLRs from 20 years ago. Same for the sort of image processing software that we now take for granted like photoshop. For images that require technology to produce that had not yet been invented, we can definitively say it "did not exist." You could make a 3D open world rpg with dialogue options that impact the storyline stylized to look like the 1980's, that doesn't mean that such a thing actually existed at that time regardless of the fact that no one here saw it for themselves.

This is, again, why clarification of artistic reinterpretation vs. historical documentation is so important in these matters. Just own it as art and then you can do whatever the hell you want. As I said in the first post, I'm not even mad about it from the aesthetics point of view and in fact I actually like seeing it. Just don't recon yourself into believing a falsehood.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GENOSAD

Reaction score
Awards
Website
images and visuals that require technology that had not been invented yet
Buddy, you're looking at a thread that has images and visuals from the time that this aesthetic was inspired by. Cases in point...

...also not mentioning this other thread which is almost entirely examples from the era.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Buddy, you're looking at a thread that has images and visuals from the time that this aesthetic was inspired by. Cases in point...

...also not mentioning this other thread which is almost entirely examples from the era.
I'm capable of recognizing that, and never once said or implied that all of the images in this thread were impossible to create in that era. I thought we were talking about Frutiger aero as a general concept and how it relates to the points made in that video, not specifically constrained to the small number of images posted here. With that said I think I've made as much of a point here as I ever will.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
As someone who was an adult involved in various design things in that era....I can tell you FA is derived from Mac OS X and it's aqua effects. Everyone was copying it as it was new. Then Windows XP decided on blue and green with an outdoor grass wallpaper with an alternative to aqua. Everyone saw that and thought it was modern and fun. So everything copied that stuff. Windows Vista came along and made everything glass. The tech industry was pushing green energy...like Sun Microsystems and its underwater and container data center concepts. So in turn more green fields showing a clean planet shows up everywhere. Then everyone keeps copying each other. Skeuomorphic graphics were all the rage as the web moved from limited GIFs and text to heavy graphics. That brought more copy cat graphics. It's a simple as the guys who designed the UIs of the operating systems everyone used picked what they did. Everyone doing this stuff professionally used these OS's and tried to copy it. That's it. Apple's web aesthetic in the 2000s heavily influenced others....because people copy.

Trying to define it as an aesthetic after the fact is convenient for making YouTube videos and creating plots that never really happened. This was not a unified trend, it was everyone copying everyone else. It's that simple. Defining it is important to have a dialogue about it, but trying to fill more than 2 minutes in a video about it is just someone's wet dream about the past. It's a simple as this button set us down the path.
IMG_6413.jpeg

The fact these videos spend 15+ minutes repeating themselves and showing the same crap images says all you need to know.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Hobo8239

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
why did my post get deleted?

EDIT: seems like someone actually thought I was actually the one who made that video, I should clarify that I'm not and only said that for shits and giggles. In retrospect I probaby should've reserved that for a more popular Youtuber so it doesn't come off as impersonation.

Last edited:

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
fun fact, i once re-made the aqua era apple website in CSS for an aborted iPod website me and a friend were working on until they wouldn't let us buy our goddamn domain

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 22.29.48.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 22.29.48.png
    421 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 22.30.32.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 22.30.32.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 22.30.45.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 22.30.45.png
    803.1 KB · Views: 2
Virtual Cafe Awards