Fuck Aesthetic

• Thread starter Deleted member 2006
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 8525 times.

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
I liked your post before you edited it :p

Maybe it'll help if you or someone posts some examples. Because, you're right, synthwave and cyberpunk are indeed different genres. But these are very obviously not vaporwave and (at least to me) seem to only be inspired by some vapor imagery.

Synthwave:

View: https://youtu.be/ahPindVHPK4?t=301

Cyberpunk:

View: https://youtu.be/kdwESnTsBIM?t=564

So, I don't think it's really worthwhile to bring in genres like this that are composed entirely differently and sound nothing like vaporwave as examples of "not vaporwave." I don't think anyone is arguing that these are the exact same thing as "pure vaporwave" (whatever that means :p). I would have a hard time even saying that they fall under the same "vaporwave" umbrella.

What about anime, then? I return to my original point: there was no "industrial video game aesthetics" or "video game-inspired industrial" music until The Gothsicles came around. But, they're still industrial; they just incorporate elements of video games. As for what constitutes vaporwave?

Let's look at the Wikipedia article for now, but I still implore you to present your own vision of vaporwave:

Even if we flat-out ignore that "anime" is listed on vaporwave's Wikipedia entry (without citation, mind you!), how does anime not fit? Consumer capitalism, pop culture, nostalgia, surrealist, popular entertainment, technology... there's a whole lot of anime imagery that can be used to express and showcase these sorts of things. I can't help but come to conclusion that the people in this thread are insisting that anime imagery can't be used simply because they don't enjoy it themselves.

I mean, where's the line anyways? Can I produce a vaporwave song that receives your approval, and then toss a 1980's anime sample in there alongside some imagery from whatever anime it's from and suddenly it's "not vaporwave" anymore? If that's the case, I don't think I can have this discussion anymore; I think it's absurd for a genre that heavily leans on nostalgia and pop culture to gatekeep nostalgia and pop culture that they don't personally like. Vaporwave isn't yours or mine or anyone's in this thread, after all.

I don't understand "everywhere." Just seek out the vaporwave that you enjoy and consume it. If the "aesthetic" videos have all moved on to the point where you can't enjoy them anymore, it sounds like you're dealing with the problem we all do as time marches on: "I liked the old stuff," "I liked it before it got popular," "I liked it until it started to change," etc. -- I can list off YouTube channel after YouTube channel that used to make videos that I enjoyed, and I don't like that they don't make the same content as they used to, but that's life. This is going to happen again and again and again throughout your life; it's just the way it is.

I tried to search around online about the "anime aesthetic" in vapor, and of course I didn't find much that was particularly useful, but I did find a link to the thread we're posting in right now :p

I might not end up responding anymore depending on where the conversation goes. I don't see anyone really engaging with my position or my arguments. I'm happy to have my mind changed on this, but I have the opinion I do for a reason, and I've shared those reasons.

I really dont understand what everyone's problem is. Especially since if they don't like something they could just keep it to themselves. I dont like the gatekeeping. Anime is nostalgic and vaporwave is a nostalgic based genre, so I don't see the problem. And people getting super angry over it is hilarious to me. KaReNwInK

Virtual Cafe Awards
But still its everywhere and i cant escape it
Do you see 'anime vaporwave' in the room with us right now?

:MacTonight: I'm just messing around. Best of luck on your vapor journey

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
But still its everywhere and i cant escape it
アニメのヴェイパーウェイヴが気に入らなくても心配しないでください。私と他の多くのプロデューサーは今でもクラシックなスタイルのヴェイパーウェイヴを作成しています

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2006

I really dont understand what everyone's problem is. Especially since if they don't like something they could just keep it to themselves. I dont like the gatekeeping. Anime is nostalgic and vaporwave is a nostalgic based genre, so I don't see the problem. And people getting super angry over it is hilarious to me. KaReNwInK
to me anime IS NOT nostalgic other then if your japanese and plus half of the time THOSE SHOWS AREN'T EVEN ANIME.

to me anime IS NOT nostalgic other then if your japanese and plus half of the time THOSE SHOWS AREN'T EVEN ANIME.
Maybe it's nostalgic to the people making the music and/or the videos? You're always welcome to make your own, of course

Virtual Cafe Awards

Overgrowth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Anime was bound to get mixed into a genre that appeals mainly to internet nerds and comes with a bunch of Japanese aesthetic. I like seeing it because it is nostalgic to me. But there's a ton of Vaporwave out there without any anime influence, so why not just listen to that stuff and leave the rest of it for other people to enjoy if you don't like it? More art in any direction isn't a bad thing imo, and vaporwave has always been a genre with very vague boundaries. That's part of the beauty of it, there's a lot of avenues to go down. Just explore the parts you like.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Anime was bound to get mixed into a genre that appeals mainly to internet nerds and comes with a bunch of Japanese aesthetic. I like seeing it because it is nostalgic to me. But there's a ton of Vaporwave out there without any anime influence, so why not just listen to that stuff and leave the rest of it for other people to enjoy if you don't like it? More art in any direction isn't a bad thing imo, and vaporwave has always been a genre with very vague boundaries. That's part of the beauty of it, there's a lot of avenues to go down. Just explore the parts you like.
I think its super cool when nostalgic anime mixes in with vaporwave music.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

People like what they like man, and that's okay! If it brings them happiness, why should you care? Don't waste your energy on that.

Deleted member 2006

People like what they like man, and that's okay! If it brings them happiness, why should you care? Don't waste your energy on that.
Screenshot 2021-03-20 2.33.18 PM.png
doin ya mom

Virtual Cafe Awards
Gotta disagree wholeheartedly. I grew up in Sydney but some of my earliest memories are watching astro boy, the 90s ghibli animes, evangelion, cowboy bebop, etc.

animes on VHS are nostalgic af

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Can't help but notice there hasn't been a single example provided of this apparently maligned combination of anime and vaporwave (unless I skimmed too hard and missed it). I could understand the argument beyond "I don't like it" (which is valid, but to make the vague claim that it doesn't belong just because you don't like it is silly) if, perhaps, you gave an example of a vaporwave-related project involving something like a modern anime, which might not fit into the theme of nostalgia, considering it's relatively recent. At the same time, vaporwave's association with Japanese culture at large is irrevocable at this point, and to deny so in any capacity is foolish at best.

Oh fuck I mean uh :monkaW:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0gI3-DZ8KM

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2006

Interesting photos! I know you mentioned earlier that you were posting it out of context, but I'm curious what your context is if you don't mind me asking?

[/URL]
Its a young kalash women,The kalash people are a group of people who live in Afghanistan/Pakistan who have a very distinct religion that any other region in the area.They are believed to be descendants of Alexander The Great but no proof shows this.They are very identical to the Nuristani people of Afghanistan since they are both dardic,Personally i think that they are tied to the kurds since the way they build their houses,Go ahead search up Kalash or Nuristani Village and then Palangan,Kurdistan and you will see some really striking things.Buts its not just Houses oh no no no there is more to it!They look identical. This kiddo Is kurdish.But THIS kiddo is Nuristani.I could go on and on about this but thats all for now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-23 7.23.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 7.23.32 AM.png
    394.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot 2021-03-23 7.24.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 7.24.32 AM.png
    310.6 KB · Views: 74