Fun imaginary scenario: The world rewinds one day, but only 1% of people remember it. What happens?

FallingLeaves

Nature is serene
Reaction score
Awards
Hello! I had this daydream where I imagined a scenario:

At some random moment, the whole world "rewinds" one whole day.
It's like a whole 24 hours never happened. Everyone and everything is like it was the day before. Not even atomic clocks can tell the difference.
In other words, there would be no evidence that the "lost day" happened at all.

Except for the memories. Strangely, exactly 1% of the population remembers this day.
Whereas the vast majority of people feel no change, these people are shocked to suddenly be somewhere else: exactly 24 hours in the past.

What do you imagine happens from there?

FallingLeaves

Nature is serene
Reaction score
Awards
The 1% would probably be gaslit to oblivion.
I think that might happen, but only initially and only to some people. Take, for example, Greg the office worker.
His last 24 hours weren't anything special. He was riding the elevator to work when the "rewind" happened. When everyone at work seems to think it's Wednesday instead of Thursday, he might buy it. After all, his phone says it's Wednesday. Maybe he just dreamed yesterday?

But for other people, it's would be an impossible sell.
What if someone who finds themselves suddenly driving a car? Or back in another country? They would be pretty jarred by the "rewind". I think people would start corroborating their stories online pretty soon after it happened.

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Sounds like a good plot for a book or a seinen anime, you could have it so there's some kind of big terrorist attack right before the rewind or something.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Aral

Naval enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aralsheart.ichi.city
Fun? That'd be downright terrifying. Not fun by any means.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Legacy

Raised in the Wilds of Web 1.0
Reaction score
Awards
I think there's a Star Trek TNG episode with a similar idea that's made me give it some thought before

I imagine probably confusion and nobody believing the 1%, until a disproportionate number of them win lotteries or make huge day trades. After that, if it doesn't happen again and no great disaster was averted as a result of it then it'll probably just be a weird event that happened that eventually fades from the collective's memory, like the Carrington Event

Virtual Cafe Awards

FallingLeaves

Nature is serene
Reaction score
Awards
Fun? That'd be downright terrifying. Not fun by any means.
I meant fun to hypothesize about, not to live; that really would be scary!

Like:
  • What if a criminal got caught, and now has the hindsight to do something even more heinous?
  • What if you met someone and had a deep connection with them, but they don't remember you?
  • What if some scary cults or extremism happen because of these events?

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Like:
  • What if a criminal got caught, and now has the hindsight to do something even more heinous?
  • What if you met someone and had a deep connection with them, but they don't remember you?
  • What if some scary cults or extremism happen because of these events?
What if you didn't even realize you were living the same day over again until it was too late to change anything, and then had to spend the rest of your life knowing you missed out?
What if you figured it out right away but couldn't find the opportunity to make any significant changes?

Virtual Cafe Awards

calico_jack

midwest emo
Reaction score
Awards
lots of business fucker but never fear cause the SEC will write up 6000 new rules to counter it

Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
Sounds like an interesting idea. I ran some numbers with an estimate of the world's population in 2020 (some random population_by_country_2020.csv I found online) to understand what would happen a bit better. 1% of the world's population is at least 78 million people, and if we assume they were picked randomly in a uniform way then each person is as likely as any other of being picked to "remember tomorrow", so we'd see a lot of chinese and indian people (almost 20 million) maybe going on social media, which could escape english speaking communities' radar. But 3 million americans (and many other countries having above 1 million people who remember) would be pretty hard to gaslight/mandela effect them into thinking they're delusional. Specially with the possibility of any of them remembering critical information that is guaranteed to happen later, which means they can prove that they are not suddenly experiencing mass schizophrenia. So I guess it all depends on whether enough people get together to prove future events that are not easily predictable (the wheather won't work but if any winning lottery numbers were remembered by a few of the 78 million that would work).
What would also happen is many scientists would be interested about this supernatural event and its reproducibility, and they would probably define protocols to see if this could happen again to some other 1% of the world.

View: https://pastebin.com/UDQwduFz
Here's the numbers. I spent like 10 minutes total thinking about this so maybe it's completely off

Virtual Cafe Awards

FallingLeaves

Nature is serene
Reaction score
Awards
Sounds like an interesting idea. I ran some numbers with an estimate of the world's population in 2020 (some random population_by_country_2020.csv I found online) to understand what would happen a bit better. 1% of the world's population is at least 78 million people, and if we assume they were picked randomly in a uniform way then each person is as likely as any other of being picked to "remember tomorrow", so we'd see a lot of chinese and indian people (almost 20 million) maybe going on social media, which could escape english speaking communities' radar. But 3 million americans (and many other countries having above 1 million people who remember) would be pretty hard to gaslight/mandela effect them into thinking they're delusional. Specially with the possibility of any of them remembering critical information that is guaranteed to happen later, which means they can prove that they are not suddenly experiencing mass schizophrenia. So I guess it all depends on whether enough people get together to prove future events that are not easily predictable (the wheather won't work but if any winning lottery numbers were remembered by a few of the 78 million that would work).
What would also happen is many scientists would be interested about this supernatural event and its reproducibility, and they would probably define protocols to see if this could happen again to some other 1% of the world.

Here's the numbers. I spent like 10 minutes total thinking about this so maybe it's completely off

Wow, that's a lot of people. I think the world would pretty quickly realize that the 78 million weren't lying.

I wonder if some people would pretend to be part of the 1%.

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards

that was my first thought. 1% of 7.5 Billion or however many humans are there now isn't that few. Chances are that there are enough smart and/or influencial people among the 1% to raise credible awarness to that event.

Virtual Cafe Awards

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
Wow, that's a lot of people. I think the world would pretty quickly realize that the 78 million weren't lying.

I wonder if some people would pretend to be part of the 1%.
How it will turn out depends on who's part of the 78 million. If it was the President with 3 million Americans then it's guaranteed that it'll be accepted as fact. If it were all meth junkies then nobody will believe it, they might even second-guess themselves.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Steins Gate GIF by Funimation

Mad Scientist Laugh GIF by Funimation
Waving Steins Gate GIF by Funimation
Steins Gate GIF by Swaps4

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeading... steiner!
also, that SCP with Yellowstone and clones

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
What do you imagine happens from there?
If i'm part 1% i will definetly gaslight those other jackasses into make them think it actually didn't happened and they just suffered from a serious mental illness (i will actively convince others they are crazy) :tou5:

If i'm part of the 99% i will definetly vocal about it and encourage violence towards that 1% :agsmile:

Virtual Cafe Awards
I think this may have already happened and nobody cares and the normies didn't connect the dotsfff
so basically, mandela effect
CERN blackhole XD but irl
or some Contingency timeline off-branch, where idk, Acid communism and Hauntology ceased to be, only for other timeline we are in now, we now have neoliberalism "wild-west" free-market, 9/11, 2012/13, 2016 etc (covid)... instead of people standing up behind net pirates, free books, asange was never reality and we all live in mid-century-modern visually pleasing future from 50s...

Virtual Cafe Awards