Game Boy Thread

Post your own Game Boys, favourite models, and favourite games.
I have 3 models my self, an OG, a color, and advanced SP. I loved emerald edition for the advance and have lately gotten back into playing on my GB color. I like playing Mario Golf and Tetris on it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
I have a blue color and a purple advanced. I kinda wanted an atomic purple when I was a kid.
GBC_SYSTEM_ATOMIC_PURPLE.jpg

It just seemed like THE GB color for some reason.

My favorite GBA games are a trilogy of RPG's called Summon Knight: Swordcraft story

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6btdTVx-6s

The battle theme from the first games goes hard about 25 seconds in.

and maybe, JUST MAYBE that translation patch for the 3rd game will finally be finished at some point.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I have the original brick model that I've had since like Christmas 1990. Still works too.

I sold my Gameboy Color to go toward a Gameboy Advance and I sold my Gameboy Advance to go toward a DS, but I've obtained both a GBC and original GBA over the years. I have modded both with a IPS display, but have keep the original parts so I can restore them if I want. Maybe I'll post pics later.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Some games came in the post today. I ordered Tennis and Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.
20230614_170730.jpg

Tennis is pretty fun game, it's a little frustrating though. Deluxe is a good port of SMB.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Tennis is pretty fun game, it's a little frustrating though. Deluxe is a good port of SMB.
I have a copy of Deluxe where I caused some sort of stack overflow that overwrite a bunch of graphics data with junk.
IMG_20230614_194741.jpg

This is a picture of the extra's/bonus menu, oddly enough it managed to dodge the actual game and seemingly only hit some menu display data, so the game is still playable 100%.

I had a similar issue with my copy of Link's awakening, where starting a file on the third save would cause only spites to display. No backrounds allowed. This one eventually fixed itself, though it might just be because the internal battery is 100% dead and might come back if I replaced it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The gba its still the best console ever made.

It had the best ninja turtles game ever with every turtle having their own unique stages and bosses.
1686816939630.png

1686817004109.png

1686816865345.png

By far the best castlevania game

1686817139866.png

1686817256675.png

1686817274180.png

One of the best tbs ever made

1686817561440.png
1686817447332.png

1686817392554.png

1686817529880.png

The god like Max payne port

1686818324144.png

1686818372104.png

1686818415998.png

And so many others, most of the shovelware for the game boy its actually really good for movie or tv series based games, there are very few game sin the system that are actively average or below average, Its crazy how much quality they managed to cram into such a small system.

It also had the weirdest acessories

1686819453833.png

Attachments

• 1686816980492.png
    1686816980492.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 1686817348585.png
    1686817348585.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 46
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The gba its still the best console ever made.
You know what? If you count all the ports like A Link to the Past, the Mario Advance Series, Final Fantasy, Metroid Zero, Pokemon Red/Green, etc I'd be hard pressed to argue GBA doesn't have one of the best libraries of all time.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Rollingstart

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Not a gameboy, but he's my lil guy. The 2nd console I bought with my own money, and one I cherish to this day
IMG_20201014_205616.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Got my hands on a Boom Box FM reciever a couple days ago. It works pretty weel. I've been thing about taking off the back clip somehow so I can use it with a light magnifier.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I was recently playing the Pokemon Sapphire 3DS remake and...it made me miss the original. Honestly they did a great job upgrading the graphics and music but I guess I get vinyl people now because I like the original art/music better. It has more soul somehow. Maybe I just love how obnoxious the trumpets are in the original.

However I cannot find my Emerald/Sapphire carts for the life of me. I do still have a DS Lite with charger but without the cart...eh. My husband has his Ruby but I don't want to overwrite his save.

This set me on a path of looking into handheld emulator systems since I don't like using desktop or phone to play these games. And I found my personal holy grail: The Analogue Pocket.
I am so pissed I missed the preorder to get the transparent colors because look at this sexy beast:
ap_website-cropped.8b32be1380d1e35ec71fe1f4e6dc0ea8.png

Supports GB/C/A cartridges, ROMs (for my dumb forgetful self who can't find her carts), and link cables (that work with actual GB/C/As!!!). This looks perfect for my kids when they're older because I want them to have a more real experience of retro gaming without worrying about them breaking my actual old systems. And I can link between these and the real ones for Pokemans. Iirc emulation really doesn't do multiplayer right.

I love and treasure my actual handhelds, but I'm glad to see some non-china-crapware options for retro gaming coming out.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Bumping this to post my Gameboy Color.

I modded it with a IPS screen back sometime in late 2019 or early 2020. These screen were not pre laminated and so I ended up with some dust trapped in there and my screen was slightly askew, but it was still much easier on the eyes than the original screen:
old 1.jpgold 2.jpg

Fast forward to now. There are these real nice, drop in, pre laminated, glass screens that are available that emulate the individual pixels of the original screen, so I ordered one of those and put it in. I don't know how well it comes across in pictures, but it looks much nicer than the old mod:
new 2.jpg
new 1.jpg

Here is the original case and screen on the left, the old mod on the right and the new mod in the middle. Note that the new screen is actually 25% bigger which is nice because I am old as fuck:
All.jpg

Unfortunately these mods seem to always come with this really shitty D-Pad where the ball in the back it too small, causing them to not pivot properly allowing you to push three directions at once as opposed to two, causing some games like Link's Awakening to completely wig out, so I couldn't keep that green D-Pad in there and had to reuse the original one from 1998 again. This is the third shell it's been used in now. The finished mod:

finished.jpg

I definitely recommend these retro pixel screens for GBA and GBC mods. They are very nice looking in person.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I do not think I have any GameBoys left. Had about... three or four of them at some point. But, well, I do not miss'em much, since emulation is 110% perfect for those things.

I still have some cartridges lying around though. Some of them are even licensed. And that pirate LeafGreen that left a scar on my soul.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jodo_Fan

Frustrated normie.
Reaction score
Awards
Okay, I live under a rock, so you'll have to excuse me, but I just found out that devs are still making Game Boy titles. This is wonderful! Game Boy graphics are, always have been, always will be, the business.

Are people actually making a living doing this? Also, do you play them through emulators or are games still coming out on cartridges?

Amazing.

Last edited:

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Okay, I live under a rock, so you'll have to excuse me, but I just found out that devs are still making Game Boy titles. This is wonderful! Game Boy graphics are, always have been, always will be, the business.

Are people actually making a living doing this? Also, do you play them through emulators or are games still coming out on cartridges?

Amazing.
I can't imagine many people are making a living out of it; maybe a hobby that pays a few bucks. I can't imagine many people making new games and selling them are selling more than a few thousand copies. There are repro carts being made, but most people play them on flashcarts like the Everdrive or EZ Flash Jr. So for example, you find a free game or buy a game for a few bucks on itch.io, you get a rom, then you put that rom on your flashcart to play it on your gameboy.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jodo_Fan

Frustrated normie.
Reaction score
Awards
I can't imagine many people are making a living out of it; maybe a hobby that pays a few bucks. I can't imagine many people making new games and selling them are selling more than a few thousand copies. There are repro carts being made, but most people play them on flashcarts like the Everdrive or EZ Flash Jr. So for example, you find a free game or buy a game for a few bucks on itch.io, you get a rom, then you put that rom on your flashcart to play it on your gameboy.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was wanting to get an idea of how big the 'scene' is. Sorted. Hopefully, more people will start waking up to the joys of lo-fidelity gaming experiences as something other than pure nostalgia or novelty.

I'm going to go find me an emulator......

Thanks again!

Last edited: