General Fitness Thread - Discuss all things fitness here!

• Thread starter Rebel
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 15349 times.

1980Miami

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Went through a spat with the GF recently and haven't had it in me to hit the gym the pas few days. Feels bad man. Couldn't eat anything either so I dropped some weight but that's good for my cut

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I'm a martial artist, and I've recently increased the amount I've been training (joined a uni MMA club). I'm currently bulking as I'm perpetually ~10% bf and have not a whole lot of muscle mass, i've gained 1.5kg of muscle in the last month according to my smart scale.

I know a lot about fitness, diet, training, martial arts etc., so if you wanna pick my brain feel free

Virtual Cafe Awards

juicy_ricky

crusader of the glob realmz.....
Reaction score
Awards
Surfing will whip your ass into shape real quick. You want your entire core and upper body and lungs to hurt? Go paddle around for an hour. If you live near the ocean, buy a cheap surfboard and get out there. You won't regret it. Fully in tune with the glob source my bros ;)

Virtual Cafe Awards

DeathToMicroWaves

Are you being held hostage by a spider?
Reaction score
Awards
I have made a personal goal in lock down to get fitter and put some mussel on my skinny frame, so far I can do 20 proper push-ups and 70 sit-ups.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Anyone got good experience with jaw trainers? For reference, they look this this:
1605811178_1200x628.jpg

A mate told me to get one as I plan on improving on my body care into the new year and it's suppose to help exercise facial muscles so you can get rid of double chin while also improving your jawline.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Does anyone have any good sources for information/beginner guides about at-home workouts? There's a lot of shit out there but I don't know enough to be able to tell what's noise and what's actually useful. Specifically, the equipment I have are a bench press and bar, a curling bar, resistance bands, and a lateral pull-down machine. Obviously have weights for all of them. I'm in decent shape, not really skinny fat but certainly not built because I don't work out, and am probably about to be confined to my house for an extended period of time because of the sexual tension between Canada and covid shutdowns. I want to remain active and it's getting way too cold + icy to run like I normally would. Any advice is appreciated!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Novem_IX

MIAMI VICE MINDSET
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Anyone got good experience with jaw trainers? For reference, they look this this:
View attachment 13253
A mate told me to get one as I plan on improving on my body care into the new year and it's suppose to help exercise facial muscles so you can get rid of double chin while also improving your jawline.
These products are gimmicks from everything I have seen. And they can possibly damage your face due to the unnatural stress they place on incisors.
The best way to improve your jawline is weight loss. Mewing can also be beneficial if you stick with it, but nothing will change your face like reducing BF.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
These products are gimmicks from everything I have seen. And they can possibly damage your face due to the unnatural stress they place on incisors.
The best way to improve your jawline is weight loss. Mewing can also be beneficial if you stick with it, but nothing will change your face like reducing BF.
I've done mewing for ages, especially with gum, but gum that isn't full of shit like aspartame is expensive, and quite frankly I have little facial fat as it is so I want the next step up. Could it damage me? Possibly, but there risks in everything and you gotta try this stuff, plus a better jawline is key to better facial aesthetics so fuck it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I've done mewing for ages, especially with gum, but gum that isn't full of shit like aspartame is expensive, and quite frankly I have little facial fat as it is so I want the next step up. Could it damage me? Possibly, but there risks in everything and you gotta try this stuff, plus a better jawline is key to better facial aesthetics so fuck it.
I'm curious. Have you seen any noticeable improvements? Mewing is one of those things that I've been tangentially aware of but never looked into because it sounded too weird to be real.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
I'm curious. Have you seen any noticeable improvements? Mewing is one of those things that I've been tangentially aware of but never looked into because it sounded too weird to be real.
I guess a little bit, in the end jawline is mostly genetics and facial development during puberty so only so much you can do, but it's worth a go trying out as less facial fat the better.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SEVEN

angry little manlet
Reaction score
Awards
I used to go to the gym but that stopped with covid because the friggin gyms all closed down for several months and yet were still charging my bank account. I work a physical job and manage to stay relatively fit. Im by no means the perfect picture of health by I do my best. My cardio has taken the biggest hit here because the winter cold made me lazy and I dont run like I used too.

This is a relatively current image. I've put on a few lbs but Im working to take them back off. cut 4lbs in the last 3 days by simply not eating jack shit.
7F206034-E818-4D89-9A4E-86858E609FD6.jpeg

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
I used to go to the gym but that stopped with covid because the friggin gyms all closed down for several months and yet were still charging my bank account. I work a physical job and manage to stay relatively fit. Im by no means the perfect picture of health by I do my best. My cardio has taken the biggest hit here because the winter cold made me lazy and I dont run like I used too.

This is a relatively current image. I've put on a few lbs but Im working to take them back off. cut 4lbs in the last 3 days by simply not eating jack shit.
View attachment 13340
Fuaarrrkk bro great physique

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Does anyone have any good sources for information/beginner guides about at-home workouts? There's a lot of shit out there but I don't know enough to be able to tell what's noise and what's actually useful. Specifically, the equipment I have are a bench press and bar, a curling bar, resistance bands, and a lateral pull-down machine. Obviously have weights for all of them. I'm in decent shape, not really skinny fat but certainly not built because I don't work out, and am probably about to be confined to my house for an extended period of time because of the sexual tension between Canada and covid shutdowns. I want to remain active and it's getting way too cold + icy to run like I normally would. Any advice is appreciated!
Quite literally all you need is a barbell and weights and you work most muscles. If you have a bench press and a bar you're good. If you can get a squat rack even better since squats are really the core of compound work. This book is great for perfecting your form and understanding how to work the barbell properly for compound exercises:

Amazon product ASIN 0982522738View: https://www.amazon.ca/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/0982522738

Many generations of lifters at my gym learned from this book including myself. If you want to simplify your life the Stronglifts 5x5 app is perfect to start and build a good foundation. It uses most of the workouts from the book I linked.

Once lockdowns are over depending on where you are in CA I can also recommend a great old school gym with a great community, mostly boomers and old natty bodybuilders. PM me for that.

Other than that if you're looking for specific stuff YT has everything nowadays, so does the sticky on /fit/ though I cant recommend the rest of the board anymore with all the thirst posting. You could also easily get built with bodyweight stuff alone though it is boring. Take creatine and protein if you arnt already. MyProtein is the cheapest and delivers to CA with some pretty good options.

Virtual Cafe Awards

proto

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards