General Fitness Thread - Discuss all things fitness here!

• Thread starter Rebel
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 15343 times.

Mamisu

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
You've all inspired me to stop being lazy. Starting a workout routine today.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
I know this is the most basic question/issue imaginable, but where do I begin? Ever since quarantine I got out of shape and I want to finally do something about it. I don't have access to a gym, but am looking for decent resources on diets/basic stuff I can do to start losing weight and get back into my old cross country running shape. I don't really trust the stuff that shows up on internet searches since I assume they all just want to sell me shit.
Wanted to do a progress check in. It's been about 5 months in since I took the advice in this thread and seriously dedicated myself to getting back in shape. I combined the suggestions regarding calorie intake with an elimination of carbs and intermittent fasting and am down a little over 40lbs, sitting at around 158lbs total. Feels fantastic fitting in my old clothes and feeling comfortable in my own skin again, not feeling like I have this bulky gut awkwardly sticking out. Finally getting back to my pre-lockdown form.

Hoping I can reach 150lbs by the end of the year, but probably a little unrealistic, especially with Thanksgiving coming up ;)

After that I'll move onto toning/improving my figure.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards

Deadchief1175

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I do a PPL split and go 6 days a week and have rest day on sunday. Right now im on my last training program before i go into my cut. I've bulked since october and have gained about 20 pounds (165lbs-185lbs). I plan to cut for 17 weeks and then maintain for a month and start all over again. Wish me luck as its my first cut but this is also the most progress ive ever made at the gym. Currently suppleminting with creatine on rest day and Gorilla mode nitric preworkout on training days. Cheers everyone on their progress so far~

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
How do I find out how many calories I burn while sedentary? I've tried losing weight in the past but it never works, I stay the same (Though I dont get more body mass either). Like how do i find out how may calories I burn a day so that I can calculate an appropiate Calorie intake?

And are you supossed to do exercise everyday? Doesnt that fuck your muscles up? (not in a good way) Like some people say do cardio everyday, I've tried that. But say I do a circuit the day before, then the next day I do cardio and my legs hurt too much, not the feels-good pain you get while exercising, but rather an acute pain on the muscle of the legs. That cant be good right?

I remember there was a point too where I was doing a lot of exercise and I was actually gaining more weight, that went on for about a month or two with the same diet I had while I didn't exercise. My gym coach told me it was cause my body thought I needed more energy it started saving more fat.

It doesn't help that I'm autistic so I have trouble getting the right position for some exercises.

I'm not in a bad shape, and I exercise 3-4 times a week, but I feel like I will never loose weight. Thankfully I've built some muscle lol.

But agorafit bros, where to look in order to lose weight? I think the first thing is to figure out the metabolism of your body, but how do I do that?

Virtual Cafe Awards

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
How do I find out how many calories I burn while sedentary? I've tried losing weight in the past but it never works, I stay the same (Though I dont get more body mass either). Like how do i find out how may calories I burn a day so that I can calculate an appropiate Calorie intake?
A young male person usually burns around 2000 calories each day, most of it at night when you sleep. High volume low calorie foods like pretty much anything unprocessed and plant-based are a good way to keep your intake under control.

And are you supossed to do exercise everyday? Doesnt that fuck your muscles up? (not in a good way) Like some people say do cardio everyday, I've tried that. But say I do a circuit the day before, then the next day I do cardio and my legs hurt too much, not the feels-good pain you get while exercising, but rather an acute pain on the muscle of the legs. That cant be good right?
No, you should be resting at least a day every week. Some calisthenics and light cardio like slow jogging or skipping is fine every day if you have that itch to exercise but it's a bad idea to run a few miles every day. If you lift weights it's generally recommended to train two muscle groups with each workout and have a day all for legs.
I'm not in a bad shape, and I exercise 3-4 times a week, but I feel like I will never loose weight. Thankfully I've built some muscle lol.
You can't lose weight and build muscle at the same time. Losing weight is pretty straightforward, calories in < calories out. Thankfully, assuming that you're quite young you should get your beginner gains quickly and become visibly muscular in no time. Don't worry much about your weight, it'll fix itself if you eat clean (no junk food, processed sugars) consistently. It's also a good idea to consume more protein since that's what helps increase your height.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards

I remember there was a point too where I was doing a lot of exercise and I was actually gaining more weight, that went on for about a month or two with the same diet I had while I didn't exercise. My gym coach told me it was cause my body thought I needed more energy it started saving more fat.

It doesn't help that I'm autistic so I have trouble getting the right position for some exercises.

But agorafit bros, where to look in order to lose weight? I think the first thing is to figure out the metabolism of your body, but how do I do that?
You can use this https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html to roughly estimate your calorie needs.
I you're like me it may take a long ass time before you start loosing any weight even with a consistent diet. I started at 210 pounds and increased to 220, which I maintained for 8 friggin months before suddenly shifting down to 160 over the course of 2~3 months without any changes in my diet.
Generally it's advised to have 2 full break days per week. Remember building muscle also increases weight, so it's less about weight itself and more the ratio of fat/muscle that gives a good look.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Oh something else to take into consideration is that you may not necessarily be gaining more fat, your body might just being storing fat differently than when you weren't exercising.
I used to have quite a bit of deep organ fat that made my stomach jut out a little, though the skin was tight. After I started working out my body burnt through the deep fat, causing my inner frame to shrink quite a bit, but began storing the fat under the skin. So I don't look very toned atm, though you can still tell I have muscle underneath.

Virtual Cafe Awards

agoratoad

hello
Reaction score
Awards
Website
basementcommunity.com
Pardon my french but,

I just want to stop looking like a skinny-fat faggot for once AARRRGHHHH!

Anyways, I have some incredible news to share. I can do 5 pull-ups in a row now. Before I could barely do 2. :neddancE:
bodies are made mostly in the kitchen, my dude. start tracking everything you put in your body

I-330

certified loon
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
i330.dev
Been going to the gym ~every other day for past few months. I'm feeling quite comfortable with my legs&core, but I can't for the life of my make any noticeable gains in my arms and shoulders. Any recommendations for building arm muscle specifically? I feel like I'm doing a solid variety of exercises and I feel sore after work outs. idk, advice appreciated.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deadchief1175

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Been going to the gym ~every other day for past few months. I'm feeling quite comfortable with my legs&core, but I can't for the life of my make any noticeable gains in my arms and shoulders. Any recommendations for building arm muscle specifically? I feel like I'm doing a solid variety of exercises and I feel sore after work outs. idk, advice appreciated.

What are you currently doing for arms? Are you working triceps and biceps? I would always prioritize triceps over biceps just because the biceps get worked so much with other workouts and triceps give the arms are more "fuller" look.

Skullcrushers, Tricep cable pulldowns, and good ol bicep curls specifically have helped me the most personally.

Virtual Cafe Awards