Generative music, aka get a semi-modular and profit

LOB

Synth enthusiast, enslaved by mycelium
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtube.com
Anyone else mess around with generative stuff? Particularly with hardware, I'd love to hear your methods, ideas and results.

Here's an example with CVs from a Minibrute 2s controlling a Model D. The sequencer is randomly playing notes from Dm, certain frequencies are weighted by including them multiple times in the sequence. Gate length and filter decay are being randomised through attenuated LFOs. You can create big variations just by tweaking any of these elements, and the Valhalla Supermassive Reverb just melds it together.

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
I have played around a little bit but it doesn't take much for VCV Rack to overwhelm my poor computer. I do wish the program could be more performant, but anyway I want to pick up one of those sequencing Arturia's with CV output and use it with my Neutron, which has remained untouched for a while out of a lack of interest in making music lately.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LOB

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtube.com
I have played around a little bit but it doesn't take much for VCV Rack to overwhelm my poor computer. I do wish the program could be more performant, but anyway I want to pick up one of those sequencing Arturia's with CV output and use it with my Neutron, which has remained untouched for a while out of a lack of interest in making music lately.
Some of the stuff you can achieve with modular software blows me away but I can imagine it's intense on the cpu. The sequencer and patch bay on the Minibrute make it an absolute powerhouse, highly recommend

WKYK

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Reaction score
Awards
Website
wkyk.neocities.org
What is the most cost effective way to get into this stuff? I've been so fascinated by modular, been watching vids and stuff on it for at least a year now, but I'm a college student so I can't afford to drop thousands on a nice rack ;( right now I have a Model:Cycles and it's been wonderful but what would you recommend for starters in modular?

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
I do wish the program could be more performant
Orca
It's a bit of an unusual generative music, since it's made by some folks who live on a boat and write software that's as low power consumption as possible for their uses. You'll find, even a Nintendo DS Lite can run it.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: LOB

LOB

Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtube.com
What is the most cost effective way to get into this stuff? I've been so fascinated by modular, been watching vids and stuff on it for at least a year now, but I'm a college student so I can't afford to drop thousands on a nice rack ;( right now I have a Model:Cycles and it's been wonderful but what would you recommend for starters in modular?
The 2nd hand market is your friend. Before going into a complex, expensive modular rig pick up a semi modular with a featureful patch bay. The minibrute 2S is a great example of this (but not the only one out there). It's a great standalone synth, and is fully functional without owning a single patch cable. But with that patch bay, it can interface with so many other instruments, and teaches you the basics, with a great selection of features like 2 LFOs, an ADSR and AD filter, attenuators, amp. It also has 4 tracks in the sequencer two of which can be customised to control almost anything, with their own output patch points. You can basically use one voice as a drum machine and play the other, it's great.

There are other examples of semi modulars that bridge the gap to modular, so check out eBay or Facebook marketplace/location specific marketplace and do some research on anything you buy. (audiopilz bad gear reviews are a great resource)

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
'm a college student so I can't afford to drop thousands on a nice rack
Sorry dude, you're like me, there is no getting into modular for now. Settle for software options for the moment. I fully intend to get right into making a massive module collection whenever I get that elusive high-paying computer job. But if you're really insistent... have a shot at secondhand like the above says, though I feel like that works better if you live somewhere like the US or EU instead of Australia. I have one piece of gear called the Behringer Neutron, its alright, theres some small complaints but its a ton of different modules in a single semimodular synth for a low price.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: LOB

WKYK

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Reaction score
Awards
Website
wkyk.neocities.org
The 2nd hand market is your friend. Before going into a complex, expensive modular rig pick up a semi modular with a featureful patch bay. The minibrute 2S is a great example of this (but not the only one out there). It's a great standalone synth, and is fully functional without owning a single patch cable. But with that patch bay, it can interface with so many other instruments, and teaches you the basics, with a great selection of features like 2 LFOs, an ADSR and AD filter, attenuators, amp. It also has 4 tracks in the sequencer two of which can be customised to control almost anything, with their own output patch points. You can basically use one voice as a drum machine and play the other, it's great.

There are other examples of semi modulars that bridge the gap to modular, so check out eBay or Facebook marketplace/location specific marketplace and do some research on anything you buy. (audiopilz bad gear reviews are a great resource)
I've seen some of those synths with patch bays and they look so cool. Do you think secondhand is a good option with stuff like this? I mean obviously you recommended it but I guess I come from a perspective where a lot of the time electronics sold on ebay and other sites are broken or tampered with which scares me. But I'll definitely look into it.
And also I love audiopilz videos, I like how he always creates tracks with the gear he's reviewing and he's pretty solid at making good music :^)

Sorry dude, you're like me, there is no getting into modular for now. Settle for software options for the moment. I fully intend to get right into making a massive module collection whenever I get that elusive high-paying computer job. But if you're really insistent... have a shot at secondhand like the above says, though I feel like that works better if you live somewhere like the US or EU instead of Australia. I have one piece of gear called the Behringer Neutron, its alright, theres some small complaints but its a ton of different modules in a single semimodular synth for a low price.
Yeah it definitely might have to wait, I don't spend a lot of money on other stuff anyway but still unless I can find one for cheap used its probably a no go for me.

Virtual Cafe Awards