Harry Potter and the Privacy of the world wide Web.

Reaction score
Awards
As large scale technological development continues to be consolidated by only a few international companies, (Google, Facebook) the privacy for the general public continues to decrease, as more people are subjected to urban sprawl and loss of community, circles of friends, even support groups like families. Is it possible that, through the art form of Vaporwave that critiques as much as it supports the system of privacy loss, greater connections can be created through the appreciation of the A E S T H E T I C ?

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

I've seen a couple of people mention that they struggle to find places they can just talk and be themselves, but that they can do that here. I pretty much feel the same. I think as a community centered on vaporwave, this place creates greater connections for a lot of people, but I think it varies from community to community. It's not like this forum is anything like say, the vaporwave community on twitter or >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk

Reaction score
Awards
I've seen a couple of people mention that they struggle to find places they can just talk and be themselves, but that they can do that here. I pretty much feel the same. I think as a community centered on vaporwave, this place creates greater connections for a lot of people, but I think it varies from community to community. It's not like this forum is anything like say, the vaporwave community on twitter or >>redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk
We now have access to a quasi-telepathy, through information processing technology, to communicate to others globally within minutes. Even with such a vast hyper connection, however, it is still such a pleasure to enjoy a moment of solitude. There is such peace in the middle of a small bamboo glen, listening to the wind going through the leaves early in the morning, a nearby river flowing in streams, both in ponds and podcasts. Do you think that this distinct differentiation, between the electronic world and the natural one, will continue to exist, or will we have no choice but to remain plugged in 24/7 in the next ten years?

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

We now have access to a quasi-telepathy, through information processing technology, to communicate to others globally within minutes. Even with such a vast hyper connection, however, it is still such a pleasure to enjoy a moment of solitude. There is such peace in the middle of a small bamboo glen, listening to the wind going through the leaves early in the morning, a nearby river flowing in streams, both in ponds and podcasts. Do you think that this distinct differentiation, between the electronic world and the natural one, will continue to exist, or will we have no choice but to remain plugged in 24/7 in the next ten years?
This is so true! I think this global communication makes moments of solitude all that more meaningful, knowing you can speak to people and be alone whenever you want to. It makes it so all communication can at least to some degree be on your terms, communication is more accessible, smalltalk and false pretenses are easier to avoid if you find the right community online, whereas in person you may never be able to escape those things. There is less stress in communication, it's easier to speak to people you want to speak to about things you want to speak about, and you can simply log off quietly. It might just be me but it has a sense of organization and ease that I value a lot.

I think more and more people will begin doing their jobs online, and moving their social circles to online, but I think we as people need to be able to go outside to be healthy. It's hard to gauge the trajectory technology will take, because it is advancing so fast and societies are forced to embrace new integrations equally as fast. Every year there are more advances, and every year there are different societal pressures. We all have to be ready for change at all times, and I think for that to remain functional a connection to the natural world is crucial, because with an increasingly more digital society the only place you can take a break from it is outside. I think we'd all have mental breakdowns if we were plugged in 24/7, so I hope that never happens.

If we were plugged in 24/7, it'd probably take more than 10 years to achieve that. There's a lot of things that ride on people going outside to function, like the tourism industry, zoology, marine biology, nature reserves, anything that involves the study of the natural world really, a lot of the human medical field, etc. I might be wrong about some of these, they might already be being converted to a digital environment, but I feel like so many of these things hinge on going outside, even if they have certain digital adaptations already. We have submarine drones but we're still sending people into the ocean in submarines for a lot of reasons.

Reaction score
Awards
In ten years, it may be possible that choosing to not have a cell phone, a computer, and a form of internet connection will be illegal and/ or with financial punishment. In ten years, CRISPR gene editing technology will forever change the chromosome, the quality of the gene pool, the reduction of hereditary tumor and cancer, with the trade off of strange, mutagenic consequence.

And in ten years, we both may be both off the grid.

Vaporwave will still have existed; we will have had the opportunity to appreciate it. Let's see if we can deactivate our Facebook accounts and minimalize our online footprint, reduce the amount of eyes permanently recording our lives. Our online friends and family are important, but so too must our privacy be maintained.

Virtual Cafe Awards

cryptfrog

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
In ten years, it may be possible that choosing to not have a cell phone, a computer, and a form of internet connection will be illegal and/ or with financial punishment.
There already is a financial penalty to these which is that it's very difficult to get a job and do normal things. I highly doubt they would bother making it illegal when it already is such a burden to you.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa
Reaction score
Awards
There already is a financial penalty to these which is that it's very difficult to get a job and do normal things. I highly doubt they would bother making it illegal when it already is such a burden to you.
Crap. Now that you mention it, that's basically happening right now.

Virtual Cafe Awards