Has anyone here wondered if Jesus is a mushroom?

PsychoPete

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The thought crossed my mind today, when I recalled a moment when I hit an all-time low and prayed to Jesus. The spark that went off inside of me, this feeling of assurance I had was so much like the experiences I've had under the influence of psilocybin. When people say Jesus appears to them, they don't recall seeing an actual person, more like an indescribable being.

Other things that crossed my mind were things like the eucharist. If you're consuming the body of Christ, it sounds a lot to me like you're taking a psychedelic substance. Also, the son of God is born to a virgin? And also I was watching Joe Rogan talking to this Mike Pollan guy about how religion is influenced on psychedelics. IDK... I'm not the best at articulating myself, but I'm definitely making some connections.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 795

That's an old connection, actually...you're certainly not the first to notice it! When the ethnobotanist R. Gordon Wasson was able to study the use of psilocybes by Oaxacan shamen, he said that the connection between how the sacraments of communion were treated and the similar reverence that was given to the mushrooms was quite evident. Now, the other interesting thing about the 1956 study that Wasson did in Oaxaca is that it was funded by the CIA as an MKULTRA black project...but instead of giving The Company some new brainscrambler cocktail, it wound up drawing a lot of attention to the psilocybes. Then a couple of years later, these two guys at Harvard (with yet more CIA money!) worked with psilocybin in a couple of experiments...one of which was the "Easter Sunday Chapel Trip" experiment, in which the religious/spiritual connections were noted yet again, but this time with geeky Haaavaaad kids.

Oh...and those two guys? You know 'em: Dr. Timothy Leary and Dr. Richard Alpert, who later changed his name to Baba Ram Dass after HIS religious awakening through LSD and psilocybin!

PsychoPete

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
That's an old connection, actually...you're certainly not the first to notice it! When the ethnobotanist R. Gordon Wasson was able to study the use of psilocybes by Oaxacan shamen, he said that the connection between how the sacraments of communion were treated and the similar reverence that was given to the mushrooms was quite evident. Now, the other interesting thing about the 1956 study that Wasson did in Oaxaca is that it was funded by the CIA as an MKULTRA black project...but instead of giving The Company some new brainscrambler cocktail, it wound up drawing a lot of attention to the psilocybes. Then a couple of years later, these two guys at Harvard (with yet more CIA money!) worked with psilocybin in a couple of experiments...one of which was the "Easter Sunday Chapel Trip" experiment, in which the religious/spiritual connections were noted yet again, but this time with geeky Haaavaaad kids.

Oh...and those two guys? You know 'em: Dr. Timothy Leary and Dr. Richard Alpert, who later changed his name to Baba Ram Dass after HIS religious awakening through LSD and psilocybin!
Yea thats crazy! I often wonder if psilocybin was a driving force in the advancement of humanity and it does seem like shadowy 3 letter Alphabet groups have this knowledge. But was also looking into Graham Hancock and his research of a lost civilization in the Amazon and their use of DMT.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 795

Hancock's work, to me, just seems like rehashed Von Daniken and his cryptohistorical nonsense. BUT...the DMT use in the Amazon was already majorly documented decades previously, mainly thanks to the work of the ethnobotanist and jungle exploring BADASS, R. E. Schultes. It was Schultes, also, who was one of the first to study the use of ololiuqui in Oaxaca...which resulted in finding the _second_ natural source for Lysergic Amides (Dr. Hoffman used the already-known rye ergot fungus for his research and subsequent famous bike ride through Zurich). Check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Evans_Schultes We know a metric fuckton about naturally-occuring psychedelics thanks to Schultes' and Wasson's research in the decades prior to the illegalization of psychedelics in the late 1960s. And it's really fascinating how these various indigenous groups developed what turned out to be rather chemically complex plant combinations in which the various psychedelic agents are perfectly synergized...for example, the use of "yopo", which requires some ground seeds of Mimosa hostilis for the DMT source...but also, leaves from the Psychotria viridis tree, which just happen to contain the necessary MAO inhibitor needed to "unlock" the DMT once it's in the user's system. Things such as ayahuasca, yopo, etc ALL have these sorts of DMT vs MAOI potentiation, something which was clearly the work of many centuries of indigenous use.

PsychoPete

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hancock's work, to me, just seems like rehashed Von Daniken and his cryptohistorical nonsense. BUT...the DMT use in the Amazon was already majorly documented decades previously, mainly thanks to the work of the ethnobotanist and jungle exploring BADASS, R. E. Schultes. It was Schultes, also, who was one of the first to study the use of ololiuqui in Oaxaca...which resulted in finding the _second_ natural source for Lysergic Amides (Dr. Hoffman used the already-known rye ergot fungus for his research and subsequent famous bike ride through Zurich). Check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Evans_Schultes We know a metric fuckton about naturally-occuring psychedelics thanks to Schultes' and Wasson's research in the decades prior to the illegalization of psychedelics in the late 1960s. And it's really fascinating how these various indigenous groups developed what turned out to be rather chemically complex plant combinations in which the various psychedelic agents are perfectly synergized...for example, the use of "yopo", which requires some ground seeds of Mimosa hostilis for the DMT source...but also, leaves from the Psychotria viridis tree, which just happen to contain the necessary MAO inhibitor needed to "unlock" the DMT once it's in the user's system. Things such as ayahuasca, yopo, etc ALL have these sorts of DMT vs MAOI potentiation, something which was clearly the work of many centuries of indigenous use.
Do you think that's a coincidence that they just so happen to mix the right plants together and make the necessary effect of DMT? Well I guess you could argue that they experimented and mixed a bunch of plants together in trial and error.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 795

It's definitely no coincidence. I'm sure that it likely took quite a bit of time for the various DMT/MAOI combinations to be tried and either used or...potentially through some horrible drug interactions...avoided like the plague. Whenever you're playing with potentiating antagonistic chemicals by throwing them into your brain and letting them fight it out, you are absolutely juggling chainsaws and rabid ferrets. And MAOIs can be VERY dangerous in numerous combinations with other substances, up to and including certain foods.

But at the same time, consider that degree of risk, then temper it against the importance placed on these substances by those indigenous peoples. Clearly, they feel there's a benefit there that vastly outweighs very clear dangers.

saint6ix

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
mushroom-santa.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Yea thats crazy! I often wonder if psilocybin was a driving force in the advancement of humanity and it does seem like shadowy 3 letter Alphabet groups have this knowledge. But was also looking into Graham Hancock and his research of a lost civilization in the Amazon and their use of DMT.
Terence McKenna actually made this argument calling it the stoned ape theory. It could be that some major spiritual stories might have been a result of this without knowledge that it was a hallucination. One could argue that truths derived from hallucinations are in fact actually something you experience, making them no less real than any other memory, and if you are in biblical times you may Tell them like they really happened.

plenty of research does show that psilocybin has a neurogenesis effect, resulting in new neural pathways being created which would be an evolutionary advancement should a gang of apes imbibe it regularly during crucial decision periods.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

he's not. I don't think psychadelic mushrooms grow out there

having said that jesus, or at least the people writing his stories were on ergot or more likely acacia

Deleted member 1930

jesus was not a mushroom but christianity itself is an extension of existential thought brought up by psychedelics' usage

the core philosophy of all religions is derived from things people realize/discover when tripping balls

there are many avenues take to reach the kind of things religions teach. mushrooms, burning acacia, lsd, meditation, etc, so in a way jesus is a "mushroom"

-SteampunkTraveler-

Some Random Occultist
Reaction score
Awards
Website
boardsofthenorth.freeforums.net
jesus was not a mushroom but christianity itself is an extension of existential thought brought up by psychedelics' usage

the core philosophy of all religions is derived from things people realize/discover when tripping balls

there are many avenues take to reach the kind of things religions teach. mushrooms, burning acacia, lsd, meditation, etc, so in a way jesus is a "mushroom"
yes probably , idk if i should say this but most prophets were schizophrenic so yeah....but still miracles / magic kind of exists

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Jesus wasn't literally a mushroom, but the evidence is there for Christianity being an adaptation of the Mysteries for a Semitic/Greek/Eastern Roman audience. I'd really recommend this book (pic rel), it goes through the archaeological and historical evidence (including new direct evidence of various points) really thoroughly, and makes a pretty airtight case.

>he's not. I don't think psychedelic mushrooms grow out there
Interestingly, psychedelic mushrooms grow in every biome in the world except inner Antarctica. Where humans can live, so can Psilocybes (or Paneolus)

The author did a JRE, it's much better than the Pollan one mentioned by OP. I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you don't have the attention span to read a book.
Other books on the subject or related: The Road to Eleusis (Carl Ruck), The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross (John M. Allegro). Don't bother with these unless you really care, they're outdated and boring academic reads.

Attachments

• 9781250270917.jpg
    9781250270917.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 87
Virtual Cafe Awards

bees

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Do you think that's a coincidence that they just so happen to mix the right plants together and make the necessary effect of DMT? Well I guess you could argue that they experimented and mixed a bunch of plants together in trial and error.
They say "the plants told them how" or something to that effect.

Virtual Cafe Awards

greyetch

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
grwfoote.bandcamp.com
The thought crossed my mind today, when I recalled a moment when I hit an all-time low and prayed to Jesus. The spark that went off inside of me, this feeling of assurance I had was so much like the experiences I've had under the influence of psilocybin. When people say Jesus appears to them, they don't recall seeing an actual person, more like an indescribable being.

Other things that crossed my mind were things like the eucharist. If you're consuming the body of Christ, it sounds a lot to me like you're taking a psychedelic substance. Also, the son of God is born to a virgin? And also I was watching Joe Rogan talking to this Mike Pollan guy about how religion is influenced on psychedelics. IDK... I'm not the best at articulating myself, but I'm definitely making some connections.
So I'm actually a Christian and I believe that there is a lot of early Christianity that is missing from the New Testament. That isn't a fringe theory, you can read the Nag Hammadi library and find almost nothing in common with mainstream Christianity. The whole Neo-Platonist influence and Gnosticism were washed out over the years. Unfortunately, I believe that these parts are most important (behind trying to be like Christ, treat others with kindness, etc).

Here are Adam and Eve and the tree of life. The tree of life is a mushroom. Here's a book on the connection between Christianity and mushrooms - focusing on the linguistics. If you can read koine Greek (or Attic, or even modern to a lesser extent), the New Testament (and other early Christian texts) become INSANELY esoteric. Our agreed upon English translations are just one interpretation. A MASSIVE amount of the Greek language used is unclear, and scholars argue over it constantly. I went to school for Classics, so my Attic Greek is fine for translating inscriptions, but not good enough to interpret the religious texts with any confidence. There are also Greek records of psychedelic substances (and rituals) predating Christianity - like Kykeon.

Kykeon was probably Ergot, naturally occurring fungus on grains like wheat. It is where we synthesized LSD-40 from. It has been theorized that some European dancing plagues may have been the result of bad grain making everyone trip.

But to go fully schitzo - I think mushrooms somehow let us partially tap into a collective un/consciousness. I think different religions have figured out different ways to do this, as well, like transcendental meditation. I obviously have no proof of this, but it feels right. The things I've seen/experienced on trips were analogous to the concept of gnosis or anamnesis in the Platonic sense. That is to say, remembering what we have always known, but somehow forgot. Collective un/consciousness? Ancestral/genetic memory? I have no clue. But there is something to all this.

Los Angeles Love GIF by MUTANT MAGIC
Be Not Afraid Rainbow GIF by Sarah Zucker

Virtual Cafe Awards

W1NTER

Ephemeral Cosmic Interloper
Reaction score
Awards
I would argue that Jesus and his teachings have were not merely a product of psychedelic induced hallucinations but simply humanity taking metaphorical theology and understanding it through different lenses that change naturally throughout time, perhaps maybe there was someone who was high and wrote the bible but there is still an awful lot of symbolism with stuff like the Bible and the teachings of Christianity

Virtual Cafe Awards

anagram.nagaram

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

Guys I'm starting to think maybe Julius Caesar was a boat. Think about it, how could a person cross the Rubicon?

Virtual Cafe Awards