Homebrew & Retro Modding

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
254.jpg

Surprised no homebrew related thread has been created on here yet so here we go.

To those uninformed: homebrew essentially means custom, unofficial software made for a system. They can range from improvements or modifications to existing games/apps, to full-out new and original pieces of software or system overhauls. Feel free to share your favourites.

Also, on this thread I'd like to encourage the discussion of console modding too as there are so many cool customisations you can do to old systems these days. Bigger screens, light up buttons, ability to play games faster; modded systems offer great ways to enjoy classic games more and ensure your system's longevity if you replace the old parts with more sustainable ones.
il_fullxfull.2755664625_mas3.jpg

Reliable backlit screens have been a Godsend for Gameboys

The modding community is rich in history too and there have been many interesting stories in how exploits within systems were found to make homebrew software even run in first place. Take the story of the Cubic Ninia exploit for an example which is a miracle in how it was even found
View: https://youtu.be/ImR-TdDAIJE
Hope this thread gets some good conversation going as I've been getting into rom hacks again as of late and would love to find some new ones.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

I modded my Snes Classic mini with some sega and gba emulators and roms

Deleted member 1930

How much work did that require? Never knew they had much modding potential
Very easy

The snes and nes mini are powered by usb, so you can just plug it into a pc or whatever

this was a few years ago so the process is fuzzy, but you just install the emulator onto it and then your roms. Whoever figured out how to do it did a good job in making it very few steps or very complicated

google it up

obviously it has limits though, no n64 or ps1 or anything lol

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
I think we ought to have a separated electronic-gore thread for the sheer amount of awe inspiring cringe that is out there.
Go ahead and create it, the videogames board on here needs some new life

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
My modded FunnyPlaying Gameboy Colour that I bought on eBay on a drunk night out and still have
20220118_193748.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Does OG Xbox count as retro now? I have a modded one of those. Its got extended internal storage, XBMC, a bunch of custom software, and games burned straight to the drive. Its very convenient, to be honest.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Does OG Xbox count as retro now? I have a modded one of those. Its got extended internal storage, XBMC, a bunch of custom software, and games burned straight to the drive. Its very convenient, to be honest.
To me everything that has more than 20 years is retro, so yeah, PS2, Xbox and Gamecube are retro at least for me, there was a lot of modding and homebrews for the xbox and ps2 tho.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
To me everything that has more than 20 years is retro, so yeah, PS2, Xbox and Gamecube are retro at least for me, there was a lot of modding and homebrews for the xbox and ps2 tho.
OG xbox is more than 2 decades old??? :confusedMikasa: :confusedMikasa: :confusedMikasa: Please kill me.

Virtual Cafe Awards