How do i make people not go to me for simple file things

ETierhuman

MAIN EVENT ETIER IS NOW IN YOUR FORUM!!!!!
Reaction score
Awards
So I have a hard-drive full of flash games and some semi-popular games but I got tired of giving the drive to people cause I started using it for personal stuff. A couple of months later, someone finds a google drive full of games but only plays the .exe games and doesn't know how to unzip a file. They go to me and I do it. Soon after everyone is on that drive including me but that's like 7th and half of the 8th grade and only 2 other people know to unzip a file but they still keep going to me to help them. Tbh with how techy this one kid is you'd think he'd know right? doesn't even know how to use an emulator. How do I stop this, they know what to do but they are too lazy to do it.
I'm not that techy so stick to normal people language.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Do zoomers really not know how to extract zipped files? How has a generation that grew up with computers end up as tech illiterate as boomers?

Virtual Cafe Awards

ETierhuman

MAIN EVENT ETIER IS NOW IN YOUR FORUM!!!!!
Reaction score
Awards
Do zoomers not know how to extract zipped files? How has a generation that grew up with computers ended up as tech-illiterate as boomers?
Oh na my school is just really stupid im in 7th and people are taking 15 seconds read 3 words

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
Virtual Cafe Awards
Do zoomers really not know how to extract zipped files? How has a generation that grew up with computers end up as tech illiterate as boomers?
Any kid born after 2003 can't computer. All they know is ipad, app store, charge they phone, eat hot chip and lie

Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
7th grade is a pit of hell and so is all of middle school
Second this 7th graders are fucking demons. I respect any teacher with the patience to deal with them. Source: was a demon in 7th grade.

Virtual Cafe Awards

proto

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Upload your games you had from the flash drive onto a cloud based platform, preferably something like google drive or mega. Give out the link and write the instructions on how to do stuff into a txt file.
If they are too retarded to follow simple instructions they can go fuck right off. You are not their slave and if you dont get any compensation for it in return, they can suck you off.
This also solves the issue of you having to give out the hard drive. Drop the link somewhere for them, and you no longer need to physically give them the flash drive or whatever you have.

Also fuck all 7 graders.

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It's a common myth that kids are good with computers. People seem to think that by simply interacting with apps on their phone, kids will magically learn by osmosis how to use a file manager, zip/unzip files, use a computer, code, etc. Most kids I have met who are "computer whiz kids" actually don't know anything and frequently make bad choices. That's okay, I made stupid choices as a kid and I have basically always been a power user (that's a perk of having a computer engineer in the family), but we really need to stop pretending kids are any better with computers than your average boomer.

This guy is a teacher and he has experienced the same thing: http://coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

They go to me and I do it. ...they still keep going to me to help them. ...they know what to do but they are too lazy to do it.
This is the problem. You're enabling these people.

I understand installing and using an emulator can be a complex process - I had to be shown how to install and use one the first time. Your best bet is to either find or write a short document explaining the steps in simple terms, then include that document with the rest of the files. If people are incapable of reading it, that's on them. You should no longer offer help, because from my experience, when I help someone with even basic computer use issues, they never learn how to use computer. Instead, I point them in the right direction and tell them to figure it out. Most of them do, it just takes a bit of effort.

If people aren't willing to do some basic trial and error or some reading to learn how to use an emulator, they don't deserve to use an emulator. Not only are you less annoyed and frustrated because you're no longer helping people with basic things, you're also actually improving other peoples lives - if they struggle, fail, and then dig down to the bottom of it and get it working, not only will they feel amazing afterwards, but they might actually learn some important problem solving skills that will help them for the rest of their life. Even in the worst case where they are too lazy to figure it out and therefore don't get to play games, you're teaching them a valuable lesson about laziness. If you instead show them every little thing they need to do, they will learn to be perpetually dependent on other people.

Do your friends a favor, tell them to figure it out on their own.

Last edited:
It's a common myth that kids are good with computers. People seem to think that by simply interacting with apps on their phone, kids will magically learn by osmosis how to use a file manager, zip/unzip files, use a computer, code, etc. Most kids I have met who are "computer whiz kids" actually don't know anything and frequently make bad choices. That's okay, I made stupid choices as a kid and I have basically always been a power user (that's a perk of having a computer engineer in the family), but we really need to stop pretending kids are any better with computers than your average boomer.
Tbh, the educational system certainly deserves some of the blame. I'm either a ultra late millennial, or very early zoomer depending who you ask ('97). Although I had computer classes throughout elementary and middle school, the teachers either just let us do whatever or they would have us practice typing. Ironically, the former do-nothing approach was more fruitful since I know me and many other kids really learned how to type by playing runescape.

I imagine computer classes in US public schools haven't really improved much. Basically everything I learned about computers when I was younger was from pirating, installing or modding games on a cheap laptop my Dad bought me.

What I find really disheartening is that I think many younger zoomers literally don't have access to computers. Many seem to be growing up with consoles, Ipads, and phones but without a computer or laptop. And even at school where they should be guaranteed computer access, they are taught little useful about them.

The best thing for these kids who can't figure out how to unzip files or install emulators is for them to look up these questions on YouTube. There are YouTube tutorials that explain all of these things in idiot-proof detail. And once you learn how to do one of these things (install an emulator for example) it becomes much easier to do something similar in the future (install a different emulator).

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

xX.majin_TwEeN.Xx

Staticbender
Reaction score
Awards
Website
humanraccoon.com
They didn't grow up with computers, they grew up with phones. Most of them don't even have computers.

Virtual Cafe Awards
You could turn this into a grift. Tell them they have to pay for winrar to extract the files, but if they give you $5 you'll "hack" an infinite free trial for them

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Tbh, the educational system certainly deserves some of the blame. I'm either a ultra late millennial, or very early zoomer depending who you ask ('97). Although I had computer classes throughout elementary and middle school, the teachers either just let us do whatever or they would have us practice typing. Ironically, the former do-nothing approach was more fruitful since I know me and many other kids really learned how to type by playing runescape.
This is somewhat true. I was in school around a similar period to you, and I found that, for the most part, it was hit or miss.

At least where I live, computer classes were generally split into 2 types. You had mandatory "computer skills" classes in primary school, and a few optional computer-related subjects in high school. For the most part my high school ones were fantastic - I learned programming, algorithms, etc. It was like a basic introduction to computer science. But I think part of that was the fact that the school put a lot of effort in (they cared a lot about academic success despite being a public school) and because my teacher was a computer engineer who also had a teaching degree.

But the mandatory computer skills classes were very obviously written by beurocrats. It was basically a "Microsoft Word" class, and was so boring and pointless that I learned nothing of value from it. The teachers didn't even really take it seriously to the point where they would just sit us in front of the computers, give us some online checklist to complete by the end of the lesson, then sit up the front reading and making sure nobody did anything "bad" on the computers, like play games. It was the biggest waste of time ever.

The most important failure of these classes was that they utterly failed to even explain what a general purpose computing device is, or why we would want one. Any kid completing the mandatory computer skills course would likely come out the other side with the reasonable conclusion that computers are just locked-down "desktop form factor" smartphones which just run a bunch of premade Microsoft productivity apps and not much else. No time was given to actual computing, what an OS is, how programs interact, etc. It's just a box to run Microsoft products.

Basically everything I learned about computers when I was younger was from pirating, installing or modding games on a cheap laptop my Dad bought me.
Same. I was lucky in that I was able to start programming at a young age because my dad was a computer engineer, but overall, playing with things, breaking stuff, and doing your own reading up on the subject is where knowledge comes from - not just in the computer space, but all knowledge. It's why I encourage people NOT to handhold, because the moment you break that cycle and simply deliver people the correct answer, there's no learning to be done at all.

What I find really disheartening is that I think many younger zoomers literally don't have access to computers. Many seem to be growing up with consoles, Ipads, and phones but without a computer or laptop. And even at school where they should be guaranteed computer access, they are taught little useful about them.
I don't think this is a real issue. I mean I agree many zoomers don't have access to computers, but I don't really pity them in most cases. From my experience, even the poor kids without much money still have $60 a month phone plans and the latest iphone. If they really cared enough, I'm sure many of them could spring for a laptop if they were willing to use an older phone. I actually blame the parents poor decision making, rather than actual inability to access. Parents buy kids ipads because it will make the kid shut up, is a hassle free way to keep them entertained at a surface level, and is largely no fuss.

I've noticed a trend in general where parents used to buy their kids intellectually difficult toys - Meccano, Lego Technic, all sorts of puzzles, etc. Now parents are more likely to just buy their kids an ipad, put a few simple games on it, and sit them in the corner to shut them up. I also don't ENTIRELY blame the parents though, a lot of these intellectual toys have become overly complicated nonesense too. For example, Lego Technic used to teach things like gearboxes, mechanical advantages, I even had one that had rudimentary hydraulics (but was air powered, rather than using fluids). Now they are all super-expensive, app-controlled contraptions that are basically pre-built and you just stick blocks on them for decoration.

I really hope we can see a return to educational toys, but honestly, I think the interest just isn't there. Parents would rather just ignore their kids while they watch Netflix or whatever.

In this environment, even parents who can afford a laptop won't bother to get their kids one. Because they might have to troubleshoot occasionally. Or install something. Or otherwise guide their kid. It's much easier to just buy an ipad that you know will always "just work". Obviously the real appeal of a laptop is the learning aspect - it's trivial for a curious kid to install python on it and start making stuff, but neither the parents or the kids have the desire to do so - the parents because they just want to do their own thing, and the kids because they haven't been intellectually stimulated so the idea of learning something new doesn't even occur to them.

I would say that in 99% of cases, the reason Zoomers suck so much as a generation is because their parents are significantly worse than parents of 30 years ago, and part of that is being far less involved in their child's education and mental development, to the point where kids don't really learn how to actually learn or solve problems and instead shamble through life hoping someone else will solve all their problems for them. It makes sense - a lot of parents are either lazy, or had kids because they were engaging in stupid sexual behaviour and they don't actually have the time or energy to take care of a kid, so they dump them at daycare or find ways to get rid of them in front of a screen.

Honestly, I would say the vast majority of modern parents are absolutely unfit parents and should probably lose custody of their kids. But I know that's a very harsh judgement and likely won't be a popular opinion. I'm okay with that.

The best thing for these kids who can't figure out how to unzip files or install emulators is for them to look up these questions on YouTube. There are YouTube tutorials that explain all of these things in idiot-proof detail. And once you learn how to do one of these things (install an emulator for example) it becomes much easier to do something similar in the future (install a different emulator).
Yes. YouTube is a good start. I would prefer them to look into it thoroughly and discover things like 7-zip and why it's superior to, say, Winrar, because I feel like replacing the OP with a youtube personality is just moving the problem and they still aren't learning anything, but it's at least a potential starting point for gaining actual knowledge.

Last edited:
From my experience, even the poor kids without much money still have $60 a month phone plans and the latest iphone. If they really cared enough, I'm sure many of them could spring for a laptop if they were willing to use an older phone. I actually blame the parents poor decision making, rather than actual inability to access. Parents buy kids ipads because it will make the kid shut up, is a hassle free way to keep them entertained at a surface level, and is largely no fuss.
I agree with your whole post, but especially this part. The bulk of the blame really does rest with the parents. Although to be somewhat fair, in many cases the parents themselves are probably mostly ignorant about computers as well. Certainly there are many white collar parents that are just lazy and go for the easy solution by dropping an Ipad front of their 6 year old. But especially with lower income households, often the parents themselves are unaware of the fundamental ways computers differ from smartphones/ipads. I mean, for most people computerized technology is basically synonymous with the internet (and at that, an extremely limited scope of the internet, basically just social media). The fact that you can do interesting things with a computer that doesn't involve the internet doesn't occur to them.

For these people there really isn't a difference between a smartphone and a laptop other than size. And it doesn't matter what the generation is, this seems to be most people. Hell, I remember 10 - 15 years ago if you spent most of your free time infront of a screen people said you had no life, now people's lives have become their social media presence.

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I agree with your whole post, but especially this part. The bulk of the blame really does rest with the parents. Although to be somewhat fair, in many cases the parents themselves are probably mostly ignorant about computers as well. Certainly there are many white collar parents that are just lazy and go for the easy solution by dropping an Ipad front of their 6 year old. But especially with lower income households, often the parents themselves are unaware of the fundamental ways computers differ from smartphones/ipads. I mean, for most people computerized technology is basically synonymous with the internet (and at that, an extremely limited scope of the internet, basically just social media). The fact that you can do interesting things with a computer that doesn't involve the internet doesn't occur to them.
I see where you're coming from, but I also don't think it matters much. Even the most computer-illiterate parent should be able to tell when their child is learning vs killing time playing angry birds, and even if they don't know that a laptop is something different, the onus is on them to do research into ways to keep their kids minds stimulated. I may not know anything about how to play the piano, but if I had a child who showed even a modicum of interest in music I would go out of my way to research, ask around, and make sure their needs are accounted for.

It's especially critical to remember that many other hobbies naturally transition into computer literacy. A child can easily go from playing with lego, to getting into electronics, to programming an arduino - something they will need a computer for. From a simple starting point of "I'm going to get my child a stimulating toy", they can build the knowledge required to become competent.

My issue isn't that parents aren't teaching their kids how to use a computer. My issue is more fundamental than that. Parents aren't teaching their kids the necessary life skills to be able to problem solve and learn new things, and are instead giving them surface-level entertainment to keep them occupied. As a result, kids aren't just tech illiterate, they have virtually no useful life skills whatsoever, and don't have the basic discipline, patience or understanding to even begin to learn how to use a computer. Children, especially teenagers, should be able to learn new things by themselves without needing to be directly taught by their parents, no matter how technologically literate those parents are.

From my experience, well-adjusted people who are used to solving their own problems normally figure out how to use a computer pretty quickly, even if they weren't taught at a young age. Even the most difficult Linux distro is something that can be figured out by anyone with any level of computing knowledge, given enough patience and willingness to read and understand man pages and forums. In most cases, we're asking people to use Windows - a system designed from the ground up to be as easy as possible to use. It's not hard. It's just laziness.

Keep in mind a lot of the early users of computers - when computers were at their most fundamentally difficult to use - were mathematicians and other "tech illiterate" people, and they were writing programs and interacting with command lines. They didn't have any special arcane knowledge, just the documentation and a willingness to explore and learn. If your average secretary in the 1980s could learn how to format a floppy disk using MSDOS after a few weeks of using their first computer at their job, the current generation has no excuse to not know how to browse and unzip files.

I get your point but I still think it's largely bad parenting.

Last edited:

FreshSk8r

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
doesn't even know how to use an emulator.
Funny that you mention this, I started really learning about computers modding my PSP and installing emulators. Here's the catch - I was doing it all alone with no help other than the internet.
If I were you, I'd send them an instructional video, a link to 7zip, or start charging for your work. It sounds scummy, but you've got stuff you need to work on too. You can choose help those you know can't do it themselves, but if they're being lazy, that's on them. Of course, don't be rude about it, but the best way to learn is by doing; with little power comes more curiosity, which creates a loop of knowledge.

I imagine computer classes in US public schools haven't really improved much. Basically everything I learned about computers when I was younger was from pirating, installing or modding games on a cheap laptop my Dad bought me.
School is absolutely terrible in the computer department, and only seems to be getting worse. I know people who were taught how to program in BASIC as a mandatory course in secondary school in the late 80s. When I was in primary school, we had a typing class that only lasted a year until it was dropped. In my secondary school, general computer classes weren't even offered as optional classes.

The bulk of the blame really does rest with the parents. Although to be somewhat fair, in many cases the parents themselves are probably mostly ignorant about computers as well.
Ironically, most "computer" kids I know are interested in computers because they grew up with their parents doing everything in their power to stop them from using computers. Having to do everything themselves with rebellion as the catalyst led to gaining knowledge through experience, trial, and error. While I am no advocate for rebellion, the opposite is no good either. I probably wouldn't have learned how to use computers early on myself if my Dad did everything for me.

Personally though, I would still blame it on the individual. If you really want something and you're hardworking, you'll do everything you can to get it. Unfortunately, it can also go the other way around - present someone with all the tools for the job, and if they lack passion or drive, they'll never get anything done.

Virtual Cafe Awards
If people aren't willing to do some basic trial and error or some reading to learn how to use an emulator, they don't deserve to use an emulator.

(...) (words) (...)

Do your friends a favor, tell them to figure it out on their own.
You'd be onto something in the real world but the kid is 12. I have had great lifechanging experiences having a teacher say "I don't know, is it?" when I ask a simple yes or no question. But he's not a teacher. He's a peer. He'll be a fucking asshole at my age on message boards if he keeps acting like that.

When I was 12 I figured out computers on my own but it's not because I'm a fucking genius. I had nothing else going on. Let him show these other kids how to use their computer, maybe they'll show him how to shave or throw a football.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Just keep it to yourself from now on. If they cannot figure out how to unzip a file that is their problem.

Virtual Cafe Awards