How do you stay up to date on current events?

• Thread starter WKYK
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 2348 times.

ECHETLAEUS

GLOBALISTS HAVE THE POWER, BUT GOD THE FINAL WORD
Reaction score
Awards
I also took that path some years ago. It made me better at politics and critical thinking. It made better my arguements and my world views. I still hear everything, from liberals to patriots and from new agers to religious people, from conspiracy theorists and ufo lovers to rationalists, from idealists to materialists etc etc, research every single aspect you can. But also you dont have to be always updated, cause you dont have to, the part of information is not the only parameter that matters .Just leave some time for yourself to process all the details and infos and focus on the present. Focus on what also your logic, your consciousness and your inner voice says, create your world views(that will make you more clever and authentic and more clean from think tanks) and instead of focusing to all the negativity of all the news(in order to learn the good you have to face sometimes the bad and negatives), try finding a path of making your life better and more armored from the negativity.

Virtual Cafe Awards
What books? Communism manifesto? Most books are also full with globalist propaganda.
the pursuit of reading to expand your knowledge is significantly less likely to be part of the media machine which funnels you into tribalist politics.

You can literally choose to read anything you like and learn from it, even the manifesto which I reckon is important to read especially if you're anti-communist.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: h00

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
Books that have remained classics for a very long time on the subjects of philosophy, politics, ideology and how to live your life, are in my opinion, the only political texts that are relevant in both a prescriptive and descriptive sense, and are the only ones that cover universal conflicts in human nature. New tech usually falls in neatly with that in accordance to whichever value structure you adopt.

TL;DR I don't keep up with modern politics, and if something is actually relevant to my life, I'll find out by osmosis from friends

Virtual Cafe Awards

FODTony

ai is gonna like, replace us dude
Reaction score
Awards
well first, trying to stay up to date on every event happening in the world currently is pretty much impossible, so don't stress on trying to constantly stay up to date on everything. really, I think the only people that should be worrying events on that scale are the people in government whose job it is to stay informed on said events. however I don't think staying totally ignorant to the events around yourself is a good strategy either. IMO, if you wanna stay informed, read about the things that affect your community the most. stay up-to-date on local and state governments (or the equivalent in other countries). just some food for thought, sorry if it sounds like i'm telling you how to think.

now to actually answer your question. I've seen ads for a platform called "ground news". It seems to pull articles from a bunch of sources and show the amount of coverage each topic receives based on the leaning of the publisher (i.e., a fox news or the like probably won't publish a negative story on trump, while a cnn may cover that same negative trump story 15 times over the course of a week). Obviously, "ground news" is a business and has profit incentives, and its leadership also has biases. and while I don't think there's a silver bullet solution to any problem, this might be a "lead bullet" to your problem.

timelinker14

Wanderer of the Agora
Reaction score
Awards
Also ancient Greek philosophy.

On a side note, schools should focus more at useful, practical lessons like classic philosophy and less at useless crap you will never use in daily life like chemistry (I hated that lesson with all my heart).

By the way the link doesn't works.
True, starting with the Greeks is a wise choice.

Sorry about the link, hope this one works: https://leftychan.net/edu/src/1612207844643.pdf

Virtual Cafe Awards
Zerohedge, Slashdot, ArsTechnica, Agora, some site I can't talk about that is invite only

Virtual Cafe Awards

myrriad

gas stove cook
Reaction score
Awards
Website
freckleskies.net
get an rss reader to aggregate whatever sources you want, i recommend miniflux if you can host it or the old reader if you can't, and pick and choose your selection to read in a controlled, quiet and detached way

but why would you ever wanna read abt global politics LMAO just fill your rss feed with your friends' blogs and webcomics

Virtual Cafe Awards

housepoopr

As someone who is becoming more interested in global politics, I want to have a reliable way to find out what is happening in the world. However now more than ever there is a big distrust in the media, with basically every source seeming to push an agenda. So I wanted to ask, where do you all stay informed? Is there one website/app you rely on, or is it a more decentralized process with multiple sources to offset each other's bias?
Memes really. The left wing memes are about signaling that the poster is leftist and or of a virtuous status, so I when I see those memes, they inform me of when their media is brainwashing or whitewashing a situation to their favor. Basically the Left Can't Meme, and it's easy to spot a psyop because they are painfully suck at it. There are right wing memes like this too, like "sUpPoRt ArE TrOoPs" and other virtue statements like woodchippers for pedos, but largely, it's really the older generations that make those memes.

The left legitimately can't make decent memes 9/10 times, and when the right does it, it's usually a confused boomer or late gen-x about the nature of what makes a memes good. (Hint, it's not displays of right-think or virtue)

The right wing view on memes just ridicule indefensible positions or policy, and if they are funny, I know this is probably the actual truth, or at least, how non-redditors feel.
Basically memes are viral information and I get all my news from memes because it's far and away still more trustworthy than the news media. This sounds retarded, but it's the world we live in. Video of an encounter with funny music, or a quip, is infinitely better than a panel of "experts" or in actuality, left-wing aligned pundits, actors, or grifters. Michael Avennatti was an example of this.

Left-wing and >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk users are often double-digit IQ folks who embody the Dunning-Kruger effect, having believed that they gained a valuable understanding of the world by listening to a progressive professor "challenge" them. Never realizing, while being taught directly from the basis of Critical Pedagogy, a thinly veiled Marxist Critical propaganda theory, that they now represent the appeal to authority. This makes their memes just awful, and easy to spot, because they are all smug appeals to authority or virtue. Fart in a wine-glass snarfing behavior. The best part is when they are non-stem. You PAID someone 100k or more...for that?

It's just that simple. I know it infuriates normies, redditors and leftoids, but I have weapons grade autism as a high-functioning, pattern-matching, tendies-munching machine, and the truth is pretty simple. The right is often correct. Men can't be women, A is not B, 2+2 != 5. This best part of this, is that it will end up on one of their sub-reddits, where they'll all bitch about right wing indoctrination or pipelines, or some other buzzword they heard on the literally cabal run political propaganda networks.

The danker the meme, the greater chance or tendency for the meme to have struck at the heart of the matter, or the truth of it.
I call it "Elon's Razor"

iu

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Awards
The best things in life really are free.jpg

"Millions starve to death in this week's manmade horrors beyond comprehension"
"People brutally die in foreign country, we don't really care all that much either but there was one local"
"Individual dude dies, but this one is important"
"Politician messes up implimentation of policy"
"Bank once again involved in some shady shit"
"Ukraine war continues"
"Nationally important infrastructure gets sold to China"
etc.
Inspired by this thread I just checked the news again after a long time and it really is always the same stuff. With everyone overwhelmed by access to an infinite amount of information about everything, isn't there some way of only getting the important stuff when something directly relevant to me actually happens? Something that will actually admit "Nothing's on today, go home." when there is the usual. Either way I guess I will hear it through the grape vine, although I have missed some actually important stuff in the past.

I guess we are back to the Biedermeier mentality: Napoleon has been defeated - this means a whole new world right? Nope, restauration, all back to what it was, it was all for nothing. Or so it seemed at the time, and everyone thereafter retreated into their private interests - Just like we are, after having collectively waited for a y2k future that never came, and having become fed up with all of the media political spectacle bullshit that has continued and worsened since then.
It was the time of romanticism as well, so the current glorification of the past fits in nicely.
dude fuck current events just read books and expand your knowledge.
Can confirm, some 19th century literary figure said the same thing, don't remember who though.

Edit: Of course all these things happening are terrible, but there are always such things happening in the world. Imagine if a medievel peasent had the same amount of information of things going on, like we have now. We do in the end live in one of the most peaceful times in world history. The fact that we can know about every single atrocity on earth makes us all guilty in a way, since we can all theoretically act upon this knowledge. But what can you do.

Last edited:

housepoopr

i don't
the only news sources i really know are mainstream outlets but i stopped caring about them so idk where to even get my news from that isn't carefully spoonfed from massive mainstream sources
It sounds retarded, but ifunny is pretty good for it.

Twitter, r/turkey subreddit, some turkish youtubers/streamers that talk about general situations in world and a ib i won't name. I can get good information just by analysing bot activity in >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk/twitter. You can also know what organisations and groups actually do based on what they did in the past, this won't always work as they sometimes chance demographically.
If you follow news from memes, you are basically chronically wrong because you never know how things actually played out but have constant information input from sources that want only engagement soo people that barely know anything will make posts with wrong information and you will be subjected to it soo much you will most likely believe it. Even if you know what actually happened, you won't know the sources soo you can't defend it either.That excludes the actual malicious groups that want to manipulate the population. Manipulation tactics evolve alongside technology, they can't use news to manipulate the younger population's opinion but they can use memes. I have seen quite a lot of malicious posts that were overtly manipulative, i don't even know how much softer propaganda meme we see on the internet.

Virtual Cafe Awards

housepoopr

That excludes the actual malicious groups that want to manipulate the population. Manipulation tactics evolve alongside technology, they can't use news to manipulate the younger population's opinion but they can use memes. I have seen quite a lot of malicious posts that were overtly manipulative, i don't even know how much softer propaganda meme we see on the internet.
Very true, there in particular are many tweets that are manipulated and memed. On screen caps we have to do a touch better and look for shops. Both sides use propaganda, I just happen to think based on deductive reasoning that the right is typically actually right most of the time. The left always seems to misrepresent arguments, and distort facts, or withhold facts when they want to manipulate.

Honestly, the left can't meme either. The presence of actual comedy usally means it's more truthy. I've been coining it "Elon's Razor" : The funnier the meme, the more likely it is to be striking at the heart of the matter, or more or less, accurate.

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't.
I literally have no idea of what's going on I just say and do things until somebody stops me.
I rode a horse into a busy capital city once because I didn't know it was illegal and nobody stopped me.
I didn't even know there was an actual war in ukraine until 4 months later, I thought it was just people spergin on imageboards instead of an actual thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vetusomaru

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
vetusomaru.dreamwidth.org
I didn't even know there was an actual war in ukraine until 4 months later, I thought it was just people spergin on imageboards instead of an actual thing.
Lol! How did you learned about it that late? There was "I support Ukraine" virtue signaling fucking everywhere, just like with BLM virtue signaling. They even temporarily delayed the shitty Advance Wars remake's release because of the Ukraine war. Even at a famous anime torrent site there was an active uploader that had "I support Ukraine" avatar.

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Lol! How did you learned about it that late? There was "I support Ukraine" virtue signaling fucking everywhere, just like with BLM virtue signaling. They even temporarily delayed the shitty Advance Wars remake's release because of the Ukraine war. Even at a famous anime torrent site there was an active uploader that had "I support Ukraine" avatar.
I don't live in a bug town. My friends aren't bug people so it wasn't a conversation topic until gas went crazy.
I saw ukraine flags but wyipeepo having flags and stuff related to their ancestry its pretty normal around here, irish people are crazy about it, I just thought nothing of it.

I don't follow news that includes videogames news, I learned when gas prices went crazy.

Virtual Cafe Awards