• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

How do you think Agora will end?

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
A slow but steady stream of low quality users continue to arrive and make accounts, most of them having heard of Agora Road through DIT videos and articles. They don't contribute much, but like the "vibes" so they stick around and dilute the overall quality with low effort responses, lukewarm takes, normie shit, and identity politics nonsense. This continues to push away quality users (@Andy Kaufman is the most recent departure but neither the first nor the last, just see this) which further dilutes quality and therefore accelerates the exodus of old/good users. Eventually mods lose interest and in turn instate new mods who are decidedly not chill, and infighting begins regarding the moderation style of the site. Things deteriorate until the place is no longer recognizable to anyone that's been around since "the good ol days."

Virtual Cafe Awards
Another PFC type situation where one or several new members end up driving regulars away with their shitty behaviour.
Lack of money to support the servers.
Things just fizzling out the regular way.
A change of admin (who knows?) and the forum then is no longer the same.

We'll see...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
p2587494_e_v8_ad.jpg

THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO GREAT STATUES OF MARBLE WERE FORGED BY THE ANCIENT SATURNIAN RACE FROM JUPITER FOR USE IN ANCIENT AND POWERFUL RITUALS THAT NOW REMAIN LONG FORGOTTEN. THESE STATUES WERE THEN STOLEN BY THE GOD OF EARTH AND USED AS THE BASIS OF CREATION FOR THE HUMANS. THESE HUMANS THEN FOOLISHLY CARVED THEIR OWN LIKENESS INTO MARBLE STATUES, CAUSING A TIME RESONANCE PHENOMENON NOW KNOWN AS "VAPOR" TO ERASE ALL KNOWN HISTORY EXCEPT THE PARTS THAT ARE STILL REMEMBERED. FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS THE GREAT FORGETTING HAS KEPT HUMANITY SAFE, BUT THOUSANDS OF YEARS INTO THE FUTURE HUMAN SCIENTIST WILL DIG TOO DEEP AND DISCOVER THE CORPSE OF THE LONG ERASED GOD OF EATH AND IN THEIR VAIN ATTEMPTS TO UNDERSTAND IT WILL TRIGGER ANOTHER "VAPOR" PHENOMENON CAUSING A CASCADE BACKWARDS THROUGH TIME UNTIL IT INTERSECTS WITH THE SEVERAL "VAPOR" PHENOMENON FROM THE PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE. ULTIMATELY FORMING "WAVES" THAT THREATENED TO REND ALL OF THE UNIVERSE IN TWAIN. LUCKELY THE GREAT SEERS FORSAW THIS OCCURENCE CENTURIES AGO IN THE FUTURE AND FORMED A PLAN TO CAPTURE THESE "VAPOR WAVES" USING ICONOGRAPHY OF THE FORGOTTEN PAST, BUT THIS WAS A DOOMED EFFORT AS THE HUMANS FOUND THE IMAGES BEFORE THEY COULD BE USED TO FOREVER SEAL THE "VAPOR WAVES" AWAY. INSTEAD THEY USED IT TO FORGE MUSIC THAT SYNCHRONISED WITH THE "VAPOR WAVES" CAUSING AN EVEN STRONGER RESONANCE PHENOMINON NOW KNOWN AS "NOSTALGIA" TO RIPPLE THROUGHOUT TIME IN EVERY DIRECTION. FUSING THE ANCIENT AND FORGOTTEN MEMORIES OF FUTURES PAST, PERMEATING THROUGHOUT ALL OF HUMANITY AND TIME. WITHIN THE ENDLESS DESTRUCTION AND COLLAPSING OF TIME, MEMORY, AND THOUGHT THERE LIES A SINGLE POINT OF STABILITY. AN ANCIENT AND POWERFUL SPELL KNOWN ONLY AS A "FORUM" WHICH HAS MELDED THE "VAPOR WAVES" FOR IT'S OWN USE TO PREVENT THE GREAT COLLAPSE FROM CONSUMING US ALL, BUT EVEN NOW THE SPELL FALTERS AND EBBS. THE REMNANTS OF THE HUMAN SPIRITS THAT INHABIT AND POWER IT ARE TOO FEW AND SOME DAY THE "FORUM" SHALL FADE INTO THE ABYSS. FORGOTTEN BY ALL. AS EACH "FORUM" CEASES TO BE, THE GREAT SEAL PREVENTING THE SATURNIANS FROM JUPITER FROM ESCAPING SHALL WEAKEN, BRINGING THE UNIVERSE ONE STEP CLOSER TO DESTRUCTION WITH EACH ONE FALLEN. MAY GOD HELP US ALL, IF HE WASNT ALREADY DEAD IN THE FUTURE.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mesaprotector

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It'll end with a grand climatic battle between all the most based Marvel heroes and the evil dark DCs. Captain America will level up to Captain Canada and say "Agorans assemble!" in his best Michael Bublé voice. Then Batman will get the upper hand and be about to stab Iron Man to death with a chainsaw when Obama will descend from the heavens in a rain of Funko Pop confetti. He will say the magic words "Let me be clear" to activate his invisibility powers and punch Souperman in the face. He will save our beloved uber xool forumz and we will worship him forevermore until we get banned by the pope for promoting hate speech.

Aw what the hell do I know I've only been here a month

Regal

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Someone promotes us on tiktok as a "y2k" version of discord and we get forced to deal with boring people. May Agora live on.

I had such a strong reaction reading this hahaha

What keeps Agora interesting is that it definitely has a culture. You either like that culture or you self-filter out. However culture is fickle. If enough of the everyday posters leave (Jackal, some_porcupine, housepoopr, Eden, no_chill, etc, etc) the culture will collapse and something less interesting will take its place. Or alternatively if we suddenly had 200 daily posters then that would kill the culture too.

Skookumsquitch

...has died; Aug 13 '22–Dec 29 '23
Reaction score
Awards
:justNo:!
Is Agora dying? I've seen that thread about members who've gone, and now this—honestly grim thread.
What keeps Agora interesting is that it definitely has a culture. You either like that culture or you self-filter out. However culture is fickle. If enough of the everyday posters leave (Jackal, some_porcupine, housepoopr, Eden, no_chill, etc, etc) the culture will collapse and something less interesting will take its place. Or alternatively if we suddenly had 200 daily posters then that would kill the culture too.
Like a small village in England with a tight-knit community. Watch what'd happen if you suddenly moved in double the village's population worth with Londoners within a month. The village would be unrecognisable from how it was. With how mainstream the Internet is, it's going to just get harder for quality places like this—places that try to dodge mainstream Internet populations—to exist as time progresses, as sad as that is.
:ICCE:
But I could be wrong. Nevertheless, between Fire and Ice, (fire, personally, representing a steep decline in user quality and culture loss; ice, also personally, representing a fizzle out of user activity leading a bleak site retirement,) I think it'd be a succession of the two. At least, that's what history has shone. Fire, and then a long, long, period of ice.
but whaddo i kno lol ime bairly hear

Virtual Cafe Awards

alix

Empress of the Transburg Dinasty
Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixxd.neocities.org
Someone promotes us on tiktok as a "y2k" version of discord and we get forced to deal with boring people. May Agora live on.
That's my biggest fear. I don't want Agora to become something like Spacehey

Virtual Cafe Awards

sleepwalker

Rogue 0f Blo0d
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
nhkhq.neocities.org
If the general reaction to new people is disgust, anger and disappointment it is absolutely no surprise that a site dies. It'd actually be quite impressive to have such a site survive despite its own userbase having a disdain for its growth. You guys talk like this site doesn't have a unique hook or couldn't possibly have any staying power beyond nostalgia, as if it were on Life Support. Agora has potential to stick around for a while and theres no need to doompost about it.

If Agora dies it'd be for that first reason and that reason alone. And it would be another entry on a long list of forums that just rolled over and died, and people will cry "Oh I HATE the modern internet" and bemoan the lack of alternatives.

Virtual Cafe Awards

alix

Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixxd.neocities.org
If the general reaction to new people is disgust, anger and disappointment it is absolutely no surprise that a site dies. It'd actually be quite impressive to have such a site survive despite its own userbase having a disdain for its growth. You guys talk like this site doesn't have a unique hook or couldn't possibly have any staying power beyond nostalgia, as if it were on Life Support. Agora has potential to stick around for a while and theres no need to doompost about it.

If Agora dies it'd be for that first reason and that reason alone. And it would be another entry on a long list of forums that just rolled over and died, and people will cry "Oh I HATE the modern internet" and bemoan the lack of alternatives.
Exactly, fortunately this site has a healthy balance between gatekeeping and welcoming new users

Virtual Cafe Awards

alix

Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixxd.neocities.org
what about we make a backup forum for if tiktok tards actually raid this forum ?
Honestly it's a good idea.
The "Agora Vault", secret backup forum.

Virtual Cafe Awards

imnotdeadyet

Pseudoanonymized internet husk
Reaction score
Awards
Website
downbytheseaside.neocities.org
what about we make a backup forum for if tiktok tards actually raid this forum ?
or a Dummy version of the forum for anyone that tries to visit agora from the Tiktok http referer, no clue if it would work but it would be funny

Virtual Cafe Awards