• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

How do you think Agora will end?

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

shallows

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
or a Dummy version of the forum for anyone that tries to visit agora from the Tiktok http referer, no clue if it would work but it would be funny
This should probably work better than a backup for preventing an influx, but I doubt that the influx would specifically be from Tiktok. If anything, >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk seems like a bigger problem because, while there are some good people there, it is a massive circlejerk.

7Pebbles

Enemy of the Digital Panopticon
Reaction score
Awards
The ultimate endgame of being an agora user is to log off and enjoy the real world. Eventually all the quality posters will achieve this leaving just the people stuck online. But at least for me personally, I still learn a lot from the discussions here and won't be leaving for at least a little while still. And even if everyone good leaves, the posts left behind can be read by many internet refugees to come so that the knowledge of the road is passed down indefinitely.
I like this a lot. I am of the belief (as I feel like many people here are) that terminal online-ness isn't a good thing, and that touching grass is indeed a noble (and achievable) goal. To think of the Agora Road as a place where people can come in as normie refugees, learn from the Road, and help the people that come in after them before leaving like the people who originally helped them is a pretty cool cycle that leads to a net positive. I feel like as I put time and effort into my life outside of the internet, I have less and less time to spend here on The Road, and less and less need to do so. What I want to do is find that good balance, and become someone who can do their day to day life happliy, but still pop in here in their spare time to see whats up and contribute to the conversation.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
As some people have said, it'll probably fade away like other forums, but if I wanna get speculative I think it's gonna be the types who watch Lain and don't understand it. You know the type, they watch the first few episodes and start LARPing as Lain cultist. Invading internet spaces and spewing the same things Lain criticizes. A sort of digital idolatry people eventually get sick of.
I've registered here because of you. I'm the guy who feels like I didn't understand Lain. I feel like it was a bit naive, though quite prophesizing work whose main idea was in the fact that people's lives will depend entirely on data and computers... but, at the same time, perhaps, these are not that different in the first place, since "if no one remembers, than it never happened" - so, just like data in the first place.
Anyway, I have a feeling that I've missed the point, so I want you - or anyone else who thinks they've got it - to share their thoughts with me, please. PMs are welcome as well.

Although, to be on topic, here's a rather recent example of how another small site I've frequented died. It had an admin who pretty much didn't care but paid the bills for hosting and two active moderators. Moderators tried to buy out the site from the admin, but he refused for whatever reason. Then said moderators decided to create a new site of their own. All seemed well, but no long after the new site launched, one of the moderators kicked another one out and banned several active people... not to mention that some of the active people never transferred to the new site to begin with. I personally left after the banwave: one of the active guys was the one who brought me onto the original site in the first place, and the kicked moderator was a friend of mine as well, so, yea, I've started to feel uncomfortable in the new place.

Technically, that new site is still alive, and I visit on ocassion, but it is pretty much like a zombie. A far cry from the old place.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kodai_09

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
  1. normie raid
  2. schizo raid (ever bigger than us)
  3. degen raid
  4. some bad shit - great web wipe etc.
  5. kiwi farms or so/AED fade
  6. doomed to obscurity (magic fell off, wasteland)
tru unless whoever runs this place is passionate af about it which i hope so its a very thoughtful internet space

Venomnik0

Weary Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Someone promotes us on tiktok as a "y2k" version of discord and we get forced to deal with boring people. May Agora live on.
More like a youtuber will write a video essay about how we're the "survivors" and over dramatize everything inviting new dumbasses to infect the forums.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The ultimate endgame of being an agora user is to log off and enjoy the real world.
I disagree.

I'm coming at Agora as the "complete self" I think a lot of people here dream about being if they could just turn off the computer. I have a spouse that's my best friend, a house, great job, two cars, and a kid with more on the way.

I'm not here because I'm terminally online, I'm here for the same reasons I think most of the original usenet and IRC users were: Discussion with strangers! I'm learning and talking about things I just don't get to in real life because there are quality posters here with information I don't have. Agora breaks my echo chamber.

All my coworkers do is ask about how my kid's doing, the weather, small-talk. There's an interesting character here and there but it's hard to pull anything meaningful out of the majority. I go out sometimes and do talk to people, but the sort of people who go out of their house are normies without interesting internal worlds. I did rock climbing, boating, jiu-jitsu: for those people, their hobby is all they have and all they want to talk about. My husband goes up to random people at the grocery store who signal anti-liberal and has a brief chat about politics but they're all MAGAtards without much to their beliefs except the prescribed red koolaid. Free market good, government bad. The real world is 90% NPCs. I'm currently working on going to the local game shop but I don't think that's going to pan out to much. I'm really trying to stress that it's not as easy as "lol just go outside and talk to people". My husband is the type to just randomly bring up the AI conversation with cashiers and people at the bar, and we have yet to meet a Punp that wants to launch into a discussion on "what is art". They're barely aware of what AI is, don't care, and want to grill. The most conversation we can get is out of the aformentioned MAGAtards and they're too uncreative to even figure out what to prompt an AI to make.

I kept asking myself, how do I find interesting people to talk to? How do I find people to discuss with to expand my mind? Where are these people? And the answer is: At home, browsing the Internet.

We can be remiss that in times past the Agoran would be at a local arcade, bar, or fraternal lodge. But the fact is now even if an Agora user leaves for the "real world" they're mostly going to only mingle with their already-established network of friends.

I think I sound blackpilling here but I'm really trying to say: Technology isn't bad just because everyone else has fried their brains on it. There's nothing wrong with wanting to go on a cool internet community and have good long-form conversation. Agora isn't going to die for the reasons you mention because as long as mostly normies go outside there will be a desire for people to find communities where they can discuss more interesting niche topics.

Virtual Cafe Awards

PraxHeadroom

Cyber Gnostic
Reaction score
Awards
Chances are it will meet the same fate as most internet forums. It will slowly fade away until someone visits out of curiousity, only to find out the last post on it was made 2 years ago. So I plan to enjoy it while it lasts.

Tears in rain.
a9ddde38f5adafe6d277c268bf462836.gif

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Chances are it will meet the same fate as most internet forums. It will slowly fade away until someone visits out of curiousity, only to find out the last post on it was made 2 years ago. So I plan to enjoy it while it lasts.

Tears in rain.
View attachment 84326
Well we have survived for almost 6 years now, i doubt that would be the end of the road.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I joined a forum recently that is already on its last feeble legs. With only a small amount of regular users 3-4 including me, and with the top 2-3 threads having some sporadic activity from the former. That is if the thread is lucky enough to have activity at all.

The discussion has degraded into pleasantries, small talk, and minor trivial chit-chat alongside a somewhat active thread on how the forum is so dead.

It feels like visiting a place with a lot of former energy, but that it has mostly all dissipated into nothing. I even tried to revive it a little by making a good faith effort to post content and reply depsite it being really just a necro to obviously dead threads.

Once a forum crosses the threshold in which its active users dwindles below the number needed to sustain the continued appearance of the sporadic users the forum is effectively dead. For it to revive, it should have a flurry of activity from the active users and a good faith effort to revive threads or make new ones that aren't from 2 years ago. However, I haven't yet observed anything similar to this and would be happy to hear if anyone else has witnessed a revival.

From that measure, I think agora still has a lot of life in it. And even if it one day dies, I think I will definitely feel happy to have been in here and considered an active user.

Virtual Cafe Awards

s0ren

who cares
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
1*09eps5iwAVyldYtFUZH-mQ.png

*teleports behind you* nothing personal, Jesuit scum

Virtual Cafe Awards

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
For it to revive, it should have a flurry of activity from the active users and a good faith effort to revive threads or make new ones that aren't from 2 years ago. However, I haven't yet observed anything similar to this and would be happy to hear if anyone else has witnessed a revival.
The CWCki forums. Now kiwifarms.

Also on topic, except once it hits the blue the line goes down extremely fast since a different thing

1703834865003.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Which is why you need to post
Oh, do I know some users who can use this advice.

Agora breaks my echo chamber.
Nah, the moment I broke your echo chamber you blocked me.
Now you will never know how often I actually agree with you. And will never know that I love you and you could've been my primitive, techno-neanderthalic cocksuckin' queen. And hey, that last part is an actual quote here, don't bash me:
I'm a proud cocksucking mom

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Nah, the moment I broke you echo chamber you blocked me.
Now you will never know how often I actually agree with you. And will never know that I love you and you could've been my primitive, techno-neanderthalic cocksuckin' queen. And hey, that last part is an actual quote here, don't bash me:
Bruh get a life, there is a single random fuckhead on the internet that doesn't like you

Though this is a quote for the frontpage:
"I love you and you could've been my primitive, techno-neanderthalic cocksuckin' queen"

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Bruh get a life, there is a single random fuckhead on the internet that doesn't like you
No, no, I am... I am quite sure there is a solid number of fuckheads on the internet that don't like me.
And I don't care much, frankly. But... we are here, on Agora, so we gotta... talk about something? And I've just though I'd give this thread a bump. With a... little allusion to the fact that every press of the "block" button brings Agora closer to an end, step by little step. No interaction - no posts - no Agora. Simple as.

Edit: actually, why not to expand on this last thought.
The end of Agora might come in a more... indirect sense. And in that sense, it might've already came. Or nearby. With an influx of new "normie" users, Agora might simply lose its essence and then continue as some kind of a zombie, a YouTube, a name without its former self. Was it already discussed here, actually? I guess, I need to re-read the thread.
Anyway, thing is, the features themselves - like block button among other things - kind of promote the "normie" approach to the site. Or so I feel. It is a rather vague thought here, but, see, most of people here are in their early 20's, it seems. They are used to chat and Discord and whatever. They come in here, they see chat - and they jump in into chat. Forum is secondary for them. And, since they have no idea what forum culture is, even when they post on forums - it is just a chat post... but posted on a forum.
And, uh... Block button? Kind of a... gimmick thing or something like that. I mean, the only thing it really does is that it... separates the crowd in... non-meaningful way, so to say. It helps to keep the user amount steady, probably prevents users from leaving, but is it really that good? It just segments the conversation further, with certain users being unable to see each other's posts, therefore it makes conversations potentially less meaningful, promoting the instances of the same point being repeated by multiple users twice or more, et cetera.
Something along those lines. In the end of the day, you can just take a look at several examples, as I'm pretty sure everyone here is aware of at least one place that has all the fancy block buttons and other "safekeeping" features, but said place is still a cesspool.

All in all, the end of Agora might come as a simple... normalization of the place.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
I kept asking myself, how do I find interesting people to talk to? How do I find people to discuss with to expand my mind? Where are these people? And the answer is: At home, browsing the Internet.
That's the exact reason I come to the road, as my friends and family are all sick of talking to me about more complex topics. It's also very hard to talk to strangers about these things (unless if you're at a good bar) because people are just not interested anymore. I think over time it's become harder to harder to talk about these things, which is why I love the road.

Virtual Cafe Awards