How does it feel knowing that you will never see anything new in your lifetime?

Sable

Telvanni wizard.
Reaction score
Awards
The turn of the new millennium set the stage for a sea of originality and innovation. Almost everything from 2000-2010 was new and fresh. It makes me sad to know that every new app, platform, game or other piece of media will forever be riding off the success of its predecessor. The culture of the early 2000's felt genuine and happy and leaves me with a warm feeling whenever I reminisce upon it. It makes me sad I will never be able to experience the feelings I felt then. It makes me sad to know I will never again go through it all for the first time as I did then.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards
If things can go to shit in ~20 years, they can also return to being good too in ~20 years. Hell, you can even try making cool stuff yourself. If enough people do it, other people will start to follow and make own stuff in time too. That's my answer I guess. I agree we are in a general low in recent history, but nothing says this low has to be century long.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ixion_SEROV

Y2K Hype Beast
Reaction score
Awards
I came to this realization a long time ago. I was in high school in the late 2000's, and apart from the onset of smart phones accelerating the speed at which information would travel (not necessarily the quality of it), most things that we were seeing had already been done before. Everything from empires to electronics is a derivative of something that has already existed before albeit charged with an explosion of "new creativity."

This does not mean that one should stop trying to innovate or trying to find new ways to do certain things. The greatest example of this can be found in the logistical field with the rise of Amazon and Etsy and independent online distribution.

People simply have to begin to rediscover the concept of raw, unsanitized creativity which used to be the norm on the internet prior to the rise of social media. Everything seems so stale because every idea that -could- rock the boat is being filtered out by people who don't want to challenge their cash algorithms. Thankfully, younger generations and dissident older people are having none of this and are putting their time and money where their mouths are- going to other sources for things that are truly different and enough to break the tired, postmodern mold.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
The turn of the new millennium set the stage for a sea of originality and innovation. Almost everything from 2000-2010 was new and fresh. It makes me sad to know that every new app, platform, game or other piece of media will forever be riding off the success of its predecessor. The culture of the early 2000's felt genuine and happy and leaves me with a warm feeling whenever I reminisce upon it. It makes me sad I will never be able to experience the feelings I felt then. It makes me sad to know I will never again go through it all for the first time as I did then.
This is a very materialistic mentality. Who cares if Hollywood product #193473 isn't as good as Hollywood product #34. Living for 'culture' is a meaningless existence and there are way better/more important things to care about in life.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Chairman of the Deep-State Cabal, KEC
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aoaed-official.neocities.org
Why would I give a shit about seeing new things? Hell, ideally, I'd be able to live like an ooga-booga with 21st-century knowledge, and that's more than enough for me. Of course, that's a pretty individualistic worldview that works for me, and I definitely understand the pain of losing that childhood feeling of "holy shit, we're gonna have so much cool new stuff by the time I'm an adult! The world is probably gonna be cool!" but at the same time, it's important to remember that soooo much "new" shit doesn't even matter, and that we were never really designed to know or care so much about the big picture and global society, and it's pretty clear that rapid advancement (or even staying at this level) with our current means is simply not sustainable, and will eventually fall. The new shiny things from 2000s-now are mostly just to keep you bought into the idea that it's fine to run ourselves off a cliff for it. Like another inch of snow over the blanketed ground, it covers the grass a little more, but eventually the spring's gonna come.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards
This is a very materialistic mentality. Who cares if Hollywood product #193473 isn't as good as Hollywood product #34. Living for 'culture' is a meaningless existence and there are way better/more important things to care about in life.
Well, I enjoy art and I like new experiences in general. And last decade we pretty much saw stagnation besides few new things popping here and there and that's a shame. I miss the times we had experimentatoin with everything all the time. We live in a world where everything is sold as a product, so criticize something on that is kinda meaningless.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Well, I enjoy art and I like new experiences in general. And last decade we pretty much saw stagnation besides few new things popping here and there and that's a shame. I miss the times we had experimentatoin with everything all the time. We live in a world where everything is sold as a product, so criticize something on that is kinda meaningless.
What we enjoyed in in the tail end of the last century and the start of this one is like a heroin high, the way things are going is society coming down from said high. While the culture produced in the high period may have felt nice in the moment, it ultimately led to the decay we see today. Nothing about the last 100 or so years has been remotely natural or sustainable. This isn't just about "consume product = bad". Everything we value from the modern materialist secular worldview to the consumption it fuels is an illusion of progress that is bound to come crashing down in our lifetimes.

In previous generations you had materialists who spent their life chasing greed, lust or power but even the most successful of those people didn't have a shred of the abundance distracting us from life's true meaning. Appreciating art is a virtue but life shouldn't lose any value if art is lost. If it does, life is empty to begin with and people really need to rethink it
or just an hero before all the EPIC movies and music inevitably dry up completely.

Virtual Cafe Awards

dullkedo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I understand your nostalgia, but the truth is that the rate of innovation is insanely higher now than it ever has been.
Every year we get more advancements in AI, biotech, medicine, art, engineering, etc than a person would have seen in a lifetime, two generations ago.
You just don't perceive it, because our brains are dopamine-starved by the Algorithm and we have been trained to think that novelty is seeing a new teenager ass every 5 seconds on TikTok.
If you look around, you have infinite reasons to be excited about the present. The only "big" things that are stagnating are consumer technology, media production and, some say, physics (they haven't had a real breakthrough in 50 years and some say that one is overdue). And honestly, fuck the Chinese Jew, fuck the Hollywood Jew, and most importantly fuck physicists.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards
What we enjoyed in in the tail end of the last century and the start of this one is like a heroin high, the way things are going is society coming down from said high. While the culture produced in the high period may have felt nice in the moment, it ultimately led to the decay we see today. Nothing about the last 100 or so years has been remotely natural or sustainable. This isn't just about "consume product = bad". Everything we value from the modern materialist secular worldview to the consumption it fuels is an illusion of progress that is bound to come crashing down in our lifetimes.

In previous generations you had materialists who spent their life chasing greed, lust or power but even the most successful of those people didn't have a shred of the abundance distracting us from life's true meaning. Appreciating art is a virtue but life shouldn't lose any value if art is lost. If it does, life is empty to begin with and people really need to rethink it
or just an hero before all the EPIC movies and music inevitably dry up completely.
Well, I don't think people doing creative stuff let to decay. I would say the decay let to the end of that, not the other way around. I'm don't care so much about having products to consume, but It's more about people sharing stuff they create with each other and just the fun of exploration. I don't think anything is wrong with that and it makes life fun. You didn't even have that done for the money back then, because there were no formulas you could follow, so basically people could experiment for fun and some people in suit would still fund them since everything was a risk so they might as well give funding to something experimental.

I am not really advocating for greed, or that kind of materialism. I'm outright against that and feel it should be abandoned. I just don't believe in some kind of "return to nature" or what not, since if that was so great we never would try to leave it. I believe we can make forward a road where we enjoy each other creativity and live our lives doing things we find important.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I just don't believe in some kind of "return to nature" or what not, since if that was so great we never would try to leave it. I believe we can make forward a road where we enjoy each other creativity and live our lives doing things we find important.
Our ancestors didn't leave tradition because it was unfulfilling , they left it gradually for the material gain of modernity. "So what if living in a city is more isolating than living in a town or countryside where everyone knows each other for hundreds of years, it pays more". Thinking like that over a hundred years is what got us here, not people deciding we need to do become a better society than we were. They were entranced by all the promises of liberalism and didn't see the end of the road, all the meanwhile they were placated with arts and culture in the same way the romans used bread and circus.

Obviously I don't think we should all go live in shacks like uncle Ted but the progressive enlightenment mindset of "things always move forward over time" is not the way life works. Everyone from peasants to kings were more fulfilled with life before and they didn't have the entertainment or culture we have. Hell even people today in poorer countries more tied to tradition are happier than people in the west overall. Move those people to the west and within 2 generations their children become mindless consumers with no purpose in life even if they're happier initially with their material gain. What we need is for people to rediscover meaning outside of modernity. Anything within it is corrosive on some level no matter how nice it seems, once people have that progress with tech and everything else will be more mindful to the human spirit.

Virtual Cafe Awards