How long do you think it would take for regular peeps to migrate over to places like Neocities if social media went down completely?

cybercola

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
(Just to be nice there's still Youtube, Tiktok, Tumblr, and Discord in this timeline btw)
makes the hypothetical pointless then. People will just go to those sites, YT and TikTok still have decent community options and it'd probably take hours before influencers (most of whom would have accounts there) find out which social media platforms DIDNT go down, and just redirect their followers there. then those platforms get big, corporatize, and we're back where we started.

honestly the only thing that would really happen if just FB/IG/Twitter all suddenly went down is you'd have a lot of older folks who rely on facebook messenger to talk to their kids and grandkids suddenly spamming google with "what happened to facebook". and then everyone just migrates to whatsapp groups or something. I think it's a relatively small number that are hopelessly dependent on social media specifically - isolated people with addictive personalities, and influencers who didn't have an exit plan for their platform just disappearing (because why on earth would you ever expect it to?)

also you can sort of see what would happen by looking at Vine's shutdown. what happened was most influencers just moved to youtube or tiktok, some lost followers, some gained masses of new ones. People still sit round and watch vine compilations, and tiktok has basically taken over for it. all in all no real difference to humanity at large

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
By regular peeps, do you mean normies? Like normie-ass normies? They would give up. They'd go ballistic. They'd lose it. They entirely base their existence on things like Facebook and Instagram. Anecdote: At least 60% of normies I know would lose their fucking minds and have a meltdown if modern social media platforms disappeared over night.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kultra

veteran n00b
Reaction score
Awards
I knew 25+ rich people that don't have computers because their iphone can do anything they want but manage to pull 3+ screentime every day. They wouldn't be able to cope with not using their computers nonstop soo they would force websites to become like their main website even if there are technical difficulties. Just remember, twitter twitterised >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk redditised 4chan and 4chan 4chanizes every 5pph+ IB. I think in 2 weeks every website would become twitter/>redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk nodes with different UI.
It's not even rich people and zoomers. I worked with a lower middle class Xennial who had no pc either, just an iPhone. When he had to type the occasional email at work he just used single finger plucking. Though I found this situation at least endearing, he was rooted in analog and would say stuff like "I wanna tape that" without irony.

The population is surprising less computer literate than you'd expect despite our reliance on digital technology being higher than ever.

Virtual Cafe Awards
(big read incoming)

I was reading some of the replies on 1980Miami's thread about No Smartphones or No Social Media, and then I was reminded about that time FB and Insta went down for a bit, and that go me thinking...

If FB, Insta, and Twitter were to completely *POOF* overnight, how long do you think it would take for the gen pop to start looking at places like Neocities or Mastodon, or forums, or even one of the MySpace clone sites to have an online presence or stay connected? How many of them you think would actually be PUSHED to making their own site, How many would just give up on the internet and actually go outside and touch grass?

(Just to be nice there's still Youtube, Tiktok, Tumblr, and Discord in this timeline btw

It'll still be a shithole because YouTube can still censor people if they so please, Tiktok will continue to be a front for China/The Chinese Communist Party to infiltrate and steal people information and intellectual properties, Discord will still have trannies, pedophiles, and such roaming about, and tumblr would still continue to fester disgusting beliefs that were the source of gamergate and later, the social justice movement.

But that aside I'm gonna focus this on two fronts; economic and social/cultural

Economically speaking...

If social media were to go down, realistically speaking this would be very disastrous for all parties accounted for. Including those who use it for their small businesses/startup companies, YouTube channel, and independent professions which includes anyone who takes their hobbies as a job (Artists, Gamers, Reviewers/Critics... etc.) and those who consider themselves Journalists BUT do not belong to any news organization or association whatsoever (think Tim Pool or John Stossel for an example). Plus, all information and data would be instantly wiped off from the internet which is something most networks need to survive. Whether one finds that good or bad is entirely up to their opinions and beliefs alone.

It would also likely lead to an economic crash as well. Maybe small in nature who knows but I would also note that only groups that would benefit the most and more so too would the many media corporations and networks who have since put many platforms at gun point to shut down or outright censor people's right to freely express their opinions without fear of prosecutions of their beliefs. Which by the way, has gone on since 2016 or 2017 when right-wing content and a series of dissenting democrats (whom are likely more moderate in nature) began to pop all over social media platforms after the election of Donald Trump. Much of this content, while varied in degrees of how strong the user's beliefs were, was enough for the many more conservative-natured and even some liberal minded folks to stop taking news media seriously after they've proven to be highly biased and how much bad information they've been receiving since the 60s or earlier depending on how much you researched on this subject.

Should social media be gone and with the current state of YouTube around this time would be a major win for news networks as they'll be the only source of news for people to watch and due to how most of them are biased and tend to get things wrong this would be a major loss for everyone who opposes news network stations such as CNN or Fox. Also Government officials and candidates who are more ambitious in nature will also take this as a win too meaning they can push for false information depending on the party, who is the president, and so forth and actually Joe Biden's Administration can be used as an example as they constantly push for people to simply "follow the science" and force people to take the vaccine despite their concerns thankfully there's enough push back against Joe Biden's administration and many other officials too. But without social media with how rapid information can spread on there, the things we're hearing in regards to government corruption and so forth from 2014 to now would easily be kept under the rug until later when much of the evidence has been destroyed (MK Ultra anyone?)

Socially/Culturally Speaking...

While many here would agree that things would be better and believe me the thought of some people such as Divas, Lolcows, and what not would be forced to go back into the workforce is funny as hell. There are some things to consider however.

Should social media disappear much of our current (US/Gen Z Kids) and younger generations are likely going to flock over to discord and Tik Tok considering that these two are the more mainstream platforms than we are to think. They're not Forums or IRC. As Myspace, the earliest social media website, likely if people migrate there it would continue to exist in same vein as Facebook does. (Keep in mind to those who were in high school when Myspace was popular even it too had its fair share of drama and psychological rewiring on the human brain long before Facebook, Twitter, and what not took that into overdrive.) But as for the more alternative or "clones" I'm not sure how the more supposedly "right winged" media platforms like Gab or Parler will take in these people. Given that how nowadays a niche community can be outright destroyed by a sudden influx of people who likely associate themselves with progressive identity groups such as the LGBTQ and BLM or are ideologues of many ideologies on the left. Most likely possible outcomes are; they're banned/gatekept from entering or Parler and Gab will be pressured into demands that favor the more polarized groups of people assuming if the owners of both will attempt.

Likely the many users on the internet, those who aren't tech savvy enough to form their own website or are even aware such services like Wix, neocities, etc., to help them make their sites are likely going just going to stick to whatever platform is currently available to them. As for the drop of people using the internet, I'm not expecting much change on a massive scale a side from 'hey, Twitter no longer exists' so that's one thing to celebrate, I guess? Unfortunately, while yes, the internet or social media (whichever comes first) is to blame for the sudden decay of civil society. I wouldn't blame the internet entirely on that issue and if anything, the issues surrounding our societies today is much larger not so monocausal than it is thought of. In fact, a good example of this is how there is an increasing number of people who uses social media and observe what's being posted on there or people who use forums, message boards, IRC, an such. Who are looking what being posted and what going out in the world.

A common response I am also seeing is this otherwise pessimistic and downright bleak view formed from the observation others and their interactions with people varying from different backgrounds and opinions. I should note that both social media users and non-social media users tend to have a common trait in each other that seem to suggest that none of these people have any meaning in their lives and lack necessary social capital and bonds such as family, friendships, associations, and sense of belonging in their communities outside the internet itself and generally view themselves as nothing more than a mere powerless speck. I'm not attacking anyone here who believes in this mindset as I do see and understand why many would feel like that and in fact there are people here in Agora who aren't like this at all! So don't get me wrong what I'm saying here but it is my personal observations alone.

So, in terms of people going "insane" I don't see that happening. Sure, there will be a shock and some panic but I'd expect that eventually people will end up forgetting about it within a week and have already found new platforms to use. Especially the fact that there will be entrepreneurs who are willing to play game in making their own platforms online and compete in a somewhat newly renewed market competition without the big players such as Twitter and Facebook with their subsidiaries like Instagram and snapchat taking up the market. The only problem is that other big players like Discord and Tiktok and to an extent, YouTube, will likely create an uphill battle for the many newer platforms out there. Since they're the exception in OP's question.

Overall...

While I do not like social media and every aspect it comes with and had created, I do see the importance of social media and if anything, I'd argue that it's an essential tool for everyone to use regardless how everybody here feels about it. This of course is running the assumption of normalfags not wanting to learn about the internet, computer technology, computer services... etc. which in most case, yeah, some don't but there's also a good chunk of them who DO want to learn and are willing to learn about the internet in its early stages back in the 80s and 90s and the technology that makes the internet great.

Same with newfags not wanting to adopt the many lingoes and rules in the various niche subgroup online that goes on here especially in the gaming community itself (lol). This brings a conflict that comes down to newfags/normalfags on wanting to be nice which there is nothing wrong with that but sometimes it's better to go with the flow and let those who just wanna say derogative words or slurs without inconvenience. Plus, that latter is much better as just reacting to them will get you targeted and trolled by those people.

I do feel like that in the absence of social media we've certainly taken both it and the internet for granted at least for the majority who only use it for entertainment purposes and to firm their beliefs with likeminded people who are never a part of their lives outside the boundaries of our computers. I do think personally that it be imperative to start using the internet less often than naught and to start pursuing new friendships, meet up with old ones, and form associations outside the internet which is a lot better than it is than being alone and also will give you actual meaning too.

In the end however, should social media disappear while it will greatly improve the general mental health of some people, I don't think it will heal/improve the country, economy, or society in the long run. Essentially this whole scenario can be seen as a "temporary solution to a permanent problem" scenario in which any form of alternative and solution would only mitigate the large problem that is still looming over us. That problem would be a decay within the societies in every country here in the west and elsewhere in the world. Atomization, isolation, and general loneliness lead to vulnerability in one's mental health, cognitive or critical thinking (which ever comes firsts) and most importantly it causes them to be easily manipulated by those more extreme and polarized into following their beliefs making them ready targets for radicalization. In fact, the last two decades (or half a century and a decade if you've dig deep enough like me) should be an example to that looming problem.

TL:DR

If social media were to disappear then in my opinion this would happen:

Pros:
  • Mental Health among people of all ages will greatly improve
  • There would be Incentives for people to create their own websites and forums to discuss things they enjoy
  • Entrepreneurship for social media will explode in popularity as to replace the old platforms to provide a possible "fairer" ground for discourse and discussion
  • It could possibly lead to deradicalization as people are allowed to express themselves without fear of persecution or ostracization and would clear many misconceptions and debunk bad information.
  • All extremities on the political spectrum will be pushed all the way back to the fringes where they should've belonged as they'll start to become less popular among the masses.
  • lolcows and attentions whore will have to get a job or become homeless. Odds of latter is 90%.
Cons:
  • Censorship is more than likely to be more prevalent than ever and more so as News Media networks and Hollywood continue to be prevalent in holding platforms at gunpoint to protect their content from dissenting or opposition groups.
  • Most people who do not use the internet as a tool to search up information and instead as entertainment purposes will likely flock to any remaining platforms or try to attempt to migrate to older more niche parts of the internet leading to a series of more mass migration as new users are gatekept or the owner is force to cave in to the demands of new people.
  • News Industries will continue to dominate media continuing to receive the same source that might not be creditable entirely or should they be, that source would be subjected to sensationalism, yellow journalism, and/or be dismissed as trash if it comes into conflict with the narrative they'll try to spin. (Remember the overpopulation shtick back in the 60s? That was sensationalized and the damage it did now affects the modern-day politics of today)
  • Extremities/Radicals will continue to be encouraged or commemorated by Narrative Driven media as there won't be anyone to oppose them on both YouTube and any remaining media platforms out there.
  • Any criticism against the government or at least the people running the government, along with opposition against more mainstream opinions and ideologies are likely to be kept under the rug until discovered later when most people had forgotten about it. Again, MKUltra anyone?
  • It would cause many hobby-driven peoples to drop their hobby and apply at a job (assuming that there are those who don't own a job) in order to sustain a steady source of income giving them less time to pursue their hobbies.
  • It will cause an economic crash for all mom-and-pop shops/local businesses who need social media as a way to advertise their products and establishment and given that today there are more federal regulations and mandates that outright crush all basic competition unless they're a corporation whom are safe harbored by subsidies in the form of our tax money. And that's not even bringing up the state regulations and mandates either! (Especially coming from someone who lives in a state where trying to own a business is nigh impossible given the many policies, laws, and regulations that were passed over the spawn of fucking 4 decades)
  • Twitter might be gone, sure, but it won't take long for another platform to be the new twitter. Let's face that type of shit isn't going anywhere unless the platform decides to stop interfering with the content being made by both private individuals on a networking field.
To quote Lain on that last point in cons:

The Wired [The Internet] is not an upper layer of the real world. That's what that man was mistaken about. A network is a field to pass along information. Information doesn't stand still there. Information functions by always being in motion.

While I do hope this should answer your question. I hope this doesn't exactly upset anyone who hopes the disappearance of social media would be a major improvement of our society but unfortunately the reality isn't that honky dory than one expects to be. Serious consequences will occur should such a scenario DO happen in lives in the possible near future which I hope to God it doesn't! With that's that my big long ass post, thanks for coming to my ted talk everyone.

Virtual Cafe Awards

AvocadoJelly

Eastern Calculus
Reaction score
Awards
It depends. Would all the infrastructure behind those sites disappear overnight? By that I mean stuff like AWS or Azure or the entire ecosystem of tools that allows us to rapidly build websites.
If the basic web ecosystem remains intact a small (5-6) team of reasonably experienced devs could probably rebuild a minimum viable replacement for each of those social media in less than a week, if not a couple of days. The reason for this is most of the engineering challenges with these sites have already been solved so many ways up until now. Hell, if these companies retain their dev teams, and we assume that all of their version control goes poof too, then they'd have stuff up and running possibly the very next day. In two weeks it'd be like it never happened (but for the memes). The biggest challenge would be organizing the efforts, but that, while a difficult problem, is also solvable (and has been solved in the past).

Virtual Cafe Awards
While I do hope this should answer your question. I hope this doesn't exactly upset anyone who hopes the disappearance of social media would be a major improvement of our society but unfortunately the reality isn't that honky dory than one expects to be. Serious consequences will occur should such a scenario DO happen in lives in the possible near future which I hope to God it doesn't! With that's that my big long ass post, thanks for coming to my ted talk everyone.
Wow, props for thinking about a more realistic outcome without sounding too doomer about it. I would really like to think a complete wipeout of social media would have more improvement over consequences but for what you stated that's not true, I feel like mostly because there's a whole different type of people flocking to the internet than there was even 20 much less than 10 years ago....

nice deep think....

Virtual Cafe Awards

E R I L A Z

Young Wehrwolf
Reaction score
Awards
what will happen for sure is that ppl will go completely FUBAR for the first few weeks. or months. a big part of the population will for sure. ive done a small experiment on myself. and i really cant spend more than 2 hours without randomly clicking on the White F with blue BG icon. even if its just for 5 mins.

the initial phases of "going unplugged" (for exams) are really really tough. i need internet ofc for my studies, but i often end up spending hours on social media on my 10 min breaks.

so things will be complete chaos the first few months. thats for sure. and i kinda want these sites to disappear lol.
yeah, it's hard unplugging from everything. I went hardcore and went camping for a few days with only my camera to try and reset, but I understand not everyone has the time or inclination to.
As far as I'm concerned Discord and >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk did a lot more damage to the internet and internet subcultures than FB, Twitter, and Instagram did. Social media are normie filters, and are predominantly used by people who 10 ~ 15 years ago had little interest in the internet. Discord and >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk basically killed Internet forums, which pisses me off a lot more.
big agree??? a good comparison would be gateway drugs, because the ease of access to the internet was ramped up, so anyone with half a prefrontal cortex can get online and speak their mind. that just plays into the whole "oldfags running for the hills" situation that's been going on since smartphones became widely accessible with social media apps.

kinda like...Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe eh?
heh i hope this site always remembers it's heritage :')

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3578

To be completely blunt I think most of them are too retar-- well maybe that's a bit harsh-- not tech savvy enough to use a community like neocities. I've talked to zoomers and mentioned light computer terms like "browser" and "cache" and had to explain what both those things were. The fediverse already sucks so if they moved there it wouldn't really change much. That would be the most likely scenario for migration given it would still be able to satisfy the addiction to likes and subscriptions for those who have built large chunks of identity around online profiles, just based on what horrors I've glimpsed from tiktok and twitter.
I've read an article once that said a lot zoomies aren't familiar with file folders and shit. I don't know how true/widespread it is among the Z's and the upcoming generation, but if most of your experience with the internet is with a smart phone and cloud systems, I could see that.

Pre-social media I spent most of my internet time on band forums. So I would expect things of that nature come back and get populated.

But I don't see social media falling anytime soon. If anything it's gonna get bigger and worse before it's able to pop.

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
I was reading some of the replies on 1980Miami's thread about No Smartphones or No Social Media, and then I was reminded about that time FB and Insta went down for a bit, and that go me thinking...

If FB, Insta, and Twitter were to completely *POOF* overnight, how long do you think it would take for the gen pop to start looking at places like Neocities or Mastodon, or forums, or even one of the MySpace clone sites to have an online presence or stay connected? How many of them you think would actually be PUSHED to making their own site, How many would just give up on the internet and actually go outside and touch grass?

(Just to be nice there's still Youtube, Tiktok, Tumblr, and Discord in this timeline btw)
Edit: OKAY, I realize leaving in TikTok and Tumblr just makes this question MOOT, so we only have Youtube and that's it, and what I mean by gen pop I mean normies
I vote going outside and touching grass, because the first thing that would happen if these sites went poof would be massive riots in every major city and a bunch of minor ones too, all over the world. Then the tech companies not affected by this event would immediately take advantage of the opportunity to expand their own domains and make themselves the new monopolies. It would take a little while, but people would then become acclimated to them and use these other tech companies and/or startups that got made or exploded due to to this event for their new social media homes, and things would go back to "normal" again - albeit another few steps closer to the inevitable doom hanging over the modern world

Virtual Cafe Awards
I don't think half of them even heard of Neocities, so unless some of them get more tech savvy (or just move their digital butts), I think it's pretty safe to say they won't migrate en masse here. They'll either go to get their dopamine shots in real life or just go insane. I'm pretty sure (and kinda worried) that some may even... off themselves. Social media, for some people, is literally a part of their personality. It's really scary. They are straight up ENSLAVED.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I don't think half of them even heard of Neocities, so unless some of them get more tech savvy (or just move their digital butts), I think it's pretty safe to say they won't migrate en masse here. They'll either go to get their dopamine shots in real life or just go insane. I'm pretty sure (and kinda worried) that some may even... off themselves. Social media, for some people, is literally a part of their personality. It's really scary. They are straight up ENSLAVED.

I pretty much explained why the removal social media is more of a detrimental than a positive but I'm not gonna get into it and plus you can check that for yourself really.

It is true that social media really the internet is more accurately, addicting. Which is why there needs to be an effort for to get those addicted to the internet to get off their phones and computers more which won't be easy.

As for the personally part, that's just due in point of the side effects of internet addiction. Going out less and spending time online more is a great way for people to slowly lose all form of associations, connection, and even to some extreme degree, social capital they've developed since they were born. To say they've become a slave is no short of understatement. It's very easy to become a slave to your desires/cravings which the internet 99% of the time provides.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
The whole TV junkie trope would probably come back and many would either end up as one or go touch grass. They might try to adjust to forums and neocities etc. but most would fall flat on their face. I remember seeing a post on Tumblr about some kids who were in maybe high school and did not even know how to set up an email account so they signed up to TikTok with a gibberish email which happened to be the Tumblr OPs email. Cue a thread where OP spends hours teaching them how to set up an email account. I set up an email account when I was ten years old, for comparison.
Went and dug up the post.
View: https://pure.tumblr.com/post/672219540832305152/on-hour-18-we-have-finally-transferred-ownership

The internet without big tech social media was not made for most people.

Virtual Cafe Awards

xX.majin_TwEeN.Xx

Staticbender
Reaction score
Awards
Website
humanraccoon.com
i think people would have a hard time coping with it. it's easier to enjoy a simple, web 1.0. lifestyle when you either never had the comparison of social media or were totally uninterested in that whole system.

to take someone who's already indoctrinated into it, based their identity around it, wrapped their entire day-to-day lifestyle in it, that would be a hard sell. i don't think they'd like the transition, sad as it is to say.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I think social media disappearing would spark an amazing renaissance in internet culture. Tech-literate users with specific interests would return to small-scale forums like this one or create their own forums.
A lot of normies who use social media solely for validation and dopamine hits would give up on the internet entirely, apart from google searches. People would begin to reconnect IRL more.
Influencers/instagram divas would have mental breakdowns when they realize they have to get actual jobs.
People in general would be happier and less stressed, because they wouldn't be constantly scrolling through an endless feed of propaganda, sensationalist headlines and advertisements.
I'm struggling to think of a single bad outcome.
This. Also the fact that twitch wouldn't be around so people would actually play games to have fun again. Seriously, It's very rare to see a pro streamer actually having fun playing the game they're good at, they all look so dead on the inside or stressed because losing too many times could jeopardize their livelihoods. Every man and his dog wouldn't be trying to monetize so people would actually start building proper online communities for games instead of just endless self-promo from streamers and content creators who are in it for the money only. Communities would grow, AAA games might suffer a bit because of the absent social media feedback they get. Not that AAA is any good now. Indy games will either suffer greatly or flourish because of open forums like this one. It would be a lot harder to crowd fund an indy game since there would be no social media to promote it, but forum based communities may be more willing to back games they have taken a vested interest in. It would be very interesting to see.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chen

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
People who aren't as accustomed to the internet, or "normies" as you'd call them don't have the same distinction we. or anyone that used the internet more, between the internet persona and the real life persona. Once you cut off their social media that is tied to their real life persona I'm not sure they'd flock into forums or other websites that don't rely on it in the same way. They'd probably just leave the internet and go back to real life.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
People who aren't as accustomed to the internet, or "normies" as you'd call them don't have the same distinction we. or anyone that used the internet more, between the internet persona and the real life persona. Once you cut off their social media that is tied to their real life persona I'm not sure they'd flock into forums or other websites that don't rely on it in the same way. They'd probably just leave the internet and go back to real life.
The reason they'd do this is that there aren't apps for every neocities site that make them easily phone accessible and dopamine addictive. If phones disappeared tomorrow so would 90% of internet traffic.

Virtual Cafe Awards

juicy_ricky

crusader of the glob realmz.....
Reaction score
Awards
what will happen for sure is that ppl will go completely FUBAR for the first few weeks. or months. a big part of the population will for sure. ive done a small experiment on myself. and i really cant spend more than 2 hours without randomly clicking on the White F with blue BG icon. even if its just for 5 mins.

the initial phases of "going unplugged" (for exams) are really really tough. i need internet ofc for my studies, but i often end up spending hours on social media on my 10 min breaks.

so things will be complete chaos the first few months. thats for sure. and i kinda want these sites to disappear lol.
I feel bad for you. Social media is the gayest possible pastime

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shantotto

TTD Militia
Reaction score
Awards
I've been thinking about this lately and am really glad to find out other people have to. Lowering the barrier of entry attracts people who lack dedication or drive that usually makes people interesting. They do things because everybody else is doing them, and the only reason everyone else is doing them is because they don't require significant effort to get into.

Virtual Cafe Awards