How The Supreme Court's Abortion Ban Might Actually Be A Disaster For The Right Wing

かっこいいメガネ

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
"The supreme court has ruled there is no constitutional right to abortion in the United States, upending the landmark Roe v Wade case from nearly 50 years ago in a rare reversal of long-settled law that will fracture reproductive rights in America.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/24/overturning-roe-story-is-women-unfreedom
Joe Biden called the ruling a "tragic error" and the Republicans celebrating it "wrong, extreme and out of touch".

I'm pretty sure that right now most republicans are having the time of their life, while other factions of the right wing at the least are enjoying the very classic reactions of liberals, you know the twitter posts and the screaming at the protests. But the situation is actually more serious than internet politic beef, or we may say that the internet politic beef is more serious than we think.
Now we have all seen the massive political shifts of the last very recent years, how these trends that have started in the Us ended up influencing the whole western world and others, and that now we find ourselves in an extremely left wing culture which heavily affected the youth.

I'm myself a Gen Z fag who doesn't even live in the USA and I can assure you most right wing / conservative points of view are very stigmatized, and sustaining them could unironically get you ostracized very quickly.
So what's my point? In a society that's heading at godlike speed in the progressive, a big and controversial move to the right by the Institutions (the ONLY one btw) will just accelerate the process.
Great part of the population now feels stripped of an important right, insulted and violated, and that's the best mood for getting (even more) radicalized, for embracing the mainstream feminist movements, for hating the republicans and by consequences going full democrat/progressive.
Even for those living OUTSIDE us is a great shock, we are basically cultural colonies afterall just think about what happened with BLM, of course not as loud as america but still having its impact.

What I want to say is that we are a playing a culture game not a law one, and that this happening will only marginalize the right even more,

sorryformakingyouseethisX.jpg

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
All the important institutions in the US are already controlled by the left in some way. If politics was not to lopsided I could see the point that this ruling would galvanise the left and be bad in the long run but with the system being as it is what does it matter? The government already has all the pretences and precedent they need to do whatever they want and the left already sees the right as the devil. When you're losing a war anyways whatever win you can get is important. Assuming this isn't some 200 IQ plan for containment by the elites, the right should celebrate one of the few moral victories we've gotten in forever.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
It's all just theatre and sissies crying over nothing.
Abortions were not banned, it's now just a matter of the states again to regulate it.
Alabama will ban it and Colorado or what was it will allow it up to minutes before birth.
Abortions were found not to be a constitutional right in the US. Doesn't mean it's banned.
But I enjoy the seethe from people who a) misunderstand the consequences of this decision and b) were very happy to advocate for mandatory vaccinations for the last 2 years.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
I just hope we get some riot kino and they try storming the SCOTUS so I don't have to hear about January 6th anymore lul.

I disagree with this decision from the Supreme Court, just as I have been against vaccine mandates, I do not appreciate the government dictating what can and can't be done with one's body. Of course there is the moral dilemma of how long is too long before abortion is considered unethical, and when it stops being a matter of just one's body but also that of the fetus, which is a huge gray area depending on who you talk too. But an outright ban in some states, even in the cases of rape and incest, is going too far.

The only upside for the right is that this could potentially keep the progressive locusts from moving into right wing strongholds (as they have done during blue state Covid lockdowns) although it seems corporations are now offering to pay for employees to go out of state for abortions so who knows.

Democrats are going to use this ruling to energize their base during midterms, and this could very well lead to attempts to "expand" the Supreme Court. But I think these efforts will fall short, as I've said before, people are more concerned about the Biden administration's economic failures to vote on social issues this cycle.

I'm myself a Gen Z fag who doesn't even live in the USA and I can assure you most right wing / conservative points of view are very stigmatized, and sustaining them could unironically get you ostracized very quickly.
That's when you just learn to stop giving a shit about what other people think lol. Besides, as long as oneself or the other more left leaning Gen Z-ers don't make politics their whole personality you can usually get by.
Great part of the population now feels stripped of an important right, insulted and violated, and that's the best mood for getting (even more) radicalized, for embracing the mainstream feminist movements, for hating the republicans and by consequences going full democrat/progressive.
I think the US was already passed that point before this ruling. The shift has been very noticeable in the cultural institutions over the last few years (film, museums, universities, etc.) Sure this ruling will add a few more centrists to the left, but I think most adults are already entrenched in their ideology.
So what's my point? In a society that's heading at godlike speed in the progressive, a big and controversial move to the right by the Institutions (the ONLY one btw) will just accelerate the process.
cc8.gif

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2362

So you're saying the right has an image problem, right, because the left controls the mainstream culture today, and so you say the right shouldn't fight for its own agenda, because it might worsen its image problem that can't be improved because the left controls the mainstream today, so your solution is that the right should focus instead on advancing the left's agenda to improve its image, in the hopes the left stops screeching even tho it never will because partisan politics gonna be partisan.

Yup, quality thread.

Nephaneel

Brute of the Lagoon
Reaction score
Awards
Anything that stirs the waters is good in my opinion. Any incentive to action is a good one, no matter on what side.

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Killing babies is not okay. So pick a side, you either support the murder of humans or you don't.
Ah but you don't understand

If we wave our hands around and use big words like "viable embryo" or "undesired pregnancy", we can successfully redefine baby to mean "a child that is convenient to it's mother", therefore giving us free reign to kill the inconvenient ones because they aren't babies anymore. Therefore there's no moral problem.

Just remember though, if you kick a pregnant woman in the chest and she miscarries, you're going to jail for murder. That child was convenient, so it's a baby.

Friend

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Can someone one explain to me what the reason abortion should be allowed is, apart from rape? I don't see any reason it should be allowed in any other case, and I've only heard of it as the reason, and if it is the only reason shouldn't abortion be banned with that as the exception, rather than allowed?

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I just want to put this out here. I see a lot of people advocate for Planned Parenthood bc they offer other services than abortions. What a lot of people don't realize (thanks to PP and other left wing people) that there are plenty of non-profit organizations that will supply baby supplies, some monetary help, and even adoption services for pregnant mothers in need. The difference is that these organizations are mostly Christian and right-wing so they're automatically bad and should be suppressed in the eyes of the left. There are so many more options for unwanted pregnancies than abortion and many of these other organizations really do care about everyone that walks through their doors.

Can someone one explain to me what the reason abortion should be allowed is, apart from rape? I don't see any reason it should be allowed in any other case, and I've only heard of it as the reason, and if it is the only reason shouldn't abortion be banned with that as the exception, rather than allowed?
mY bOdY mY cHoIcE!!!!1!111!1
Essentially the only argument is that people don't want to take responsibility for their own actions.

Virtual Cafe Awards

gwen

戈文
Reaction score
Awards
Pray for the end of the Christian right. They deliver themselves to Satan.

Virtual Cafe Awards

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
Some people think of themselves as unfit parents to provide for a child, some couldn't afford it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

cybercola

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
All the important institutions in the US are already controlled by the left in some way. If politics was not to lopsided I could see the point that this ruling would galvanise the left and be bad in the long run but with the system being as it is what does it matter? The government already has all the pretences and precedent they need to do whatever they want and the left already sees the right as the devil. When you're losing a war anyways whatever win you can get is important. Assuming this isn't some 200 IQ plan for containment by the elites, the right should celebrate one of the few moral victories we've gotten in forever.
really the fact this passed despite 'The Left' controlling all the important institutions should be a sure enough sign that US politics isnt actually left vs right and is more Overt Right vs Polite Right (or at least Polite Centrist). The right controls all the institutions, the form of right in power would just prefer bread and circuses over boots and force
no left-wing institution would have just shrugged as this went through, nor would they have shrugged at all the other steps that lead to this. dems can pay lip service to progressive ideals but the speed at which its been happening is at best 10+ years behind popular opinion and at worst actively against popular opinion (like this). Given the speed at which the world is likely to go to shit, the dems are making very slow power plays if thats their goal.
If 'the left' could really do whatever it wants now, why bide its time like this? And if they control all institutions, how did this happen? US politics is so far removed from even 20th century leftist thought that we'll likely all be dead before anything fundamentally changes.

unless it really is some absurd 'let republicans make abortion legal so we can beat them in the next election' rhetoric, but again if the dems are willing to let half their voterbase potentially lose a right for several years all to win at politics then they're still just pretending to care for the cause. leftist goals don't have time to wait (actually no ideology does but right now it'd be far easier to push the US towards totalitarian rightwing than totalitarian leftwing)

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
really the fact this passed despite 'The Left' controlling all the important institutions should be a sure enough sign that US politics isnt actually left vs right and is more Overt Right vs Polite Right (or at least Polite Centrist).
That's not how the Supreme Court works. The Supreme Court is mostly independent, but still based on POTUS backed picks, therefore not directly elected. While the POTUS who appoints them is elected by vote, the appointment of justices is still somewhat removed from the executive branch and other institutions because the circumstances which open up seats on the SCOTUS is somewhat random (from retirements, to the unexpected death of a sitting justice.) It's basically RNG to an extent.
no left-wing institution would have just shrugged as this went through, nor would they have shrugged at all the other steps that lead to this.
They're less so proper "institutions" and more so well greased "political machines," American political system is built on corruption and maintaining power, not ideals. They'll take it slow if that's what the party leaders want or if it means getting another well paying term in office.
unless it really is some absurd 'let republicans make abortion legal so we can beat them in the next election' rhetoric, but again if the dems are willing to let half their voterbase potentially lose a right for several years all to win at politics then they're still just pretending to care for the cause.
They may care about the cause, but they are attempting to strategically go about this during in election year in a desperate attempt to maintain some sort of power over congress and governor races. They know they have nothing else they can run on with how bad the economy is, so they are making empty promises to do something about the ruling after the election, it's a rather selfish strategy that comes at the detriment of pro-choicers.
And if they control all institutions, how did this happen?
The Supreme Court is just about the only exception that matters. Again outside of government, even they have a firm grip on cultural institutions, which is far more effective at conditioning (or polarizing) the population. And I'd argue the cultural institutions are far more genuine in their leftist social ideology than the Democrats holding office in the government.

Virtual Cafe Awards

cybercola

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
That's not how the Supreme Court works. The Supreme Court is mostly independent, but still based on POTUS backed picks, therefore not directly elected. While the POTUS who appoints them is elected by vote, the appointment of justices is still somewhat removed from the executive branch and other institutions because the circumstances which open up seats on the SCOTUS is somewhat random (from retirements, to the unexpected death of a sitting justice.) It's basically RNG to an extent.
So what, it's just luck that this ruling happened? No responsibility from the lack of effort on the dems part to prevent it happening (which they totally could've)? The dems are responsible in part for just laying down and not bothering to try and prevent this, if they genuinely didn't want this to happen. Give them some credit at least!
They're less so proper "institutions" and more so well greased "political machines," American political system is built on corruption and maintaining power, not ideals. They'll take it slow if that's what the party leaders want or if it means getting another well paying term in office.
They may care about the cause, but they are attempting to strategically go about this during in election year in a desperate attempt to maintain some sort of power over congress and governor races. They know they have nothing else they can run on with how bad the economy is, so they are making empty promises to do something about the ruling after the election, it's a rather selfish strategy that comes at the detriment of pro-choicers.
Empty promises and doing things at the detriment of people they supposedly share values with does sound awfully like they don't actually care about the cause. Which is what you're saying, yes, but that still doesnt mean the nebulous entity of 'The Left' is running the show, more a bunch of power-mad morally apathetic politicians trying to wring every last year of rule out of their waning lifespan, public be damned. Not quite the same as spooky leftism.

The Supreme Court is just about the only exception that matters. Again outside of government, even they have a firm grip on cultural institutions, which is far more effective at conditioning (or polarizing) the population. And I'd argue the cultural institutions are far more genuine in their leftist social ideology than the Democrats holding office in the government.
Even if all public opinion is swayed by cultural institutions, what does it matter if the general public has no say on things? If 75% of people (random figure) believe abortion should not be illegal, whether independently or because disney mindwashed them, what's their recourse now? Protest? Riot? has that ever actually worked in recent memory? I guess mindwashing people to want to vote for ideals the democrats run on ties in with this potentially all being for future election purposes but makes you wonder why not just subliminally flash VOTE DEM over this incredibly convoluted 4d chess move. Just seems very inefficient

Virtual Cafe Awards