How to Revitalize the Internet

xXzoomerXx

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
TL;DR? Read The Black Highlights
Central Points from this thread.
  1. Decentralize the internet (Host Websites, DIY, No Central Servers)
  2. Disincentive Disingenuous Content (Monetary Gain, Advertising, Interaction/Engagement Farming)
  3. Encourage Communities (More organic trends, Real Relationships, Meaningful Interactions, Like Minded People)
  4. Redpill Normies (Change the mindset of people and tech companies will fold, Y2k Aesthetic, Art Brings people together, Absorb Newcomers)
  5. Minimize web browsers (Web Surfing, Page Threads)

Virtual Cafe Awards

TRXTR

Classified Personnel Only Past This Point
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
krowznezt.net
This is an off the cuff idea so bear with me; what if there were more apps that forced or encouraged you to engage with the real world? a la Pokemon Go. I didn't even play Pokemon Go and people would come up and ask if I was the one in their gym, etc. etc.. Encouraged interaction with real, physical life.
Reminds me of this relic:

View: https://youtu.be/AT9ho2G0N_Y

I'm imagining a real-time map with broadcasts and posts viewable where people post them, if enabled, or otherwise a "city center" feed, or neighborhood feeds.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kaleidophilia

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
What kind of things would you do on a better internet? How would you spend your time? What do you want out of it that isn't provided ordinarily?

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
+1 to this idea, and also have easy quoting/transposing from other independent sites so we can really talk with each other well. i think reshare + comment is an underrated feature that's been sadly twisted into just another way of dunking...instead of taking a comment out of context, take a comment and scaffold newer, better context around it...oops, there i go.

lots of talk about decentralization in the thread. i do think that's the way to go, but in the case of Mastodon specifically, their federation is something of a middle ground between pure distributed decentralization, and centralization. people sign up for instances, and they're "dialed into" that instance. so while they can communicate with any other individual and/or server that's federated, they're still reliant on the admins and maintainers of that instance. on the other hand, Mastodon makes it pretty easy to move to a new instance, so maybe you can host a personal instance in the future if you want more control? :)

View attachment 9046
i remember at the start of mastodon a couple of the federations were extremely dominant. mastodon.technology in particular seemed to be what mastodon actually was going to primarily become. the size of that single instance grew rapidly and all searches for any instances put them at the top in addition to returning their hyperlink multiple times in the search results.

then the admins of that instance censored all content very heavily. many people moved to their own instance or to another one someone else had started, and mastodon became more distributed. I switched instances not because i was booted but just to be part of the exodus. My content stream stayed more or less the same and mastodon worked almost exactly as it should have.

but here's the thing. mastodon sucks. it doesn't suck because its not as good as twitter it sucks because it is as good as twiiter. it provides the same meta-social data stream for encouraging hyper-sociality that any of the huge social media sites provide. the interactivity is the same, the pacing is the same, even the aesthetics are the same. the only thing that changes is the content.

honestly, as far as i am concerned, all of the hyper social world can stay right where it is. i have absolutely no desire for it in my life. more interesting to me is the restructuring of interactivity and pacing, even aesthetics play what is likely a larger role in my judgement .

The pacing of the world itself seems far beyond me. Maybe that means I am a relic but it really feels like a more universal experience than most want to admit. I just don't understand how it can be expected of anyone to keep up with current trends of politics, society, technology. Covid itself is the merging of physical reality with the internet of memes. My local laws change at a pace i don't understand. Some groups of friends expect i wear a mask and others expect that i refuse to wear a mask. Frequently i am in the dark. money shows up randomly in my bank account. that's nice i guess. i think at a few points last year there was a local curfew, but also maybe not. i have no clue. this is just my physical reality. society changes at a pace much quicker. language no longer evolves it transmutes. the trans cashier at my local co-op always, and i mean always, refers to me as "man". i wear no tag with my pronouns.

the threads i post to 4chan or >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk disappear almost instantly into the oblivion of data to be further analyzed by Lord Elon's future AIs in order to provide us with an optimal Actual Reality. if they are hyped for an instant they linger a bit longer but never last more than 24 hours, and i mean never. This is the pace hyper society sets. One day is an eternity, one hour lingers longer than it should, we must be careful with our minutes not to make mistakes, and what we do this second ripples into eternity. It is a damnable pace to live at where the instant effects our entire life but we haven't got the mental space to enjoy a week as a singular space in time let alone a month.

This effects our interaction also, and it isn't the individuals that we can blame per se. We live in a world of ripples and if you arent riding at least one of their crests you wont see any of the hypersocial world around you. The news is like the longest television series ever. The current trends fit within a larger context of hyper-society. The language changes, the news is indecipherable. nobody can think three seconds out, there is no great meme of reflection.

It leaves no time to experience a real moment. but underwater, under the surface, life is still. you can float in meditation. you can gather kelp. the pace varies. most of the time you can look and see the things you have done, or made. you can peek up at the surface, you can see the battle ships floating, people bleeding on rafts, all of the carnage of war. if you need to you can dive deeper. but from down here redistributing the surface area seems rather undesirable.

underwater is the internet you are experiencing right now, and it is fantastic precisely because of the quality of existing beneath the ripples. it provides no means to navigate the tough waters. it isnt a new fancy ship. it does not seek to redistribute ownership of the sea. you get to look and take part at a pacing you choose. you can even choose to swim up if you want, and you have a pretty good schematic of whats going on. you can grab pieces of debris floating at the surface and build fantastic cities. you can use it to make art or music. you can share that creation with others that are submerged. the chaos on the surface even begins to serve as a sieve to filter those too enamored with the spectacle of hyper-society out.

This particular quality of being submerged makes the internet we have now better than ever. forums such as this exist at a pace that makes sense, at least to me. they have an aesthetic that i like. the interaction is one of quality. threads linger. you can think about content meaningfully and grow yourself from it. you can respond after real thought. you can read the real input others contribute. I can still find the thread i was reading from a week ago easily. I can find the one that brought me here to lurk still, and that is months old i believe.

i hope that others realize this also. reworking the surface might be important but that is not being neglected. most people are on the surface, and a large percentage of them are working that out. pacing is neglected, aesthetics are neglected(or manipulated), and interactivity is almost completely ignored even down here where they actually exist. It would be great to see those qualities evolve, I am sure there are other important things also but that is what i can think of right now

Virtual Cafe Awards

MorphedSnowman

Sperglord
Reaction score
Awards
What kind of things would you do on a better internet? How would you spend your time? What do you want out of it that isn't provided ordinarily?
Just explore and hopefully make some stuff that would be made on there. I was recently reading a book from David Graeber, who was an anarchist anthropologist, and there was a piece in it that kinda summed up the modern internet for me.

"One might imagine that leaving millions of well-educated young men and women without any real work responsibilities but with access to the internet—which is, potentially, at least, a repository of almost all human knowledge and cultural achievement—might spark some sort of Renaissance. Nothing remotely along these lines has taken place. Instead, the situation has sparked an efflorescence of social media (Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter): basically, of forms of electronic media that lend themselves to being produced and consumed while pretending to do something else. I am convinced this is the primary reason for the rise of social media, especially when one considers it in the light not just of the rise of bullshit jobs but also of the increasing bullshitization of real jobs."

I think this kinda sums it up. Technically we should be seeing things that were inmaginable pop up every few years. Yet with the modern internet and it's statistically driven filtering, you pretty much are guaranteed for everything to be repetition of the past with a tiny bit of alteration. Usually too just complete bullshit noise that doesn't go nowhere because everything is spammed with bots who work in the same way these filtering algorithms work.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3373

I personally believe in promoting algorithm free internet. Start a network of sites which don't rely on an algorithm to generate content or recommendations. That is the most crucial means to bringing the internet back to life.

Still a Youth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I honestly think this
I personally believe in promoting algorithm free internet. Start a network of sites which don't rely on an algorithm to generate content or recommendations. That is the most crucial means to bringing the internet back to life.
might be it

Virtual Cafe Awards

inverse_square_matrix

Citizen of the Internet
Reaction score
Awards
Website
inversesquarematrix.neocities.org
My vacations started today so I will add little idea here based on my last month of work:
BAN JAVASCRIPT FRONTEND FRAMEWORKS

Virtual Cafe Awards

inverse_square_matrix

Citizen of the Internet
Reaction score
Awards
Website
inversesquarematrix.neocities.org
As a noob, can I ask why?
Well, my post was a joke, but I posted it because nowadays people have a tendency to use those complex frameworks for every single thing they do, even if it's just a simple form or static website. Some of our dev teams even created an entire Angular project for a single help page with static text.
Long gone are the days when vanilla JavaScript was inconsistent and lacked features. Nowadays you can quickly create small to medium sized applications using pure JS without reinventing the wheel.

Virtual Cafe Awards

the-dude-abides

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
We can start by removing 90% of internet users
After that, remove most websites
Basically, we'd have to rebuild everything from scratch
"The internet is dead, and we're the ghosts haunting the graveyard. God that's depressing" -Mister Metokur
the dead internet theory isnt true but it feels like it could be somtimes

Virtual Cafe Awards

m15o

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I see a lot of you are interested in Gemini, and couldn't agree more: it's an awesome protocol. If you haven't explored it yet, go ahead and download the Lagrange browser. Point it to gemini://warmedal.se/~antenna/ and start discovering "capsules".

The "small net" (I'm including Gemini, but also Gopher and the some parts of the Web) works well because it feels human. It's not a social network yet it's deeply social. I think it's because of 3 components: homepages, feeds and email. A homepage is like a profile on traditional social media. Feeds allow anyone to subscribe, and emails are a way to comment. I think we've got all the ingredients already!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
rather have an oligopoly than a monopoly :hspin:
Except we still have monopolies. Each of those companies operates in a different sector of the economy. Facebook doesn't compete with Amazon in the way it competes with Twitter. It's like saying we have an oligopoly in the infotech market between att and coca-cola. They're different sectors.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Talon

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
We don't need to fix it. Keeping normies on normie-space is where they should remain.

We need a new internet for everyone else.
I also like the idea of social media sites like Facebook acting as containment units for normies who are only interested in bragging about their vacactions and spamming everyone with their new baby photos. Completely stripped down and sanatized for the masses, much like how mainstream media operates. The big social media sites can be like episodes of Desperate Housewives and local news for them, while places like this can act like the bootleg VHS tapes for people who are looking for something more edgy, interesting or exciting in some way.

Virtual Cafe Awards