SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Holy. HD Twin Towers feel so CGI... It looks so surreal, like some time-traveling stuff... What was the technology like to get HD video back in the 90s? Or am I not getting this right and these videos are HD restorations of older footage? I'm a real noob when it comes to technology sadly.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Holy. HD Twin Towers feel so CGI... It looks so surreal, like some time-traveling stuff... What was the technology like to get HD video back in the 90s? Or am I not getting this right and these videos are HD restorations of older footage? I'm a real noob when it comes to technology sadly.

Thank you so much for sharing this.
To my understanding it's early tests with actual HD quality footage. The videos posted from the Reely Interesting YouTube channel all have pretty descriptive breakdowns of both the videos and formats. Here's a few excerpts:
The HDVS disc format was designed to be a highly portable 12" laserdisc-derived media format for Sony's "High-Definition Video System" or "Hi-Vision" back in the early 1990's! Back then, high definition was a little different from how it is now. It was analog (not digital) & close to but slightly different in resolution to the 1080i picture we receive over the air today as it was technically 1125i/1035i. [...] These HDVS discs could only hold a maximum of 15 minutes of video (on CLV discs, even less on CAV discs)...but it held uncompressed, raw high-definition component video! Take that, Blu-Ray!
For those wondering what HD video camera tech existed in 1993 - there are a few options, but it's likely that this footage was shot with a HDVS camera- perhaps a Sony SONY HDC-500 attached to a HDV-10 portable recorder which recorded on UniHi 3/4" tape.
Perhaps there's a technoan video or something along those lines that explain it a bit better, preferably I aim for this thread to be original recordings rather than those AI upscaled/restored clips.

Virtual Cafe Awards