Hypnospace Outlaw

RavOaks

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
So has anyone heard of this game called Hypnospace Outlaw?

If you don't know what it is, HSO is basically an alternate universe imagining of the internet at the end of the 90s and the beginning of the new millennium. The game is actually a pretty good puzzle and detective mystery, but the simulation is the best part. It is both familiar and yet really strange all at once and I love it. I have played the game through Xbox Game Pass, but I want to buy it sometime for the small modding community that has grown up around HSO.

In spite of the fact that I can not speak from experience about the accuracy of the simulated internet in Hypnospace Outlaw, the amount of work that went into it is nevertheless very impressive. The game is a love letter to the so-called wild west days of the net and I think it is something everybody should experience at least once. Special mention has to go out to work on the music and the creation of multiple fictional genres to flesh out the alternate universe, the two standout examples being Coolpunk and Haze.

Attachments

• PKcR26.png
    PKcR26.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,860
Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

Hypnospace Outlaw is really cool, I really need to finish it too. The storyline is good and from what I've seen it's a really nice recreation of retro internet but with its own personal spin on things

I think it also doesn't have a lot of hardware requirements which is always nice

ketracel 白

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I just finished it the other day on Switch. It's definitely worth the $/time investment if you're into internet nostalgia, the story really takes an interesting turn.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa

zach

A Man From Maun.
Reaction score
Awards
Special mention has to go out to work on the music and the creation of multiple fictional genres to flesh out the alternate universe, the two standout examples being Coolpunk and Haze.
Yeah, the music in this game is surprisingly good! You just have to progress past all the uh, coolpunk garbage. :CokeMan:

Virtual Cafe Awards

TamagoSuki

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Awesome bump, the more people who see this game the better! Forget the haters, remember Coolfest '99!

Virtual Cafe Awards

ScubaTank

Maker of Weird-Ass Games
Reaction score
Awards
Website
scubatank.itch.io
I bring this game up to pretty much everyone I know because I like it so much. One of my favourite games of the last couple of years for sure (and I'm super picky about games). Give it a shot if you havent.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shrug

Hipster Doofus
Reaction score
Awards
I really want to enjoy this game, but I always lose interest in it pretty quickly. I like exploring the web in it, but the actual gameplay doesn't really keep my attention. I was finally progressing in it last time I played but the viruses you can get gave me an actual headache and I quit.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Me too. I played the demo and convinced me to buy it.
I'm playing the demo now, I want to download it but I'm in the middle of a few games with Doki doki literature club on its way in the post lol
The gameplay is a little confusing but I like how its a sim

Virtual Cafe Awards

jaedaen

Stay a while, and listen.
Reaction score
Awards
I have to shamelessly necro this thread. This was a beautiful love letter to an old snapshot of the internet, long since dead. I was immediately reminded of this game upon joining this forum. Play It!

Virtual Cafe Awards

SpheralBloom

I'm not a femboy I swear
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
This game is just awesome
Even tho I'm a younger person, I felt a lot of nostalgic melancholy when I played it
The music is really addicting too. We need to turn coolpunk into a real thing I swear. Also Fre3zer is hot~
The dev of that game is making a sequel, DreamSettler, and supposedly its based on early 2000s internet culture. Considering how Hypnospace made me feel, I have no idea what this game is gonna do to me lol
Anyway 10/10 ign a little something for everyone also the last of us 3 sucks ass

Virtual Cafe Awards