Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for bringing back my nightmares.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Mamisu

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This reminded me of that video of the Asian guy eating soup with two guys with masks on behind him

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Hey hey hey, I've got AIDS

Virtual Cafe Awards

LiquidOFresco

Do as I say, Not as I Do
Reaction score
Awards
This reminded me of that video of the Asian guy eating soup with two guys with masks on behind him
oh yeah i remember that, i also remember people talking about how they kidnapped that guy and they are feeding him his wife and daughter but it was pretty funny seeing people believing that

Virtual Cafe Awards

thareddriver

Future youtube superstar in the making.
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
This is the sort of gem you just can't seem to get out of modern internet. 2000-2012 Internet was really something special. I'm sure there are videos out there explaining the lore behind 'I feel fantastic', but I sort of like to keep the mystery open in my mind. Nowadays people enjoy ARG, but I can't get into them, they feel too fake to me. They feel 'over written'. The amount of lore that goes behind these projects just detaches me from the immersion I'm supposed to get from them, because of how much they rely on narrative, I can't escape the feeling that it is fiction and not the 'alternative reality' the narrative game is promising me. I'm not suggesting these are bad by any means. I just can't get into them.

Back to I Feel Fantastic, what I love about it is how displaced it feels from any context. It makes it unknown, and as the common cliche goes, we fear what we can't understand. If someone tried this nowadays, it would take a few weeks for people to figure out the source of the android, or there would be huge background lore explaining every frame of the video and how it relates to some philosophical concept or whatever. I suspect out there there's the answer to the reason for the video, but because of the nature of the pre-2015 internet, it took long enough to figure out for organic, fan-made lore to be built around the video. I can't think of any recent examples of such a phenomenon, perhaps something like the Backrooms could be close, but it feels over-produced, even if that product was organic.

Lol, I'm sounding like a nostalgist. I'm just saying I don't think we'll see anything similar to early internet creepy videos.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Thereal

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This is the sort of gem you just can't seem to get out of modern internet. 2000-2012 Internet was really something special. I'm sure there are videos out there explaining the lore behind 'I feel fantastic', but I sort of like to keep the mystery open in my mind. Nowadays people enjoy ARG, but I can't get into them, they feel too fake to me. They feel 'over written'. The amount of lore that goes behind these projects just detaches me from the immersion I'm supposed to get from them, because of how much they rely on narrative, I can't escape the feeling that it is fiction and not the 'alternative reality' the narrative game is promising me. I'm not suggesting these are bad by any means. I just can't get into them.

Back to I Feel Fantastic, what I love about it is how displaced it feels from any context. It makes it unknown, and as the common cliche goes, we fear what we can't understand. If someone tried this nowadays, it would take a few weeks for people to figure out the source of the android, or there would be huge background lore explaining every frame of the video and how it relates to some philosophical concept or whatever. I suspect out there there's the answer to the reason for the video, but because of the nature of the pre-2015 internet, it took long enough to figure out for organic, fan-made lore to be built around the video. I can't think of any recent examples of such a phenomenon, perhaps something like the Backrooms could be close, but it feels over-produced, even if that product was organic.

Lol, I'm sounding like a nostalgist. I'm just saying I don't think we'll see anything similar to early internet creepy videos.
Agreed. ARGs and most horror these days in general seem more interested in telling some deep lore than actually delivering anything remotely scary. I blame FnaF

Virtual Cafe Awards
Those suits were stolen from some performing group, and this video was from a couple months after they vanished. They're called "RayRays", and the artist behinds them claims no connection to the video. Could be a weird attempt at an ARG, but the video's from 2005, and I think that's the only one.
it's the first out of three videos and was a promo for a band they were collabing with, the other videos have them kidnap the band members

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

I think what makes Tara the android so great is that as far as anybody can tell, it's legit.
It doesn't appear to have ever been related to an ARG, an intentional attempt to go viral, performance art, or anything else. It is authentic weirdness.
ARGs and intentional weirdness just can't truly recreate that authenticity, similar to how intentionally bad movies are never as funny as unintentionally bad ones.

---

Anyways, If you do some digging you find that most of the clips of Tara are from a DVD you could order from an android enthusiast website, made by a guy name John Bergeron. The files on the DVD are from 5 years before anybody ever uploaded any clips to youtube. The full video is about 16 min long. It seems to be a weird android enthusiast who made himself a weird android. That's where most people stop digging.

If you dig further, it starts to get into that sad/delusional/schizo territory.
Seems this guy earnestly thought he was going to sell these things to amusement parks or for entertainment / parties.
He saw the music his videos as a cool tech demo, not horrifying uncanny valley shit.

Here's some archives from his old geocities page:

There's also a comment which appeared on a Medium article about the Tara videos where someone claimed to know John Bergeron, he retired from IBM in 95', and died unexpectedly in 2005. There is no evidence to confirm or deny this claim.

The intentionally weird videos, like Tara biting off the finger, didn't show up until much later. After he was supposedly dead. And nobody is quite sure where they came from. Personally I think that her face looks really ratty and old in those videos. I suppose it's possible when John's old android video went viral on youtube whoever was in possession of Tara could have dug her out and tried to join in the fun.

---

Now as to whether John Bergeron was a serial killer who dressed his creepy android in the clothes of his victims.
Or if he made Tara to replace his dead wife or a woman he was obsessed with. Well that's left for you to decide.

Why did he zoom in on that spot in the back yard?
What's back there?

Virtual Cafe Awards