I Fucking Hate Movie Trailers

Reaction score
Awards
I feel like every single trailer these days is hell bent on blowing all the plot twists, good jokes, cool surprises and anything else I should like about the Movie. I will sometimes leave a trailer feeling like I have just watch the highlight reel; leaving nothing but the benign in between stuff to entice me. As a result I will straight up cover my ears, close my eyes, or leave the movie theatre or change the channel to avoid these marketing spoiler missiles being shot at me in every form of media there is.

Anyone else getting sick of this bullshit?
see bird box GIF

Virtual Cafe Awards

0ur0b0r0s

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I really like movies; I've watched a lot of them. I don't want to be a debbie downer here or fail to address your statement but personally:
Theatre, commercials, current movie industry = sux
The movie industry largely died around 2012 (Mayans were right). It seems mostly like repackaged corporate propaganda that only rely on merchandising and the ability to be made into franchises at this point (see link). Things like Netflix, other services funding less massive productions is pretty cool too but you can be sure approval for these movies is based on Netflix's, other services' beliefs and convictions.
By missing the newest movie, in my opinion, you're not missing much no matter what the commercial gives away. There are a bunch of good movies made 10-50 years prior that are awesome and full of unique aesthetics, things to mentally chew on, and you won't see any commercial spoilers for them.
In short, I'm sick of current movie industry bullshit period so I agree with you on some level there.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Dumbest thing about trailers these days (especially online) is the stupid-ass five-second trailer for the trailer that plays first so they can still squeeze in something before you hit the skip button.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Go with friends dawg.
Or just go alone.
I've stopped watching movies in theaters like a normie. It's a subpar experience.
Depends on the movie. Some are made for the big screen and benefit from it. Mad Max Fury road as an example hits better on the big screen and booming sound system.
Basically everything where visuals are the main focus.
But yeah, many others don't really benefit from a cinema environment and are better enjoyed at home on a comfy couch. Horror movies in particular are best enjoyed alone in the dark.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3981

I also hate trailers, since they ruin a lot of the surprise. Then again, a lot of the trailers are for big budget marvel movies, so it's not like it ruins anything for me.

1647355823342.png

"It can't be, is that who I think it is?"
1647355975855.png

"Things just got... out of hand"

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Same reason for hating video game trailers because they spoil things, the actual game is different than e3 build version mainly in graphics, the overhype which destroys the game development and doesn't take its time to develop like Cyberpunk 2077 by the pressure, more money wasted on advertising than actual job.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kriko313

I don't watch live action stuff anymore, but trailers in general are usually bad. They just feel after thoughts.
I like it when they try something different with them. For example the Terminator 2 teaser when they build the terminator is pretty cool and hype worthy.
The original Matrix movies in general had good trailers and I liked the TV spots of The Phantom Menace where there were different characters telling their part in the story.

What is this the 90s. I have a projector.
Why yes, it's 1999. Why do you ask?

SEVEN

angry little manlet
Reaction score
Awards
The Cowboy Bebop Netflix thing had great trailers actually. I mean, you could tell it probably was gonna be shit, but they tried to do something unique with the trailers at the very least. The one was just the intro, then that short film that was just the characters in a fight scene completely unrelated to the plot. Thats how marketing ought to be. If the product was good, those would have been amazing trailers. Such a shame they butchered my favorite show. But, what did I expect, lmao?