i have an old gameboy color and 20$ what games should i get for it?

NanoraJuice

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Power Quest is one of those hidden gems
Z.png

• Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa

mrfuji

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
get an emulator for your computer and you can get games for free

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
ゲームボーイカラーには楽しいゲームがたくさんあります。スーパーマリオブラザーズデラックスをお勧めします。それはマリオフランチャイズの過小評価されたエントリであり、それにはたくさんの楽しいメカニズムがあります

Virtual Cafe Awards

QDBuckwheat

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
If you're looking for cheap/budget games that are fun, I highly recommend Mario Tennis on the GBC. It's probably my favorite tennis game to play, and it's got a fun story mode with a level up style upgrade system. You can customize your character's play style in a few ways as you level up and go through the different leagues.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

Im not even sure what games GBC has that are worh playing....link's awakening DX...gen 2 pokemon is cool...but outside of those I don't even know wtf there is

QDBuckwheat

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Im not even sure what games GBC has that are worh playing....link's awakening DX...gen 2 pokemon is cool...but outside of those I don't even know wtf there is
There's a ton of pretty great GBC games. I'd recommend checking out the GBC Shantae game, but even the Limited Run Games reprint of it is pretty high up in price already. The Bomberman MAX games are a blast. Kirby's Tilt N Tumble is fun. The Zelda Oracle games are probably my favorites in the series.

Virtual Cafe Awards

tracid04

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Sell your gameboy and buy a Windows XP PC and download loads of abandonware games and emulators. Far more bang for your buck.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

There's a ton of pretty great GBC games. I'd recommend checking out the GBC Shantae game, but even the Limited Run Games reprint of it is pretty high up in price already. The Bomberman MAX games are a blast. Kirby's Tilt N Tumble is fun. The Zelda Oracle games are probably my favorites in the series.
I forogt about the oracle games. I guess most of the GBC games I've played, like oracle games, were emulated so they don't stick in my brain as GB titles because I never played them on a gameboy

QDBuckwheat

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I forogt about the oracle games. I guess most of the GBC games I've played, like oracle games, were emulated so they don't stick in my brain as GB titles because I never played them on a gameboy
Ah, if you're going to go the emulation route (or you're huge into playing stuff on original hardware, and got a flashcart) Pokemon Prism is an absolute must play if you like pokemon. It's hands down better than any of the pokemon games that have come out in recent years. It's an amazing rom hack and I need to get around to finishing the post game content sometime.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

Ah, if you're going to go the emulation route (or you're huge into playing stuff on original hardware, and got a flashcart) Pokemon Prism is an absolute must play if you like pokemon. It's hands down better than any of the pokemon games that have come out in recent years. It's an amazing rom hack and I need to get around to finishing the post game content sometime
I think I might actually hate Pokemon. I beat it when I was a kid, but since, I just get so bored. I can't stand random battles in any game

QDBuckwheat

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I think I might actually hate Pokemon. I beat it when I was a kid, but since, I just get so bored. I can't stand random battles in any game
I can understand dislike for random encounters. For me, how a game uses its encounter system makes or break the rpg experience. I think random encounters work better in pokemon given part of the thrill is finding new or rare pokemon to catch and add to the team Seeing them on the overworld doesn't really throw so much surprise since you just see what's in the area pretty quickly and lose that bigger surprise value. There's also items in the games to pretty much eliminate wild battles allowing you to just go on and explore and focus on trainer battles.
Now, if we're talking like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy where I just want to get where I'm going, and I'm already at a high level, yeah. Random encounters suck. Give me enemies on screen I can rush past/avoid lol. Overworld encounters can also be a blessing in more grindy games. I don't have to walk around aimlessly waiting for the encounter rate to bless me the one time I'm looking for a fight.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

I can understand dislike for random encounters. For me, how a game uses its encounter system makes or break the rpg experience. I think random encounters work better in pokemon given part of the thrill is finding new or rare pokemon to catch and add to the team Seeing them on the overworld doesn't really throw so much surprise since you just see what's in the area pretty quickly and lose that bigger surprise value. There's also items in the games to pretty much eliminate wild battles allowing you to just go on and explore and focus on trainer battles.
Now, if we're talking like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy where I just want to get where I'm going, and I'm already at a high level, yeah. Random encounters suck. Give me enemies on screen I can rush past/avoid lol. Overworld encounters can also be a blessing in more grindy games. I don't have to walk around aimlessly waiting for the encounter rate to bless me the one time I'm looking for a fight.
maybe it's just the era I grew up in. but all the "what's gonna be in this encounter" has lost a lot of it's sparkle for me. granted, when I was 8 and playing Pokemon Red on my lime green gameboy color in the back room of my dad's store back in the golden 90s I loved the mystery.

but now it's all so formulaic. nowadays, in general, no matter what game I'm playing, I like to progress and I've always felt random encounters are just a time sink keeping me from seeing the next cool locale, character, boss, dungeon, item, etc

I can't even finish final fantasy 6 because of this. the story is all like "oh fuck yeah, adventure" and then you get out there and it's a stupid random battle every 20 steps. I mean, initially seeing a new Pokemon or monster or whatever is cool, but after the 3rd mummy guy or caterpie, I'm over it tbh

the only game I've ever been into with turn based combat was earthbound, mother 3 and chrono trigger