I want to go on an adventure

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I live alone, was on a teaching course but dropped out due to high pressure and realising I have to act like a robot whilst encouraging students to behave like one too.
Been working warehouse job for a month now, only motivation is that it's good exercise but really it sucks. Losing track of the days, trying to get reading in and being awkwardly quiet because I haven't learnt to take enough conversational risks (and most people there are silent too).

I'm thinking in a couple weeks I just quit and go walking. Bring a bag with some clothes, toothbrush, maybe spare shoes and a sleeping bag strapped to the bag. Try to actually see fun stuff, take risks, get traumatised, learn to deal with life. I'm tired of living a meaningless life working to afford a flat I don't really care to work for. I want to find places to sleep and lower my standards of what is required to be comfortable.

I want life experience. I'm so tired of living a life I don't want.

Writing this is a way of confirming to myself and I wanted to know if anyone has anything they think I should know.

Virtual Cafe Awards

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
as much as it sucks you should probably try and see if this life style is for you before making any permanent decisions, dont do anything you may regret
I still have my flat until September so that's fine

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Go and get a TEFL certificate, and teach English abroad or something, that will let you travel for sure.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Sounds like something that could really get your passion going. Sounds like a lot of fun too. Just make sure you bring plenty of water with you when you first set out. You can last a lot longer without food than water.

Where are you hoping to go? And are you going to do any traveling via train/boat/bus?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3373

I'm planning on doing something similar. I've gathered up a grand to go across Europe with. I don't care if it bankrupts me or not, it'll be worth it.

SEVEN

angry little manlet
Reaction score
Awards
I've traveled a few times on my motorcycle. lots of good times. I've always considered leaving it all behind and just living on my bike.

whats preventing me now is that I have a good job right now that I really like for the most part, but of course like every job it has its share of flaws. but unlike every other job I've had in the past I actually have a chance to make this into a real career in the future and it isnt just full of meaningless unfulfilled promises. so Im sticking with it for the time being.

living like that isnt all bad, but you'll still need money in order to eat and probably maintain a phone for use as a map, keeping contacts with people because as you travel its always a good idea to make friends thatcan help you along the way and possibly provide a place to sleep on occasion, and of course so you can feed your crippling internet addiction. so get good at finding odd jobs.

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I've traveled a few times on my motorcycle. lots of good times. I've always considered leaving it all behind and just living on my bike.

whats preventing me now is that I have a good job right now that I really like for the most part, but of course like every job it has its share of flaws. but unlike every other job I've had in the past I actually have a chance to make this into a real career in the future and it isnt just full of meaningless unfulfilled promises. so Im sticking with it for the time being.

living like that isnt all bad, but you'll still need money in order to eat and probably maintain a phone for use as a map, keeping contacts with people because as you travel its always a good idea to make friends thatcan help you along the way and possibly provide a place to sleep on occasion, and of course so you can feed your crippling internet addiction. so get good at finding odd jobs.
This is all really good advice. I'd really advise on learning how to read actual maps as well. I've spent a lot of time hunting out in the wilderness, especially before phone gps was as common as it is now, and the ability to use and read maps has always come in handy. They're a lot cheaper than phone gps, too.

Virtual Cafe Awards

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I feel like everyone has given this a lot more hype than it deserves. Honestly I don't know where or what. I live in the UK and there's a long road towards Bristol so I was thinking maybe start by going down there and seeing if anything takes my fancy or I just spend a few days down that path.

I know how to make fires, done with friends, so could do cooking in parks that way. Although I'm not really sure about storing food, maybe just have to stick to majority tinned foods and then for special occasions something nicer, otherwise it'll be quite expensive.

If you don't mind saying what's your job. I'm curious to know.
And also part of it is an escape from the internet addiction. I feel like it's quite hard to escape it when I have to use my phone to confirm shifts and the job seems to have a million and one issues, on that though I can still be doing a lot better. I'll take my phone with me but I think I'm going to have it off for a lot of the time, but see what happens. Not sure how well I'll do at making friends
Go and get a TEFL certificate, and teach English abroad or something, that will let you travel for sure.
Honestly just want to escape work, at least for a bit. I'm tired of having to think about what I need to do for later so much.
This is all really good advice. I'd really advise on learning how to read actual maps as well. I've spent a lot of time hunting out in the wilderness, especially before phone gps was as common as it is now, and the ability to use and read maps has always come in handy. They're a lot cheaper than phone gps, too.
I vaguely know how to from when I did Duke of Edinburgh award when I was 14, turns out a compass is very useful. That was almost 7 years ago now though so guess I've forgotten some. Got any advise on getting food that isn't store bought then?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I vaguely know how to from when I did Duke of Edinburgh award when I was 14, turns out a compass is very useful. That was almost 7 years ago now though so guess I've forgotten some. Got any advise on getting food that isn't store bought then?
Oh hey, very nice to hear. Compass has to be one of the greatest tools ever invented.

Here's the short of it: If you're in an area you can hunt, get food from hunting. Killing an animal and cooking it will almost always be safer than any foraging you do.
If you have to forage, don't be afraid. You can eat most anything in nature. Doesn't mean it'll do much for you, but don't be afraid to eat it. I highly, highly suggest you get some sort of manual on edible flora you can carry with yourself to use for reference. The trick to not dying of sickness from when you try a new or unrecognizable piece of flora is this:
- Try a very, very small amount. Like a single small bite. 99% of plants aren't potent enough to kill you from that. Wait a few hours. You might get really hungry, but you can last a couple weeks on basically no food. If you don't get sick from it after about 12 hours, probably pretty safe. Try a larger portion. Do that until you can eat a fairly good size portion of it and don't get sick and its most likely safe to eat.

Of course, my understanding comes from survival situations, not necessarily everyday use sort of stuff. So, obviously this is a bit extreme, but it is effective. Anyways, that's why I suggest getting a manual on edible flora, makes life a lot easier.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SEVEN

angry little manlet
Reaction score
Awards
I feel like everyone has given this a lot more hype than it deserves. Honestly I don't know where or what. I live in the UK and there's a long road towards Bristol so I was thinking maybe start by going down there and seeing if anything takes my fancy or I just spend a few days down that path.

I know how to make fires, done with friends, so could do cooking in parks that way. Although I'm not really sure about storing food, maybe just have to stick to majority tinned foods and then for special occasions something nicer, otherwise it'll be quite expensive.

If you don't mind saying what's your job. I'm curious to know.
And also part of it is an escape from the internet addiction. I feel like it's quite hard to escape it when I have to use my phone to confirm shifts and the job seems to have a million and one issues, on that though I can still be doing a lot better. I'll take my phone with me but I think I'm going to have it off for a lot of the time, but see what happens. Not sure how well I'll do at making friends

Honestly just want to escape work, at least for a bit. I'm tired of having to think about what I need to do for later so much.

Im an apprentice boiler mechanic. not unionized, thank god, just me and the bossman whose done this job his whole life.

As for food, making fire is a fine skill but it wont do you any good if you have no food to cook unless you intend to hunt animals in said park lmao. I have no idea what youre current diet is like, but if its typical of most people in the modern age I think you'll find that you really dont need as much food as people claim. still, being on foot might make it a bit difficult to carry whats required still.

when on my trips I had a big family sized jar of peanut butter, some granola bars, and canned sardines (I like them myself but they are an acquired taste. really healthy though). I usually ate 1 granola bar and some kind of fruit for breakfast (but of course you cant bring too much fruit with you, non perishables are essential. you'll be able to bring some to get started but will have to buy some at some point), had sardines for lunch, then had 3 to 4 spoonfuls of peanut butter for dinner. kept me going just fine. of course I was riding a motorcycle, if you are on foot some additional calories might not hurt.

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Oh hey, very nice to hear. Compass has to be one of the greatest tools ever invented.

Here's the short of it: If you're in an area you can hunt, get food from hunting. Killing an animal and cooking it will almost always be safer than any foraging you do.
If you have to forage, don't be afraid. You can eat most anything in nature. Doesn't mean it'll do much for you, but don't be afraid to eat it. I highly, highly suggest you get some sort of manual on edible flora you can carry with yourself to use for reference. The trick to not dying of sickness from when you try a new or unrecognizable piece of flora is this:
- Try a very, very small amount. Like a single small bite. 99% of plants aren't potent enough to kill you from that. Wait a few hours. You might get really hungry, but you can last a couple weeks on basically no food. If you don't get sick from it after about 12 hours, probably pretty safe. Try a larger portion. Do that until you can eat a fairly good size portion of it and don't get sick and its most likely safe to eat.

Of course, my understanding comes from survival situations, not necessarily everyday use sort of stuff. So, obviously this is a bit extreme, but it is effective. Anyways, that's why I suggest getting a manual on edible flora, makes life a lot easier.
What animals were you hunting? I live near a city so not sure of my chances. Best I can think of are squirrels.
I'll have a look into that. Thanks for the advise.

Im an apprentice boiler mechanic. not unionized, thank god, just me and the bossman whose done this job his whole life.

As for food, making fire is a fine skill but it wont do you any good if you have no food to cook unless you intend to hunt animals in said park lmao. I have no idea what youre current diet is like, but if its typical of most people in the modern age I think you'll find that you really dont need as much food as people claim. still, being on foot might make it a bit difficult to carry whats required still.

when on my trips I had a big family sized jar of peanut butter, some granola bars, and canned sardines (I like them myself but they are an acquired taste. really healthy though). I usually ate 1 granola bar and some kind of fruit for breakfast (but of course you cant bring too much fruit with you, non perishables are essential. you'll be able to bring some to get started but will have to buy some at some point), had sardines for lunch, then had 3 to 4 spoonfuls of peanut butter for dinner. kept me going just fine. of course I was riding a motorcycle, if you are on foot some additional calories might not hurt.
Ah okay so you're not in a huge corporate. How did you get into that?
Yeah I was thinking I can do shop bought for small things. Interesting so little is enough, why do we eat so much normally. Most people barely do any exercise.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SEVEN

angry little manlet
Reaction score
Awards
Ah okay so you're not in a huge corporate. How did you get into that?
Yeah I was thinking I can do shop bought for small things. Interesting so little is enough, why do we eat so much normally. Most people barely do any exercise.

well unfortunately its one of those things where you have to know people. I worked at a lumber yard and while I didnt mind the physicality of the job (I mean my current job is still pretty labor intensive), the management of the store was just ridiculously bad, I'll spare the details. but a guy I worked with there when he found out I was leaving, gave me his uncle's (my current boss) contact information.

why do you think people are getting so fat? we eat way too much and exert so little energy. and eating too much not only makes you gain weight but also makes you feel sluggish and zapped of energy, causing you to do even less to burn off the calories you just consumed.

I'm in decent shape these days, but I used to be fat. I started to eat just one meal a day and dropped 30lbs in 3 months. I dont always do just one meal a day anymore, but I am careful about how much I eat. got a little sloppy recently and gained a few lbs so now I am having to cut back again.

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
well unfortunately its one of those things where you have to know people. I worked at a lumber yard and while I didnt mind the physicality of the job (I mean my current job is still pretty labor intensive), the management of the store was just ridiculously bad, I'll spare the details. but a guy I worked with there when he found out I was leaving, gave me his uncle's (my current boss) contact information.

why do you think people are getting so fat? we eat way too much and exert so little energy. and eating too much not only makes you gain weight but also makes you feel sluggish and zapped of energy, causing you to do even less to burn off the calories you just consumed.

I'm in decent shape these days, but I used to be fat. I started to eat just one meal a day and dropped 30lbs in 3 months. I dont always do just one meal a day anymore, but I am careful about how much I eat. got a little sloppy recently and gained a few lbs so now I am having to cut back again.
Ah yeah bad management is stressful. That's what I have now, literally having to push and push just to get pay sorted.

Yeah you're right. I think food making people tired is an evolutionary thing, don't need to move more if the food has already been sorted. And nice good for you, dude. Easy to get back into it with all the unhealthy options. Keep yourself up

Virtual Cafe Awards

FalseReality

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
the quicker accept that life is TRULY meaningless, you will have more peace :) stay strong brother, you are much more courageous than I, and that I respect
I've accepted it more times than I can recall. I just can't find ways to make life meaningful when everything has to revolve around monetising things to be able to survive. I appreciate you saying that.

What do you do? And what puts you off it if you want to?

Virtual Cafe Awards