i wrote what i think is an ok essay on vaporwave

Eel_Face

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hello every1!

I just found this site and I'm really excited about it. I adore forums and this one has such a great vibe about it, so I can't wait to get stuck in and get talking about VW

For my undergrad I had to write a 4000 word essay for a Cultural Memory essay, so ofc I did mine on VW.
I spoke about Mark Fisher's hauntology but I tried to develop it by adding other theorists in and looking at lots of nostalgia theory.
I actually think Fisher really missed the boat (pun?) with VW and failed to see its real potential, as a method of expression and as something unique and , I'd argue as a movement, 'new'.

I'd love to hear you guys and your thoughts on the hauntologyband VW debate, obvs its maybe quite stale by this point and is a thoroughly beaten dead horse, but I think there's more to be said about VW than merely it being a nostalgia vehicle or just 80s/90s worship.

I can attach the essay I wrote if anyone is interested.
Its a bit more truncated than I would like and some sections are under developed due to word count issues, but I'd love to hear what you guys think of my thesis of Vaporwave as an 'exorcist'.

Big love x

Virtual Cafe Awards

Steingar

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Welcome to the forum, I'll give your essay a read when I get a change!

I had a thread a few weeks ago which touched on similar themes and background; I essentially asserted that the core of vaporwave could be better understood more through the mechanics of expression (mostly sampling) rather than purely as a reduction to hauntology as an evocation of nostalgic mood. After all, 'An Empty Bliss Beyond This World' is haunted, but it's hardly vaporwave. You probably already know the source already, but 'Babbling Corpse' by Grafton Tanner is a good read on this subject.

You can check out the previous thread here if interested:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eel_Face

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
@Steingar

Thankyou for the warm welcome :3

I'll take a look through this thread for sure.

I'm of the opinion that vaporwave is not beholden to any one 'ideal type' description of it.
I agree, it's not reducible to hauntology, but I'd assert there is an element of hauntology in a majority of VW (to greatly varying extents) but there is not vaporwave in everything hauntological.

I agree with HKE, VW can be anything it wants to really, but I'd suggest that what makes something VW is its being in response and conversation with previous monolithic VW artefacts (think of the big three, or just any VW thing held in high esteem); either in stepping in line with their aesthetics and affect, or by subverting them on some way.
I've basically just described any usual music scene, but the online-ness of VW is crucial to shaping how this conversational project functions and shaping the genre generally, more so than in other genres/scenes

And yeah I read that book!
I have my issues with it and I wish it was, like, longer, but jt was cool to see someone take VW so seriously as a philosophic point of inquiry

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eel_Face

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Very interesting! Can I introduce your essay and post a summary on my blog? Thank you!
O fuq
Yeah of course, that would be sick!

When you write the summary could I look over it b4 you post it?
And can I get the link to your blog, I'd love to take a look :D

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
Hello every1!

I just found this site and I'm really excited about it. I adore forums and this one has such a great vibe about it, so I can't wait to get stuck in and get talking about VW

For my undergrad I had to write a 4000 word essay for a Cultural Memory essay, so ofc I did mine on VW.
I spoke about Mark Fisher's hauntology but I tried to develop it by adding other theorists in and looking at lots of nostalgia theory.
I actually think Fisher really missed the boat (pun?) with VW and failed to see its real potential, as a method of expression and as something unique and , I'd argue as a movement, 'new'.

I'd love to hear you guys and your thoughts on the hauntologyband VW debate, obvs its maybe quite stale by this point and is a thoroughly beaten dead horse, but I think there's more to be said about VW than merely it being a nostalgia vehicle or just 80s/90s worship.

I can attach the essay I wrote if anyone is interested.
Its a bit more truncated than I would like and some sections are under developed due to word count issues, but I'd love to hear what you guys think of my thesis of Vaporwave as an 'exorcist'.

Big love x
このエッセイがあなたのためにうまくいくことを願っています!

この分野に比較的早く到着した人として、最近人々がこのジャンルの学術論文を書いているのは驚くべきことです。そのような草の根の起源を持つ何かが今や学術的批評に値すると考えられていると考えることは信じられないほど満足です。とてもかっこいい。ノスタルジックで音楽は勉強に値すると思います、そしてあなたの真実の追求は計り知れない報酬を生み出すでしょう。

多くの人々が皮肉にもこの運動に参加しましたが、皮肉なことは時々裏目に出ます。それはその始まり以来飛躍的に見られており、あなたのエッセイはそれを反映しています。ここで説得力のある議論をします。あなたの言うことのほとんどは正確であり、状況に関する私の見解を反映しています。真剣に、良い仕事。私たちの作品がより多くの聴衆に公開されていることを知るのは素晴らしいことです。

あなたはこれほど良いエッセイで成功するはずです!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eel_Face

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
このエッセイがあなたのためにうまくいくことを願っています!

この分野に比較的早く到着した人として、最近人々がこのジャンルの学術論文を書いているのは驚くべきことです。そのような草の根の起源を持つ何かが今や学術的批評に値すると考えられていると考えることは信じられないほど満足です。とてもかっこいい。ノスタルジックで音楽は勉強に値すると思います、そしてあなたの真実の追求は計り知れない報酬を生み出すでしょう。

多くの人々が皮肉にもこの運動に参加しましたが、皮肉なことは時々裏目に出ます。それはその始まり以来飛躍的に見られており、あなたのエッセイはそれを反映しています。ここで説得力のある議論をします。あなたの言うことのほとんどは正確であり、状況に関する私の見解を反映しています。真剣に、良い仕事。私たちの作品がより多くの聴衆に公開されていることを知るのは素晴らしいことです。

あなたはこれほど良いエッセイで成功するはずです!
Thanks so much!

Yeah I think it's a good thing that VW has been intellectualised, even if guys like George Clanton might disagree. It's a thought provoking genre and it has a lot of potential still I think.
I think even if it ceases to have massive impact on other musical spheres, it will always be an incredibly significant moment in the Internet music cannon.

Virtual Cafe Awards