What's new

Improvement & Feedback Thread

  • Thread starter admin
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 5669 times.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Hey everyone! This thread is so you can post your thought on the site and to let me know if you have any suggestions to improve on it Thank You!
 

Eis-T

The Taste of Late Capitalism
LV
0
 
Awards
4
I know its aesthetic and all, but the font is reaaaaaly small.

I'm not sure if it exists but a button to make text spaced l i k e t h i s would be a perfect addition right next to bold italic and undercore.

overall I'm diggin it the way it is man, good work!
 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV
0
 
Awards
4
Eis-T said:
I know its aesthetic and all, but the font is reaaaaaly small.

I'm not sure if it exists but a button to make text spaced l i k e t h i s would be a perfect addition right next to bold italic and undercore.

overall I'm diggin it the way it is man, good work!

Thank you I will see if I can change the default font size
 

North Face

delet urself
LV
0
 
aight look this place could be good but my god is the formatting and design on this forum horrendous
and i mean, having been to numerous forums, this has got to be one of the worst. what a mess. sorry

tiny buttons. horrible font. huge images. garbage icons.... the only good thing is the b&w color scheme and maybe the smilies
look man you gotta focus on the content:screen ratio. if a single post takes up half my fucking screen it better be worthwhile. but it's not. your design is shit. also forums are good because they promote lengthy and in depth discussions (e.g. the "what is [subgenre]?" threads. i like them), so stop using this place mainly for small talk and posting threads with single links. go do that in the chat room.

also delete all the pointless fucking subtopics. they should exist out of necessity when the time comes. but you've only just started a forum you can't expect everyone to spread out their content across such a large variety of topics.

go scrap most/all of this design and start again. i mean at a glance this forum looks nice but within 2s you realise it's a mess. here's an example image of a forum i used to frequent which had a decent theme made entirely from scratch. i know it's not vaporwave but just to show you that this can all be done easily, just ask for lots of critique in chatrooms (or telegram)

 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV
0
 
Awards
4
This thread is still live so any suggestions pls let me know!
 

ScaffoldedBuilding

Active Traveler
LV
0
 
Awards
1
North Face said:
Alright look this place could be good but the formatting and design on this forum is horrendous
and i mean, having been to numerous forums, this has got to be one of the worst. What a mess, sorry

Tiny buttons, horrible font, huge images, garbage icons. The only good thing is the b&w color scheme and maybe the smilies
Look man, you gotta focus on the content:screen ratio. If a single post takes up half my screen it better be worthwhile. But it's not. Your design is horrible. Also forums are good because they promote lengthy and in depth discussions (e.g. the "what is [subgenre]?" threads. I like them), so stop using this place mainly for small talk and posting threads with single links. go do that in the chat room.

Also delete all the pointless subtopics. They should exist out of necessity when the time comes. But you've only just started a forum you can't expect everyone to spread out their content across such a large variety of topics.

Scrap most/all of this design and start over. I mean at a glance this forum looks nice but within two seconds you realise it's a mess. here's an example image of a forum I used to frequent which had a decent theme made entirely from scratch. I know it's not vaporwave but just to show you that this can all be done easily, just ask for lots of critique in chatrooms (or telegram)


You have some good points here but I did decide to take out the swearing and try to fix the interpunction (I'm really bad at interpunction).
Personally anything that is meant as valid critique but swears anywhere where it could be avoided starts feeling more like an attack than critique.
Which doesn't inherently mean the points which are made are bad, just that the delivery could be smoother.

But yeay,
The design can feel clunky like with image and embed size but also in the messaging system and inbox.
Topics can be put together more so activity isn't so spread out is also a good one.

Maybe look at more other forums and see what they do right and wrong?
 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV
0
 
Awards
4
ScaffoldedBuilding said:
North Face said:
Alright look this place could be good but the formatting and design on this forum is horrendous
and i mean, having been to numerous forums, this has got to be one of the worst. What a mess, sorry

Tiny buttons, horrible font, huge images, garbage icons. The only good thing is the b&w color scheme and maybe the smilies
Look man, you gotta focus on the content:screen ratio. If a single post takes up half my screen it better be worthwhile. But it's not. Your design is horrible. Also forums are good because they promote lengthy and in depth discussions (e.g. the "what is [subgenre]?" threads. I like them), so stop using this place mainly for small talk and posting threads with single links. go do that in the chat room.

Also delete all the pointless subtopics. They should exist out of necessity when the time comes. But you've only just started a forum you can't expect everyone to spread out their content across such a large variety of topics.

Scrap most/all of this design and start over. I mean at a glance this forum looks nice but within two seconds you realise it's a mess. here's an example image of a forum I used to frequent which had a decent theme made entirely from scratch. I know it's not vaporwave but just to show you that this can all be done easily, just ask for lots of critique in chatrooms (or telegram)


You have some good points here but I did decide to take out the swearing and try to fix the interpunction (I'm really bad at interpunction).
Personally anything that is meant as valid critique but swears anywhere where it could be avoided starts feeling more like an attack than critique.
Which doesn't inherently mean the points which are made are bad, just that the delivery could be smoother.

But yeay,
The design can feel clunky like with image and embed size but also in the messaging system and inbox.
Topics can be put together more so activity isn't so spread out is also a good one.

Maybe look at more other forums and see what they do right and wrong?
.can you be more specific with the image and embed sixe. I'm sorry I dont really understand? :-\
 

ScaffoldedBuilding

Active Traveler
LV
0
 
Awards
1
[/quote].can you be more specific with the image and embed sixe. I'm sorry I dont really understand? :-\
[/quote]

The sizes of the embeds and images can be really big to the point where I can only properly have on comment on my screen.

Now it isn't the worst thing ever but it could be tweaked to where it's still a good size but not so big it covers everything.
 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV
0
 
Awards
4
ScaffoldedBuilding said:
.can you be more specific with the image and embed sixe. I'm sorry I dont really understand? :-\

The sizes of the embeds and images can be really big to the point where I can only properly have on comment on my screen.

Now it isn't the worst thing ever but it could be tweaked to where it's still a good size but not so big it covers everything.
oh okay, I know exactly what you mean i'll see if I can tweak the code and make it to a more reasonable size
 

AndyPeterson

New Traveler
LV
0
 
Heyo, looks like Google authentication is broken maybe. I get a 500 error when clicking the "sign in with Google" button, (so I made this fake AndyPeterson account. Normally I'm Andy Peterson with a space!)
 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV
0
 
Awards
4
AndyPeterson said:
Heyo, looks like Google authentication is broken maybe. I get a 500 error when clicking the "sign in with Google" button, (so I made this fake AndyPeterson account. Normally I'm Andy Peterson with a space!)
Oh that's what happens, I just sent u a message. I am having trouble with the database so the forum may shutoff randomly until I fix it. See if it works right now
 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV
0
 
Awards
4
AndyPeterson said:
Heyo, looks like Google authentication is broken maybe. I get a 500 error when clicking the "sign in with Google" button, (so I made this fake AndyPeterson account. Normally I'm Andy Peterson with a space!)
I will message you when I fix it and debug it
 

AndyPeterson

New Traveler
LV
0
 
admin said:
AndyPeterson said:
Heyo, looks like Google authentication is broken maybe. I get a 500 error when clicking the "sign in with Google" button, (so I made this fake AndyPeterson account. Normally I'm Andy Peterson with a space!)
I will message you when I fix it and debug it
Ok thanks
 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV
0
 
Awards
4
I fixed the google authentication error. The problem was that it code was not compatible with php 7.2 so I reverted to php 7.0
 

Andy Peterson

Home&Office to achieve maximum success
LV
0
 
Awards
1
I'm back! Thanks :)
 

petersprinter

Taksiwave out now!
LV
0
 
Awards
1
Have you ever considered enabling access for external apps like Tapatalk? I know the layout is nice and retro but I notice I often dread coming back here because of the layout. It's especially hard to browse and post using a smartphone. I'd love to have some good, clean access through an app and be here more often...
 

admin

Administrator
Staff member
LV
0
 
Awards
4
petersprinter said:
Have you ever considered enabling access for external apps like Tapatalk? I know the layout is nice and retro but I notice I often dread coming back here because of the layout. It's especially hard to browse and post using a smartphone. I'd love to have some good, clean access through an app and be here more often...
Thank you for your input I'm looking more into Tapatalk and it does seem to support SMF forum software which is what this site uses. But would you be okay if the forum had a responsive code so it would be more mobile freindily? Or a new simple mobile theme you can use for your phone?
 
Macintosh Cafe.FM
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.