Industrial Americana - Aesthetic Highlight #15

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Was an aesthetic around in 90's and it constited of rusty cogs, metallic parts and factory styled intenior. It's also a succedor of Factory Pomo aesthetic but less colorful and more rustic.
original_bccdc3c72e1f77ca86512fc7e83fbea9.jpg

original_aa0a91dbc1180c06801134d86c0e1167.jpg

Attachments

• original_e3276f92ee4e3c86568d310502b712d0.jpg
    original_e3276f92ee4e3c86568d310502b712d0.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Virtual Cafe Awards

infamous witness

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
digitalbipolart.neocities.org
the great white north had its moment in the 90s. jewel came out of alaska, the tv show northern exposure had its moment, it can be even argued that Frasier represented 90s northern culture.
Northern-Exposure_Moose.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

OrientalGrill

Internet Trainhopper. Seeker of homes.
Reaction score
Awards
Abandoned factories/mills have an odd charm to them, I must say. Around where I live, we have this place called Sloss Furnace which is a popular local attraction for "paranormal investigators". Its quite a sight.
sloss-furnace-charles-steele.jpg

ddd-33.jpg

sloss-furnace-charles-steele.jpg

Factories seem to look more beautiful when they are abandoned for some reason. Its like a giant explorable labyrinth.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
In Washington we have a shit ton of small, privately owned breweries making indie-beer this and IPA-that and I feel like they all have this aesthetic to some degree. I wonder if it's the nature of housing a social gathering place inside their brewery or if that aesthetic just appeals to people's sense of "local community brewery operation"?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Pacing Tape

Idealistic Pillock
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
pacing-tape.itch.io
In Washington we have a shit ton of small, privately owned breweries making indie-beer this and IPA-that and I feel like they all have this aesthetic to some degree. I wonder if it's the nature of housing a social gathering place inside their brewery or if that aesthetic just appeals to people's sense of "local community brewery operation"?
(Assuming you mean Washington State) We've got the same thing in Oregon with all sorts of breweries and generally places associated with bar food. I think it's sort of this idea of re-appropriating the use of factories and industrial technology. There's this burger place I went to a few years back in Portland that's inside of what used to be a factory, they even left some of the defunct machinery in there. I know of a couple micro-breweries like what you're talking about that are in my city that are built in empty warehouses and factories too. It seems to me like it's got the same sort of appeal as plants growing over old abandoned stuff, sort of reclaiming things, either from "The Man" or just from technology as a whole. Or I could be thinking too much about it and people just dig the vibe, especially hipsters and the sort of people that go to micro-breweries. I just love pub food man.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Abandoned factories/mills have an odd charm to them, I must say. Around where I live, we have this place called Sloss Furnace which is a popular local attraction for "paranormal investigators". Its quite a sight.
View attachment 16460
View attachment 16461
View attachment 16462
Factories seem to look more beautiful when they are abandoned for some reason. Its like a giant explorable labyrinth.
Reminds me of the old gasworks in Seattle on the north end of Lake Union (now Gas Works Park). It's all a bunch of out-of-service machinery that's rustic, but not entirely decrepit. It pleases the eye rather than scorns it--whether this is universal or learned, I'm not sure.

gasworks1.jpeggasworks2.jpeggasworks3.jpeg
(Last photo by Joe Mabel)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Lukeas1111

My dad owns Microsoft >:(
Reaction score
Awards
At Long Beach in California, there is a bike trail that follows near the coastline of the beach. And along the coastline are these massive oil refineries. So if you bike on these trails at night, when the only things illuminating your path are dim street lamps and the lights on the oil refineries, it's a breathtaking sight. The scale of the refineries and how close they are to you makes you feel so small and insignificant, it's almost scary.
GettyImages-1210662764.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3578

I don't hate it, but the whole rustic interior design ethos isn't my thing. Like, if a place feels like a Gen X lesbian's apartment or a restaurant that has Mason jars and $9 sides I'm emotionally clocking out.

Descarte Yee

The 4th musketeer
Reaction score
Awards
Fellow Washington chad? Small world after all.

Virtual Cafe Awards