Installing Firefox versions higher than 2.0.0.20 on Win98 virtual machine.

• Thread starter Ronin
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1283 times.

Ronin

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I installed http://kernelex.sourceforge.net which can run up to Firefox 8.0 but it doesn't work for me.
Down to 5.0 after the higher ones failed:

1qQiVeS.png

Back to 2.0.0.20:

ivaQJJU.png

Some https sites are accessible:

ULQHPIq.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Merek

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
An impressive attempt, considering my recent efforts to get Firefox to view most of the internet on an old win 7 laptop were a failure. Can't upgrade to the new FF with all the useless horseshit, laptop can't handle it. But can't stick with the old one (maybe five years old or so) because websites break left and right. Not as in look ugly, but just will not load at all in many cases.

If some earth-shattering new standard in web-tech had come out, I could live with this, but it hasn't. It's all been regressive bloat. And even if the web had actually advanced in some meaningful way, sites should be able to fail gracefully and still display basic, minimal functionality. FFS, all google properties used to have a form that was pure, simple html and css as a fail-safe.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ronin

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
agreed, Firefox 2.0.0.20 isn't that old, it was released in Dec 18, 2008, it works for example to use basic html gmail to get files out of it, but it should be able to do more.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ronin

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
messed up Windows 3.1 trying to increase resolution, had to get something from the installation disk and restart.

J1BTipX.png

byndNPd.png

AkS6nPp.png

edit: works now, can change.

wjHTLwl.png

Tried different variants, gives "An error occured while trying to initialize the video adapter."
Stuck with VGA, another issue, tried to set up network, needed this msnet.drv file it couldn't find, I found msnet.dr_ on installation disk, made an .iso out of it renamed to msnet.drv, this is the result.

iYZrQ0Q.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Ronin

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Found a way to switch to 1024x768 resolution and 256 colors, www.youtube.com/watch?v=U88hztzP4Ok

qXy0is9.png

msn.com freezes it, got to restart the machine, don't know what to do about that, gave it enough RAM.
I wanted to see if there are other news sites I could access, found this.
Jul 25, 2018,07:00am EDT
"Last February Google let it be known that websites that used the HTTP protocol instead of the much more secure HTTPS would be labeled "Not Secure" in the URL bar sometime during July. July is now here and Google launched Chrome 68 with the promised change yesterday. Website owners had five months to get their act together and switch to HTTPS so visitors to their sites would be safe. Most of them did. Some couldn't be bothered.
Do yourself a favor. Avoid these websites until they get their act together and move to HTTPS. You'll be safer if you do."
Seems like extortion, they complied.

Virtual Cafe Awards