Internet Explorer being disabled tomorrow

• Thread starter Ronin
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1249 times.

Ronin

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
"Microsoft will retire its antiquated Internet Explorer (IE) on June 15, that is, 27 years after the web browser was introduced. The decision was announced last year, and the Redmond, Washington-based tech giant is slowly pushing its Chromium-based Edge as the primary browser for Windows PCs. Microsoft claims that its current-gen Edge browser is a "faster, more secure, and more modern browsing experience than Internet Explorer".

Though some details for developers remain unclear, it is certain that many end-users will fail to run the app on their desktops following June 15. In a blog post last year, Microsoft had announced that the Internet Explorer 11 desktop application would be retired and go out of support on June 15, 2022 for certain versions of Windows 10. The same information flashes on IE when users open the browser to access websites. Microsoft recommends users to use Microsoft Edge for a "more secure" web browsing experience.

A separate FAQ page highlights that the IE desktop application will be "progressively redirected to Microsoft Edge over the following months". More users will notice the automatic redirect to Edge from IE near the official retirement date. Microsoft has said that the IE11 desktop application will be disabled through a future Windows 10 cumulative monthly update. The FAQ page also notes that the IE 11 browser is not available with the latest Windows 11."

seems like an abuse to me, not to let people run it if they want to. Microsoft is known for scummy behaviour like https://www.howtogeek.com/243581/windows-10-may-delete-your-programs-without-asking
"When you install a major Windows 10 update, you may reboot to find some of your programs missing. Yes, Windows 10 may remove your programs without asking you–but you can get them back pretty easily.

This is the takeaway from some people's experiences with the "November update," Windows 10's first big update. Microsoft has refused to comment on this, but it seems like the update process is designed to remove incompatible programs. Here's what's going on, and what you can do about it."

Virtual Cafe Awards

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The Windows 98 environment I have on virtualbox will have even less use now, damn.

I usually hate software being discontinued but I honestly don't really have problems with this, I think nearly 30 years is an alright amount of time to wait before doing something like this, I'm honestly surprised I can even still open it up today. And I honestly don't see what use people have for it anymore. I'm pretty sure it has less functionality than browsers nowadays and... holy shit this thing is pozzed by Microsoft, it gives you a bunch of pop-ups about the shit they want you to use and it even just opened Edge for me and tried to make it so I can't close it.

Though I don't really have any fond memories of using it besides getting a bunch of toolbar viruses on it when I was younger, so that's probably why I'm indifferent.
But it is just a browser so :kannaSippyn:

the Redmond, Washington-based tech giant
Not related but I don't why I never processed that Microsoft is actually a company that has a central building somewhere and not just an entity that's made to give my computer shitty updates.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ronin

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The Windows 98 environment I have on virtualbox will have even less use now, damn.

I usually hate software being discontinued but I honestly don't really have problems with this, I think nearly 30 years is an alright amount of time to wait before doing something like this, I'm honestly surprised I can even still open it up today. And I honestly don't see what use people have for it anymore. I'm pretty sure it has less functionality than browsers nowadays and... holy shit this thing is pozzed by Microsoft, it gives you a bunch of pop-ups about the shit they want you to use and it even just opened Edge for me and tried to make it so I can't close it.

Though I don't really have any fond memories of using it besides getting a bunch of toolbar viruses on it when I was younger, so that's probably why I'm indifferent.
But it is just a browser so :kannaSippyn:

Not related but I don't why I never processed that Microsoft is actually a company that has a central building somewhere and not just an entity that's made to give my computer shitty updates.

I think it will keep running on older versions (like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1), in any case Firefox 2.0.0.20 seems like the better choice for Windows 98 (last version compatible, I see the last IE version compatible is IE6, don't think it's much better than the IE5 it came with, which can't connect to any https sites)
* Now working: Mozilla Firefox 8.0
couldn't get more recent versions to work though.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
To be fair to Microsoft, I think they've learned from when they tried to phase IE6 out. You can't ask people to make good decisions around what browser they run sometimes, so for outliers you just gotta make em do it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Superjedi2454

Responsible for 1997 stormtrooper massacre
Reaction score
Awards
Really sucks to see but....
The flow of time must keep going.

Virtual Cafe Awards

calico_jack

midwest emo
Reaction score
Awards
fuck im gonna have to change my default browser.
cant say that i will miss accidentally opening PDFs in IE and waiting 3 minutes for them to load

Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
Spent so many years fighting for it to die. Now it's sad to see something from the past die. Irony.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
F
;_;7

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1655443605421.jpg
    FB_IMG_1655443605421.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 53
Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Sad
Reactions: _TF

Ronin

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
My biggest concern isn't about IE. It's about the fact that Microsoft can remotely kill software
it can't actually, it's done through an update (I set updates to manual and IE still works for me)

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
it can't actually, it's done through an update (I set updates to manual and IE still works for me)
"I set updates to manual" doesn't refute my point.

This is becoming increasingly harder and harder with each release of Windows

you might have a "workaround" now, but the problem is still there, and ignoring it because you can technically bypass it now is going to hit you like a truck when they take that functionality away. Which they will.

People really need to stop using Windows

*steam ending support (shuting off) on Win 7-8-8.1 (mine) in 191 days or so (1, 1, 24)
:> *i love it* /s/c

Virtual Cafe Awards