Internet Underground (Pre-2000s Internet Zine)

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
weirdontheweb.PNG

I was buming around the Phone Losers of America's website when I stumbled upon a magazine feature of his work in "Internet Underground." I've spent the whole afternoon reading up on old stories and chasing dead links as a result. Some of the articles confront the same issues we see today from dealing with purposely biased media to digital free speech rights. I recommend reading A Conversation with the Candyman, who details and defends his website (Candyman's Underground) hosting bomb making tutorials and other taboo information. The American Precedent is also another worthy read as it focuses in on fringe candidates using the web to get the word out about their campaigns, while detailing the early political adopters of the web and how it may impact the democratic process. Also worth checking out are their "top 10 websites" and "weird sites" lists. A few of them are still available on the Internet Archive.

internetunderground1.PNG

Overall it's just an interesting time capsule of the weirder side of the early net. There's some pretty funny stuff there as well. Figured you'd all get a kick out of this.

You can view the digital collection of Internet Underworld's material here via the Wayback Machine.
Two issues of the physical magazine are scanned here. Unfortunately I have yet to find any others, looks like some people on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk were searching recently as well with no luck.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Great find, I would love to get a physical copy of the magazine.
Only two other copies for sale on ebay and both at $125 :doodleDavid:

Interesting find. Apparently some writer on amazon is selling issue 11(which hasnt been archived) for 1000 bucks.

View attachment 52878
And the mysterious issue 11 which isn't available on the web archived version of the site. Last issue of the publication perhaps?? Could be wrong there. John Draper is quite the pioneer phreaker, would be an interesting read but that costly barrier to entry is uhhhh wild. :scardoggo:
Surely there is a scan or something out there?

Virtual Cafe Awards