Introduce yourself!

bunnycaress

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
276393zqchxoykva.gif

What cancelled sitcom best describes your life?
~i dont watch tv much so i couldn't tell u

What does Vaporwave mean to you?
~people see it as some capitalist bs but i feel like its a form of art, i like its color pallet and how in some ways it uses pastels and diffrent textures

What subgenres are you most into?
~i love egl and 2000s/2010 internet and tech, i have a collection of old game consoles passed down from my brother that i enjoy playing on lol

How did you find out about this place?
~i found out through an irl friend of mine ^_^

What do you do for fun?
~i dont do much stuff thats "fun" but i enjoy coding and im currently building my own website and i do some fashion design

276393zqchxoykva.gif

Virtual Cafe Awards

xafilah

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hello everyone, my name is xafilah and I'm new here. I'm an historian and scholar currently based in Scotland. I enjoy discussing food, arguing, discussing drink, debating historical facts and counterfactuals, ignoring historiographical trends, arguing, and online esoterica.

None that I know of, but I never really was one for television anyways

It's a music genre based in a Romantic longing for the '90s and 00's. A rose-tinted look back towards the great American Moment, when it looked like history had ended and those promises of liberty and prosperity for all would be fulfilled.

Of Vapourwave? I don't know what it's properly called, but I'm a big fan of the slower, more melancholy pieces.

I saw someone else mention it about half a year ago, and I've lurking here since then.

What do you do for fun?
I hate having fun, it's difficult and hot and far too much work altogether.
In all seriousness, I shoot, hike, and play vidya

Virtual Cafe Awards

cyb3r_sham4n

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hey everyone I'm dropping in here.

I grew up on the later days of the old web. I remember the magical feeling of it being the digital wild west. Nerds sharing stories about particular interests with other nerds. Everything being barebones functional and looking extremely ugly, filled with annoying gifs and ugly colors. (Yet nowadays that aesthetic is pleasing somehow. Must be nostalgia.) Web pages taking forever to load. Flamewars. Less moderation. Personal webpages. Instant messengers. Anything went.

Then as we all know it has become this bland, uniform corporate dystopia. How boring, but I guess inevitable. Just the nature of things. Anyway, I'm here seeking a sort of refuge from the modern web. Done with all forms of social media, aside from forums and image boards. It's all too much, total information overload... I have no interest in taking a part in it anymore. Glad to see forums still exist. Guess they never went away, just took a backseat. I'm hoping for a forum reneissance to be honest.

I always loved the anonymity of forums. Nobody cares who you are in real life, you're not trying to get attention on your real life accomplishments, it's a completely separate thing. Focusing on discussions and discussions alone. I heard someone say that, "back in the day the internet was escapism from real life, nowadays real life is escapism from the internet." When you're using your real name and interact with other people using their real names, it becomes just like this... shittier version of real life, you know? A pale imitation that brings forth the worst qualities in us. But anonymous interaction, that's a totally different thing. There is no equivalent to it in the real world. That's what the digital wonderland felt to me growing up into it as a youngster: a whole new world. And now it has become, as I said, just another run-of-the-mill extension of the corporate dystopia. Doesn't that like tie into the whole vaporwave thing? Nobody knew quite where we were headed, teh interwebs was gonna change everything, we were thinking of unlimited possibilities!!! And here we are now. Guess everything is connected like that, and that's probably the reason I am here on this forum. Heh, I feel like rewatching that movie Hackers now.

On a lighter note regarding my interests: I like tinkering with old hardware that others would consider obsolete, using it till the day it breaks or it becomes truly obsolete to the point of not serving any useful purpose anymore. For example, the core components of my desktop PC are proudly 11 years old at this point. I've built my own, mixing and match it along the years. On that note I adore the sound and the visual representation of defragging a hard drive. (anyone else? anyone..?) The older the better cause they make louder sounds, There's nothing quite like listening to the sound of a hard drive and computer fans humming in the night, sitting in the glow of your monitor reading about conspiracy theories about the matrix on some archived web 1.0 geocities page. The only things I'm missing are a CRT monitor (RIP my old one) and a vinyl/cassette player to vibe to. Oh well, life goals for another day.

Hmm... Other than that I enjoy walking/cycling/swimming (particularly in nature), creating digital music, playing old single player PC games, spirituality/meditation/fasting etc.

That's it for now. Hello world.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Marcel Pierre

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Frasier, but with ten times the neurosis and none of the credentials.

Vaporwave is a mirror of the world we live in now. It's a sort of collective false memory of using a computer in a past none of us ever lived. Driving through Miami in a muscle car circa 199X. The Clinton Administration running on Windows '95. Japan but only the parts from anime.

Future Funk, cause it feels awesome.

The Atlantic.

What do you do for fun?
Listen to music, read, walk around the city and drink a lot of coffee.

Virtual Cafe Awards

DevineNoise

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hmm Idk. I don't watch many sitcoms.

It reminds me of my child hood in the 90's.

Lofi

reddit.

What do you do for fun?
Write music on keyboard and guitar. Play video games with my kids. Go for walks. Read books. Have people over. Snowboarding. Skateboarding.

Virtual Cafe Awards

any name you wish

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hi everybody, it's nice to be here.

The Finder. It's not exactly a sitcom, but I grieved as if it were.

Nostalgia but like from a lucid dream.

Still learning and exploring, not sure yet.

The internet.

What do you do for fun?
Join bulletin boards like it's 1999, go hiking, and some photography.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Horsa

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hi everybody, it's nice to be here.

The Finder. It's not exactly a sitcom, but I grieved as if it were.

Nostalgia but like from a lucid dream.

Still learning and exploring, not sure yet.

The internet.

What do you do for fun?
Join bulletin boards like it's 1999, go hiking, and some photography.
Hi!

Welcome!

It's nice to see you here.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kona

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Hi I'm Kola. Freaks and Geeks obviously for question one, except take away all the friends, all the relationships, all of the drama and comedy, and any of the interesting parts. I didn't realize this was a vaporwave forum when I found it. Maybe I just happened into an off-topic board, I didn't bother to check which specific board I was on at first. I do like some vapor and synthwave though. :) All I want is to find real people to talk to. And as for fun, I don't have any. My entire life is spent in pursuit of knowledge, and of philosophy. It is completely unfulfilling, thankless, and it somehow takes me further from the light everyday.

Virtual Cafe Awards

While I am still sort of new to vaporwave, I think its really cool and I like the retro sci-fi 80s aesthetic. It captures the wide-eyed hope of the 80s for a bright technological future, while also living within the domains of their current technological understanding and capability.

Simpsonwave for sure!

I look forward to seeing what everyone else is into! Music is meant to be shared!

Some journalist nerds posted an article about the dead internet, but I would've lost interest until I started exploring more about the site.
I really like how the forum looks, and the fact that its an actual live forum with activity. I never really liked the twitter format, or twitter users.

What do you do for fun?

Due to pandemic restrictions my plans of travelling the US have been cut short. I am a software engineer, so I spend time coding as a hobby. Boring. I know.
It would've been nice to go outside and travel to Alaska and Hawaii. Maybe Puerto Rico as well.

Once this pandemic clears I want to volunteer and give some good to the community.

Virtual Cafe Awards

yorba

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not sure if it describes my life but Twin Peaks struck a chord with me. The mixing of eerie, absurd and comic moments of the show, plus all the nostaligc-natural vaporwave-ish vibe is really something that remains with you.

I really dig the whole aesthetic and music as a chill moment of the day. For me it's like taking a cup of tea and chill; same thing but usually done by night. A part from this, i've studied the vaporwave phenomenon at university, discussed it with peers in the academic rooms and write even a paper about it! I think is a really fascinating case study of sociology of the internet.

Lo-fi for background things, vaportrap and future funk for the active listening

Linked from an article about the Death of Internet. Which is really ironic if you really think about it.

What do you do for fun?

I'm writing my thesis for a bachelor degree (but that's not really fun is it), watching a lot of movie, spending money on audiophile gears, Gundam, chess and all the other nerdy things of internet.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kenshiro

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Better off Ted

Its a genre of enjoyable music. I like the synths and I like the aesthetic of it.

Lo-fi and futurefunk those seem the most intresting.

Stumbled onto it from a link and decided I liked the vibe here.

What do you do for fun?
I do normal things I guess, gym, bjj, vidya and reading.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Morse

Resident Baja Blast Bandit
Reaction score
Awards
Introduce yourself: here are some prompts:

What do you do for fun?
hi, im morse!

personally im not much of a sitcom person, but if that one episode of NGE where shinji and asuka had to train together were to be a sitcom, then that would be a good descriptor

i listened to it a bunch when i was younger, so it fufills literal nostalgia, as well as giving me a sense of nostalgia for a time that never was, for somewhere i can never be. i participate in escapism in my own mind, and i feel as though vaporwave and its subsequent movements go along perfectly with that

i think mallsoft, and glitchcore (not that newfangled stuff, think ENA soundtrack), and just general vaporwave tbh

i found it on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, in my internet-wide search to find somewhere that i could feel comfortable on, and somewhere that scratched that chronically online itch in my brain

What do you do for fun?
i watch anime, skate, and just kinda browse online.

i started college recently and i am 100% focused on bettering myself and allowing myself to be more me, if that makes any sense. this board will hopefully help :) nice to meet yall!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Hieithemage

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
What canceled sitcom best describes your life?
Well I'm not very connected to this, having completed very few in my life.

But I think one that marked me a lot was "friends" I was dating a girl at the time and she loved the series I ended up liking it just like her at some point and I was even upset when it ended.

Well I was born in the 90's, vaporwave represents a familiar musical style to me, remember when I was a child and my uncles listened at our meetings, it reminds me of a whole generation of musical and images, art in the letter, something hard to recognize today. I can say that it sounds nostalgic to me; funny that I noticed only after that it was the topic of the forum, very cool.

Classic , Lo-fi, future funk is so nice too.

Well, it was kind of by chance, I mean, today it's very difficult to get on the internet and not do the same thing, it's hard to see something new, the algorithm fucks you up and besides everything content on common plataforms is very superficial and if not accepted by them will probably not be shown to you.

So how i found this place? i fI follow another forum where a user posted a link that gave a way here, not specifically, but from the link I found others until I found a post by a user here, I read some posts I was delighted with the power of dialogue that has concentrated here.

Great minds find themselves looking for what is similar.

What do you do for fun?

I love to read, I love authors like victor hugo, stephen king, Ayn rand and many otthers.
I exercise a lot too (gym, I ride skt and so on)

I like to write too, write my thoughts, poems.

Finally, a peculiar human being.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Dr.Green

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not a TV person, so this is a tricky one. Futurama? I'd make a great Fry.

Good vibes. Excited to learn about the ar

Folkpunk, thrash, lo-fi, house, acid-anything, doom, sludge.

I saw it mentioned elsewhere and followed the link. Sticking around because I've really been enjoying the visuals so far.

What do you do for fun?
Lifting, camping, driving, gardening.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Steingar

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Hi y'all.

Rabbits by David Lynch.

Vaporwave to me is the most unique and interesting genre of music of the past few decades at least. Born on the internet, died on it (?) and constantly morphing beyond its post-modern confines into forms almost unrecognisable.

I can't honestly say many vaporwave albums are in my favourites list ('Yes! We're open' is a notable exception) but I get immense pleasure out of engaging with them nonetheless.

Mallsoft; it strikes me as being the perfect middle ground between what vaporwave is intellectually (a post-modern critique of capitalist culture, I guess) and what vaporwave can be sonically (blessedly haunted music).

I must admit, it was from that infamous Atlantic article. I actually messaged the author about how obviously wrong the lo-fi hip hop part was, but no reply.

What do you do for fun?

I read. A lot. Well, I'm in lockdown so that helps a bit. I love fiction the most but I've been making more time for NF recently.

Other than that I'm into longboarding and hiking where and when I'm able.

Virtual Cafe Awards

cornfed

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
parker lewis can't lose

i just find it comfy when things are blurry

just everything lofi and yknow from the heart

the atlantic

Virtual Cafe Awards

santafe

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hi

Ummm. No idea, don't watch tv. Maybe Premiers baisers was the last i watched, but only because my sister watched it. It was looong time ago.

Music, pics, nostalgy.

Computer-archeology, maybe.

I have seen an ad.

What do you do for fun?

Hiking, walking, looking at buildings, reading books, listening music.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Shanpu

SBM | Shanpu
Reaction score
Awards

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

At this point vaporware is 50% of my personality so I'd say a lot.

I like future funk and mallsoft. <3

I found it in a >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk thread

What do you do for fun?

I like to drown my misery in the pleasant sounds of DDS...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Crabbelly

Creator. Destroyer. Demigod.
Reaction score
Awards
Buffy

I guess I knew about the aesthetic first, I saw it on tumblr years ago and it kept catching my eye. The music itself creates a sense of nostalgia for the past and future we've already lived.

I'm mostly into chillstep/chillwave/wave/synthwave/future garage.

I can't remember exactly what I was searching for but I found out about this place in a DuckDuckGo search result. I've known about it for about a year now and decided to join recently. I love the aesthetic and the vibe here.

What do you do for fun?
I just smoke weed and watch documentaries tbh. I like to play table tennis as well.

:)

Virtual Cafe Awards

chaemii

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The Norm Show

Cruising around the city in my shitty used car

Does anyone remember Metro-Ko?

Chinese basket weaving forum

What do you do for fun?
read read read

Virtual Cafe Awards