Introduce yourself!

optimumbarkeep

on the lost coast
Reaction score
Awards
Yo. I make things.

What cancelled sitcom best describes your life?
Don't watch any.

What does vaporwave mean to you?
good vibes on the net

What subgenres are you into?
I like pretty much everything.

How did you find out about this place?
A magazine I found in an old SAAB.

What do you do for fun?
Currently, my working hours means this is video games and walks. Dicking around with friends either in meatspace or games.

Last edited:

Thunderclap99

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Dilbert, the animated sitcom that ran from 1999 to 2000.

What does Vaporwave mean to you?
First of all, it's a good aesthetic. While I really like 80s, 90s and Y2K stuff in general, vaporwave has an interesting dreamy aspect. On can even say that it's a revolt against the incredibly bland design and color choices of our times. Not to mention, old consumerism was so innocent and even inviting. Instead of preacing to you about how evil you are, they just want you to eat the burger. You will eat the Arch Deluxe™ and you will be happy.

Second, for me vaporwave is not really about some big emotional sense of nostalgia, but in essence aspirational chillness. It just feels timeless. I got into the genre thanks to Vapor Memory. I would add the Atmospheric dnb revival as an interesting parallel. I listen to both when working/surfing online.

What subgenres are you most into?
I am not that familiar with Subgenres. I was listening to a lot of Luxury Elite, Windows 96 and PrismCrop Virtual Enterprises lately. As a side note, as I have mentioned I do enjoy that old DNB and Dungeon Synth music as well. If you want retro RPG experience just listen to Kobold.

I used to lurk there, I found this place when the Dead Internet Theory was a hot topic in some circles. I sometimes checked this place. Short answer, spam and googling claims of said spam.

What do you do for fun?
I really love listening to music, and go on long walks. I am glad that autumn is here, so it will be less hot. Due to lacking a proper headset, and the crap place I am living in I unfortunately can't do the two things together anymore.

In general I am just interested in doing creative stuff. I have a ton of ideas, but the grind sucks. Unfortunately that is a thing that can't be outsmarted. I wanna make games, music and sheeit. Moral of the story, start working on this when you are young, and have no standards.

I also enjoy playing games, currently I am messing around with PS1 emulation. I have some JRPGs in my sight.

Katkin

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Introduce yourself:

I am Joan

In school, it would have been "Daria". After school, the British sitcom "Bottom".

Nostalgia for a retro future that never was.

Sovietwave

An interest in Dead Internet Theory brought me here.

What do you do for fun?

I read pen and paper rpgs from the 1980s that I will probably never play again. I am currently obsessed with the obscure British rpg "Maelstrom".

baliebox4916

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Probally the Simpsons and Family Guy
The Simpsons in terms of How Bad Bart and Lisa are Treated
Family Guy in Terms of How Bad Meg is Treated and How Sassy and Childish Stewie is

and then when im out for a walk its like the nes game paperboy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If You Guys Mean Core 90s Vaporwave then it Gives Me Liminal Space Vibes (Like you see in Adult Swim Bumpers)

But When it Comes to Y2K, I Pretty Much Blush like an Anime Girl and then Dance on the Streets (Like Coming Across Anime for the First Time at Age 3)

Y2K, Aetherpunk, Cottagecore, Clockpunk, AnimeCore, Furry, Linuxcore, Macaute, Fantasy, Woodland Goth, Fantasy, Gothic, Spacecore, Western, Sanriocore, Vaporwave, Liminal Spaces

Through Various 90s Y2K References in Wikis and Through Places like the Y2K Aesthetic Institute and Planet99
Thats Why this Place is Called Agora Road After All
A Revolution thats Trying to Bring back the Pre 9/11 World Where BentheLooney and Doknott1999 Failed

What do you do for fun?
Play and Code Video Games, Watch Youtube and Tiktok, Draw Animation Memes and Art, Experiment and Fuck Around with Old Tech, Make Music, Listen to Eurodance/Deep House etc on Stations Like FM 101 The Planet, Drink Coffee and Pepsi, Eat Fast Casual Food and Sleep

Last edited:

RedQueen60

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hi all,
I'm RedQueen60. At this point in life, I've forgotten any cancelled sitcoms I may have once liked, unless you consider X-files a sitcom. It was the last program I remember watching regularly. It was not a sitcom. I used to love Monty Python's Flying Circus. That wasn't a sitcom either - it was a "com" without the "sit." I think that one comes pretty close to describing my life, and now I see someone else mentioned it too, so I'm running with it.

My son makes vaporwave. I'm more of an old '80's metal fan, but I kind of like some of the orchestral stuff. He's more into the Miami Vice vibe though.

I'm here because I miss the old internet. The one I grew up with. The one back when Pong and Oregon Trail was considered hi-tech, and Geocities was a thing. Pre-smartphone, pre-Facebook, pre-automatic updates. I found this by following a deep and long rabbit hole that started out with some obscure video where someone was explaining how and why de-Googling your phone wasn't good enough to disable its more intrusive features. One line of inquiry lead to a link which lead to something else and eventually I found something that was better than what I was originally looking for. It's how my mind works and this happens to me a lot. In this case I found Web 1.0.

I don't have a huge list of hobbies, but most of them involve being outside. I like getting lost in feral places or digging in the dirt and planting stuff. The rest involves reading sci-fi. I like physical books. Big fan of the classics like Heinlein, and also the entire Discworld series which I'm currently re-reading. I guess spelunking internet rabbit holes rounds out the hobby list.

Last edited:

Jungos Revenge

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Howdy. I'm happy to be here. Seems like a pretty cool community to be apart of!

Arrested Development. I always leave people notes. Sometimes I get panicky and I think of Buster. My family is dysfunctional.

Like many, it gives me nostalgic vibes from the 80s. I am not a huge vaporwave listener. However, I do really like Ariel Pink, and vaporwave is making me think of his music, which feels pretty tangential to vaporwave.

Rock/Alt rock/psych rock, R&B, industrial, funk, metal, etc.
Some artists: Nine Inch Nails, the Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, the Flaming Lips, Talking Heads, HEALTH, Devin Townsend, Every Time I Die, TV On The Radio, Deftones, etc.

Lol someone in the r/conspiracy subreddit provided a link to the Dead Internet Theory that's posted here. I enjoyed reading that and browsing around this forum, so I decided to join! I like the vibe here way more than most other sites I've frequented recently. I'm not that into social media anymore (such as facebook, instagram, twitter), and >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk feels so repetitive to me these days. This place feels refreshing, to say the least.

What do you do for fun?
I really enjoy playing the drums. It's my favorite hobby. I also really love playing guitar. Playing music with other people is even better. I love going to shows as well.

I'm an avid hiker too! I really enjoy being outside. I also recently have been getting into mushroom hunting. It is so much fun finding and identifying different species, especially when you find tasty edible ones.

I'm also big into video games. I've been bitten by the FromSoftware bug recently thanks to Elden Ring. I like all sorts of games, though, such as No Mans Sky, The Last of Us, SOME of the Far Cry games, GTA, Halo (during the Bungie days), Red Dead, Doom, Resident Evil, etc etc etc etc.

Last edited:

kekmeleon

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hi there im new!! :D
IT Crowd, have you tried turning off and on again?
cool music genre i guess
Late night Lo-Fi
Some neocities link directory i think
What do you do for fun?
Your mom :mad:

WavingOcean

Golem
Reaction score
Awards
Hello. I am Ocean.

What canceled sitcom best describes your life?
I was never really into sitcoms all that much. If they were on the TV, I'd sit around and watch for a while. But other than that, I don't have any that describe my life.

I'll be honest, Vaporwave is something that I've always took a strange liking to in the back of my mind. I never really involved myself in it all that much, but whenever it was present in any kind of media around me, something about it allured me.
So to answer the question: To me, Vaporwave is an aesthetic that brings on nostalgia for things I've never truly experienced before. It invokes feelings of distant joy and serenity within me.

I still have a lot to explore with Vaporwave, but as of right now I like Hypnagogic Drift and Late Night Lo-Fi.

Disillusion.

What do you do for fun?
I love writing, reading, playing video games, and playing guitar.

I am happy to be here.

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

WavingOcean

Golem
Reaction score
Awards

Machine

Did you know that the end of the world has begun?
Reaction score
Awards
technically am not new here, I used to have an account called Unit K-17, but I lost the password a long time ago >.<

What canceled sitcom describes your life?

Tough question, because I never was a tv-brain growing up, definitely more a compoooterbrain. That said - M*A*S*H* is probably the greatest sitcom of all time, and I definitely feel like Radar O'Reilly more days than not.

What does Vaporwave mean to you

It's a lifestyle, maaaaaaaan
Just kidding- though I think it's probably the best way we have of giving new purpose to old, abandoned media- which preserves it, and lets us get our own use out of it.

Learned about it on 4chan once, never forgot it

What do you do for fun?
I'm a total compooterhead- I like fucking around with systems, collecting old media, hanging out on IRC

Virtual Cafe Awards

Fig

Aimless Wanderer
Reaction score
Awards
Hello everyone, I'm Fig!

I was never big on sitcoms, but my dad got me into Seinfeld. I enjoy that show quite a bit.

Although I never got the experience life in the 80s, I have found that vaporwave and similar genres allow me to experience that life without living there. Also, it's the perfect soundtrack to a late night reflecting session.

Future Funk, classic vaporwave, (I know they're not technically subgenres, but...) synthwave, and retrowave.

The stork game me the url when he dropped off my kid.

What do you do for fun?
Hiking, writing, cybersecurity, and listening to music.

I look forward to all of our future interactions!

Virtual Cafe Awards