Introduce yourself!

WanderingPariah

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
To whom this may concern,
Keeping in line with the previous replies, I too tend to abide by "Lurk, but no post".
I don't remember when, but I know that I found Agora not once, but twice. Once when reading about the Dead Internet Theory. I only bookmarked the OP and forgot about it until I started getting into Vaporwave and found the site again. I've been visiting ever since, but I never felt compelled to make an account.
Perhaps this break in "lying low" monotony will be a riveting change of pace.

heliophane

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
What cancelled sitcom best describes your life?

Arrested Development, but with way less money(at least when I was younger on my Mom's side of the family)

What does Vaporwave mean to you?

A genre of music that is pretty nice to relax to in the summer or drive to

What subgenres are you most into?

A lot of coldsynth, if that counts. I'm also into the cosuin genre, breakcore.

How did you find out about this place?

A post on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk

What do you do for fun?

Go to dead malls and take photos. I'm in the upstate NY area and my 2 favorites I've been to are the Hudson Valley Mall in Kingston and the Sangertown Square Mall in New Hartford. I'm also deeply into JoJo and Dragon Ball, along with enjoying a video game here and there. I also have a vague interest in free and open source software.

Amadis

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Not cancelled but I think Curb your Enthusiasm nails the little fucked up synchronicitys that happen in life that just makes it trash sometimes (although its always memorable). Im not a rich jewish writer but I would love to whine as much as Larry does about inconsequential things that I have to deal with.
What does vaporwave mean to you?
The corporate/depersonalized aspect of it along with the noise seeming parts helped make me the autistic man I am today. The subgenres sort of let me expand my music taste from wherever. I genuinely enjoy it even if its seen as a meme genre.
Vaportrap, Most mashups are pretty good too
Lainchan thread
What do you do for fun?
I get drunk and worldbuild for a game i will never make. Aside from that I like to workout to fight off obesity and existential dread. I like working on little bullshit idea projects so maybe I can find someone on here to collaborate with.

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I went over the list of sitcoms on Wikipedia and discovered that it considers Adventure Time and Ed, Edd n Eddy as sitcoms and I have lost all remaining faith in Wikipedia.
Of actual sitcoms, I'd say Scrubs describes me best. I'm prone to daydreams and my boss reminds me a lot of Cox.
I live in Florida and the music makes my world feel like the bleached-out Miami Vice nostalgic aesthetic it never was. Vaporwave during the day, synthwave at night.
Mallsoft, works with that funky bass or those flutes. Stuff that sounds like the Donkey Kong Country soundtracks. I find voices distracting so listen mostly to instrumental.
4chan /x/ thread on the Dead Internet Theory. Been lurking here since September. I recently had dreams set in weird malls, gave my Linux box a dark mode Windows 95 theme and decided to finally sign up.
What do you do for fun?
Currently active hobbies: Weightlifting, watching older anime or anime based on older manga, permaculture gardening, managing a private media server filled with obscure stuff for my kids to watch someday, reading, doing Tarot and rune divination (DM me for free shitty readings), finding ways to make healthy tasty food with as little effort as possible (made soy-free mayo recently because the store-bought is $8 a jar wtf), Linux gaming, Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu
Inactive hobbies: Scuba diving, rock climbing, running tabletop RPGs (pandemic killed my groups), board games, sailboat living.

Virtual Cafe Awards

napata

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

Community, the only sitcom that I keep rewatching

My from time-to-time BGM

Swancore!

Trying to find the psychotic deer greentext, and found it's posted here through google

What do you do for fun?

Draw pixel art, make 3-D model, find random stuff to listen to

Virtual Cafe Awards

upallnight

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
upallnight.wtf
Hello! I go by upallnight. I was initially made aware of Agora Road since I've been in and around the vaporwave community for a number of years, but I've never taken the plunge to register until now. The idea of a relatively chill, active forum in 2023 sounds pretty swell in comparison to what else is out there.

Some of my hobbies include spending time with my family, playing video games, maintaining my website, writing, and, since 2018, making vaporwave/dark ambient music. I look forward to spending time with you all!

Last edited:

Eden

Did You Get My Message?
Reaction score
Awards
Website
foreverliketh.is
Hello! I go by upallnight. I was initially made aware of Agora Road since I've been in and around the vaporwave community for a number of years, but I've never taken the plunge to register until now. The idea of a relatively chill, active forum in 2023 sounds pretty swell in comparison to what else is out there.

Some of my hobbies include spending time with my family, playing video games, maintaining my website, writing, and, since 2018, making vaporwave/dark ambient music. I look forward to spending time with you all!
Nice site, yo! Welcome to Agora Road. :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

rardude

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
>What cancelled sitcom best describes your life?
crap i don't know any sitcoms aside from seinfeld and that one with devito
>What does Vaporwave mean to you?
a lot of colors between purple and orange
>What subgenres are you most into?
fat scout
>How did you find out about this place?
an article
>What do you do for fun?
think about doing something fun

strawman

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hello everyone

What canceled sitcom best describes your life?

The only sitcom I have really seen is Seinfeld which I love and have seen over and over. Always really related to all the characters in some way, especially Kramer.

I've always really loved sci-fi, and especially the vibe and feel of old 80s and 90s sci-fi, like the original Blade Runner, Akira, Ghost in a shell, Total Recall, the Matrix, Cowboy bebop (which I started recently and shouldve watched ages ago) etc. I also really love jazz and japanese city pop. Vaporwave gives me the sound of city pop and the atmosphere of those old Sci Fi movies.
Also nostalgic as during my highschooler years me and my friend would stay up super late playing Minecraft together and I remember we would just listen to these same vaporwave and lofi playlist as we mined in silence until like 3am.

What subgenres are you most into.

Synthwave, latenight lofi, broken transmission. I Would really like to find more subgenres and songs from people here.

A friend told me about this place a while ago and I used to just read some of the stories on here, but now I decided to actually make an account.

What do you do for fun?
I like to consume and stare into the void.
Recently been getting into writing, and trying to read allot more fiction and poetry.
I also love to explore new and try to create my own music.
I also like to explore in the wilderness when I cam, and have recently been getting into gardening,
Mainly I just watch the same movies on repeat over and over.

Fracksi

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I can't say there is one. I did not watch any sitcoms growing up. One of my parental advisory units would purchase TV boxsets and dvd's from the cheap bins growing up. Going off those I would say that I enjoyed Quantum Leap, Sliders, and X-Files more than the others.

I really dig the slow down and reverb in vaporwave. It reminds me of an old friend I need to make more time to see, as they're into it much more and contribute to many bandcamp artists who sell cassettes of their work.

I think generic lofi, but some future funk too. (Personally I'm more of a synthwave person)

Saw a post on Fortune referencing a username that I googled, and this site was one of three results. I dig the aesthetics and got even more interested seeing the old 00's style message board images.

What do you do for fun?
Really just study and try to learn more about computers and hope I can be like Case or Molly one day. Or at least learn enough about security to fight off the hoards of AI-Adbots ten years from now as they try to project Whoppers into my subconcious while I'm asleep.

Deckade

aspiring bussin neo-hypefluencer
Reaction score
Awards
Sitcom?
Peep show, because I'm in love with the idea of being a demotivated individual who provides absolutely nothing of value to society, plus British people are kinda funny

User generated modern culture, big synth energy, big ass Japanese text, big pink and purple

Cool 90s music you find in movies, Spanish guitar, amateur European, sexy hot mama sexa fiesta:RandySavage:

I was a melonland user but checked this out after constantly seeing it come up everywhere I browsed

What do you do for fun?
Walk around my nightlife district, corner people in elevators and talk to them about why society is heading in a terrible direction and there's no saving us, create plots for movies and books I'm probably never going to make or write

Criminal Background?
Nothing especially notable: history of piracy, tax fraud, and serial murder sprees. Done 5 Years in the iron birdhouse all up

See you around? :Pepebaby:

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards

In my twenties, it would have been IT Crowd at work and The Big Bang Theory at home (first few seasons only). However, now I am in my thirties (very very late thirties), I am not sure as I don't really watch TV much anymore, and what I have watched in the past has not really covered my life during the last 10 years.

Nostalgia mainly. That and something to either help work or help chill.

I am not sure of the correct terminology for the subgenres or if these are subgenres at all but my favourite vaporwave-like music are: Lo-fi, solarpunk/futuristic (for chill), cyberpunk/futuristic (for work), retrowave, and trance. When it comes to other music I am not fussy and tend to swap between multiple genres of music depending on mood, going from rap to bubblepop, to dance, sometimes all in one day.

Having used the Internet since the '90s, I have been slowly feeling that there is something off about it. Over the years I removed myself from social media (or never joined new ones when they came out), and finally got rid of the last one this year. However, I missed the interaction and it got me feeling nostalgia for the '90s and '00s Internet. I went down a 'rabbit hole' of searching for "old" forum-style websites and found this one. After a quick browse, I felt like it is somewhere I could fit in.

What do you do for fun?

Mess around on my PC (I have run Linux for 20+ years so love to tinker), playing computer games, learning the ukulele, a nice pub lunch, cycling and walks, general geeking out.

MarinaraSauce

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hello netizens, I've had a few screen names but my current one is MarinaraSauce. Glad I found such a unique community that's still active or on the internet.

The aesthetics and music of Vaporwave give this feeling of ease while also treading into an ethereal unknown that I never personally experienced on the internet. It feels more genuine and free as opposed to other styles that have become popular with the internet.

Synthwave and City pop have always been big favorites.

Through >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, had disdain for that platform for awhile and was lucky to be recommended this site.

What do you do for fun?
Tinker with software, using and repairing some retro hardware (want to do this more), gaming, and touching grass as everyone should for exercise and spending time with family, friends, and loved ones.

Duskwielder

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
What cancelled sitcom best describes your life? I'm not entirely certain, Reba comes to mind; for I grew up in a broken family, addlepated sibling, an a whacky upbringing.

An mix of various expression both for chilled and relax sorts and amped up for those wanting a quick step to a wonderfully loud beat. A swirl of colourful emotion, as well as a few other oddities.

I like too many yo count, but post-internet might take the frosting of the cake.

I saw it carved out in a shitty restroom stall, with insults etched beneath it like on an image board.

What do you do for fun?

Lots of things, reading, tinkering, traveling, games, talking on various subject, list goes on.

Digital Cheese

Learning German Lets Gooooo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
digitalcheese.xyz
I found out from this link when searching through Neocities.
What do you do for fun?
I usually just use the internet and mess around with HTML/CSS and kinda do it with JavaScript. Thats kinda what I do most days. I usually just stay on 3DSPaint, Guilded, or email now with a few forums like this one. I use the FireFox developer browser usually which I found out existed due to my friend SoulDJ673. I play Halo 2 pretty frequently, usually MCC or the original but I recently installed Project Cartographer so I will be playing on that more I can tell.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eden

Did You Get My Message?
Reaction score
Awards
Website
foreverliketh.is
I found out from this link when searching through Neocities.
What do you do for fun?
I usually just use the internet and mess around with HTML/CSS and kinda do it with JavaScript. Thats kinda what I do most days. I usually just stay on 3DSPaint, Guilded, or email now with a few forums like this one. I use the FireFox developer browser usually which I found out existed due to my friend SoulDJ673. I play Halo 2 pretty frequently, usually MCC or the original but I recently installed Project Cartographer so I will be playing on that more I can tell.
Welcome to Agora Road, yo.

Virtual Cafe Awards

leo_boom

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Arrested Development.

Just before 2016, before the world turned upside down. Still at university. Pink room, busts of an ancient Greek on a pedestal, me typing away in search of meaning.

No idea. Haven't really delved far enough into the sub genres to get a sense of it. Any recommendations?

Saw someone mention 'schizowave' in a tweet yesterday. Went googling, found a reference to this forum. Thought it looked cool, authentic, a throwback to when the internet was human and not an isolating, corporate disaster.

What do you do for fun?
Play video games, watch sport, write (need to do more), drink to excess.