Is autism overdiagnosed?

• Thread starter Aral
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 4496 times.

andreixyz

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
andrei.xyz
The internet is filled with self-declared autists, because it brings attention to them. Many of them are just utter shit people, with nothing of value or nothing of interest in their life and they choose this as their "HEY LOOK AT ME" method. The kind of people that use autism as a front for being lazy (procrastination doesn't exist, you're just fucking lazy), incompetent (you're not autistic, you're just shit at the thing you're doing), rejected by society (you're not autistic, you're just too fucking stupid and socially awkward from playing Metin2 for 18 fucking hours a day).

It's another "flavor of the month" condition that's being milked by uninteresting attention whores in hope they are given some attention. It's not the only one at the moment, and others will definitely follow (inb4: DAE blind i can't even?).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
It's kind of weird how Asperger's Syndrome was completely merged into autism. The DSM-V made it so that, despite their new "level" system, a professor at a university and someone who is completely nonverbal have the same diagnosis, just with different support levels.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
It's kind of weird how Asperger's Syndrome was completely merged into autism. The DSM-V made it so that, despite their new "level" system, a professor at a university and someone who is completely nonverbal have the same diagnosis, just with different support levels.
I'm still confused by that, i always heard people saying that "is not asperger no more" which really confuses me because i remember it was a thing to categorize high functionality but that are also part of the autistic spectrum, like me with STPD, i suffer from it but STPD is just a mild Schizophrenia, i suffer from many traits of schizophrenia but i'm aware my hallucinations are not real for example.

Hell even my best friend from highschool was diagnosed with "asperger" by his therapist, and i wonder, why did it changed exactly? I mean, i think it was a more easy way to categorize high level and low level functionality individuals.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
i always wondered what these people even wanted out of a diagnosis - there's no treatment for it and many of them will insist that it's not a disability and they don't need treatment anyway. i guess it really is just about feeling special.
The main thing a diagnosis can help adults with is accommodations (you can also go the research route in which case there's a lot more, but my following point still stands). The funny thing is that a lot of places are hardasses and want a full workup. Here's a >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk comment about embrace-autism:
I got my assessment done through embrace autism and it was great, highly recommend! None of the bs I've seen from other places (IQ tests, parental input, long hours, etc.). The process was clearly designed by an autistic person who gets that face to face contact is difficult and we often express ourselves better in writing. It was incredibly validating to speak to Dr Engelbrecht and she helped me understand that I also have ADHD, which I wouldn't have known otherwise.
That "BS" is exactly what is needed to differentiate ASD from other, similarly presenting disorders. I also like how they got a "bonus" diagnosis of ADHD lmao.

Virtual Cafe Awards

starbreaker

over 9,000 gods rejected
Reaction score
Awards
Website
starbreaker.org
I think the shrinks just got tired of hearing about assburgers.

gwen

戈文
Reaction score
Awards
I wonder how people will respond to this perspective
it's not that autism is caused by vaccines or environmental factors

the spike is just caused by the internet and people who are a small minority of people irl realizing they all are the same

onlookers look on and think "oh god i must be autistic too" and usually they're right

i think the way civilization operates is just antithetical to however autistic people's brains work, but not everyone is 100% disabled from it, in fact id reckon the majority of people aren't

when autism was noticed and then pathologized, we were only introduced to the tip of the iceberg, now you are seeing the whole damb burg come above the sealine

i think lots of people just mask, like so many that you have families that have been autistic and masking for generations, i mean what else can you do? you just have to survive

what the internet and even moreso just people rediscovering tribal archetypes (psychology) has done is shine a light on the people who have been forced to fit in for generations and forgot they were even trying to fit in and allowed them to say "hey i think i don't wanna do this anymore, actually." and i think that's great

it's not that there's more autistic people or a spike cus vaccines or people "faking" it, it's that people have been faking being "normal" for hundreds if not thousands of years since being born and raised in these man made societal systems for the sole purpose of keeping it all afloat

Virtual Cafe Awards