Is autism overdiagnosed?

• Thread starter Aral
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 4372 times.

"Imagine a society that subjects people to conditions that make them terribly unhappy then gives them the drugs to take away their unhappiness. Science fiction It is already happening to some extent in our own society. Instead of removing the conditions that make people depressed modern society gives them antidepressant drugs. In effect antidepressants are a means of modifying an individual's internal state in such a way as to enable him to tolerate social conditions that he would otherwise find intolerable."​

― Theodore Kaczynski​

edit: reminds me of MCR - teenagers

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

vect0r

If ASD is indeed "over-diagnosed", then it could lead to problems and inconveniences for people that are more likely to have ASD. Depending on where you live it can be very difficult to receive any aid from the government due to the systems in place already being over-encumbered and inefficient (which ultimately leaves most people no choice but to accept higher prices by switching to private alternatives). I am Autistic and from experience it can unfortunately be a bureaucratic nightmare to be aided by government programs.

Personally, I believe it to be a mixture of there being more mentally-ill people than can be accommodated as of 2023 and general under-funding/under-staffing. I don't believe ASD is being over-diagnosed; but in the event that it actually is it would be adding more "weight" to an already slow system.

I don't mind it but it's generally not "fun" to be Autistic, neurotypicals would see it as a burden. Though I think there are some benefits to having ASD, I don't understand why children would want it. It could be because they're Normalfags that, by their tradition, try to be something that they aren't to seem unique when they lack the base ability for such. So I'm suggesting gatekeeping Autism might be a solution to "Pseudo-Autists". I haven't met one yet.

housepoopr

I don't mind it but it's generally not "fun" to be Autistic, neurotypicals would see it as a burden. Though I think there are some benefits to having ASD, I don't understand why children would want it. It could be because they're Normalfags that, by their tradition, try to be something that they aren't to seem unique when they lack the base ability for such. So I'm suggesting gatekeeping Autism might be a solution to "Pseudo-Autists". I haven't met one yet.

I am on the spectrum, and I am a high functioning autist, but I think there are a number of people that equate being different with being good. I also think there are a non-trivial amount of white children that have been indoctrinated into hating themselves, because whatever "whiteness" is has been deemed bad or evil. So they look for outs, whether or not they are conscious of it is entirely unknown.

I mean, if you make the identity of a person evil, by virtue of existing and then celebrate alternative lifestyles and identities, whether or not the "educators" know this or not, they are presenting children them they can be special/celebrated/effectively immune if they are adhd, autistic, or lgbt, yo

We all know that you can't criticize a victim, this is why so much of the world is interested in having a label that explains it. A lot of people truly are on the spectrum for ASD, yours included, but many more of them are seeing it on tiktok and applying it to themselves to be popular.

Social contagions come about when people popularize things like autism and tourettes syndrome for clout and avoidance of being the social outcast.

gsyme

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Everyone's making this complicated what with different social conditions and iPad kids, etc, when it's really simple:

In psychology, there's this big book called the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual. It's basically the bible of mental illnesses and their diagnostic criteria. The first one came out after WWII as a statistical manual of behavioural issues soldiers were observed having, and has had updates since then, with one major one being the changes from DSM-II to DSM-III when homosexuality was removed as a disorder.

From 1994 - 2013, we were on DSM-IV. After 2013, they released DSM-V which changed a bunch of things.

DSM-IV autism needed 2/4 of diagnostic criteria to be present and could not be diagnosed in tandem with ADD/ADHD.

DSM-V autism only needs 1/4 diagnostic criteria, can be diagnosed in tandem with ADD/ADHD, and now there's this whole category of similar ASD disorders that just add to the number of potential symptoms that you only have to hit 1 of in order to be "on the spectrum".

So, for most of the conscious childhood of zoomers, autism has been significantly easier to diagnose than it was for millennials and prior, who would have mostly been diagnosed under DSM-IV's "harder" rules.

Voicedrew

Take the monarchy pill anon
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
voicedrew.xyz
It is over diagnosed, and thankfully my childhood psychologist did not jump the gun on a diagnosis. I have CAPD, which makes it so that sometimes sounds aren't processed by my brain, even though I hear them. It has gotten significantly better since I was a child, and now I only have issues in extremely specific circumstances (like intense concerts, for example).

chart.png

From this chart, the only symptom I have, that is not related to CAPD, is B.3.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Voicedrew

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
voicedrew.xyz
There is another side to this, though. Undiagnosed autism can be absolutely devastating. I had a friend who I worked with last summer, and he, after working with him for 8 hours, would walk home with me and then hang out at my house for another 3 hours.

It was fine at first, but then it became very taxing on me. It felt like I was working 13 hour days, 5 days a week. I didn't want to be blunt about how little I appreciated the situation, so when he would come to my house, I would immediately start doing chores and other menial work. There were a bunch of other things I tried to do, like telling him I have something to do after work, only for him to show up at my house later anyway. It became very difficult to tolerate.

I would spend most of my day with him, and spoke in a very intimidating fashion. He also would speak constantly about touhou, touhou music, and would show me touhou art. Even when it was clear, I did not care.

One day, after about 2 months of these shenanigans, he asked me if I enjoy him coming to my home every day. I said, "Well, I do want to relax when I get off work". I know, very beta cuck of me, but it did the trick. I resented him for a while after this, but then about 6 months later he told me he had been diagnosed with autism recently. A lot of his behaviour made sense, and it became clear to me that he was not intentionally ignoring my social queues and being rude on purpose. With this in mind, it waay easier to communicate with him.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Neglect leads to misanthropy that is then diagnosed as "autism" - previously aspergers. It just means you don't take shit from people anymore and they cope and say that means you can't interpret social cues.
feels on-demand, or manchausen by proxy, some of those cases...
reminds me of
1692907252531.png

Attachments

• 1692907252891.png
    1692907252891.png
    622.6 KB · Views: 16
Virtual Cafe Awards

Voicedrew

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
voicedrew.xyz
Neglect leads to misanthropy that is then diagnosed as "autism"
these 'misanthropes' who supposedly hate humanity are often suspiciously over enthusiastic about talking to people. :BOGGED:

Virtual Cafe Awards

alix

Empress of the Transburg Dinasty
Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixxd.neocities.org
I would spend most of my day with him, and spoke in a very intimidating fashion. He also would speak constantly about touhou, touhou music, and would show me touhou art. Even when it was clear, I did not care.
Was he by any change from Guatemala?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Also muddying the waters are weirdos on tiktok (but also >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk) who "self diagnose" as having a pervasive developmental disorder. /r/aspergers has had polls where they ask members whether they've been officially diagnosed or self diagnosed and a huge portion (1/3 to 1/2) were self diagnosed. They then proceed to talk about how a formal diagnosis would do nothing for them despite not even knowing whats out there (again because they're not diagnosed)

Virtual Cafe Awards

starbreaker

over 9,000 gods rejected
Reaction score
Awards
Website
starbreaker.org
tl;dr: Whether I'm actually autistic or not, I don't owe anybody else their idea of "normal". Don't presume to admiralty over my soul when you can barely captain your own.

I was diagnosed as autistic relatively late in life, as a middle-aged adult. It could be a misdiagnosis. It could be that my problem is actually CPTSD, childhood emotional neglect, or just me trying to adapt to life under totalitarian capitalism. I'm not convinced it matters, because being a man should mean being more than a miserable little pile of labels.

However, I think autism seems overdiagnosed because the definition has expanded. If I was autistic enough to get diagnosed as a kid in the early 1980s, I would have been autistic enough to be institutionalized. Instead, I was able to get by through repression and masking, though we didn't call it masking back then either. We just called it "acting like a normal fucking human being".

However, I'm kinda happy that I was diagnosed. If I ever needed a license or an excuse to be me and not some other ignorant cunt's idea of "normal", my diagnosis would do nicely. The thing is, I'm a grown-ass man who works full time, pays his bills, pays his taxes, loves his wife, owns a house, votes, participates in local politics, and is generally a "good citizen". I don't, and should not, need permission to be "weird". If I am "eccentric", but not actually hurting anybody, other people can fucking well deal with it or stay the fuck out of my way.

Frankly, I think it's rich that anybody here is opining on whether autism is "overdiagnosed". Frankly, if you're posting anywhere on the internet at all, including this forum, then you have no standing to claim that you're normal or to judge other people. The vast majority of people on the internet don't post, don't comment, and don't create. They just consume.

Last edited:

Descarte Yee

The 4th musketeer
Reaction score
Awards
It's over diagnosed alright, but not in your case.
It dovetails a bit with my post of a few months ago about neurodivergence being the new cool stuff to be diagnosed with, but I see so many people being diagnosed late with autism, and that generally my generation (zoomers) seems obsessed with autism. It looks like the era of diagnosing every kid who is being a kid with ADHD is over, now everyone and their mother has autism.

It makes me wonder whether there are truly more autistic people that weren't detected before or simply if it's another overdiagnosed condition like ADHD. Trauma can make you display symptoms that can seem autistic and the culture we live in seems to increase the risks of autistic-like behaviour (tech addiction, especially in young children, who magically seem to lose their autism and catch back up on language and social skills once you take them off Cocomelon and daddy's phone/iPad), not to mention the norms' goalposts being constantly moved and the very unnatural behaviours and habits the society we live in imposes on us. Autism is now a spectrum, not so much a condition in itself, and I feel iffy about it: that means more and more of the population who doesn't stand this very unnatural way of being could fall under 'autistic spectrum disorder', which would imply that THEY are the ones with a problem, when in fact it's the society we live in that has a problem and repeatedly and chronically traumatizes us and keeps us in a state of constant hypervigilance.

On one hand I think some people, especially women and girls, fall under the radar and are truly autistic, but on the other, it feels like there are way too many autistics diagnosed for it to be "real". I don't put into question the reality of autism itself, don't get me wrong (although I don't think many people would get me wrong on here, it's not Twatter where they literally analyze your tweet just to find something to reproach you or attack you about, but just in case...) simply questioning whether it's truly autism in the majority of cases or something else. It can even be a completely logical and normal reaction to a very illogical and abnormal environment. We aren't so different from our cavemen ancestors, despite what modernity wants to push on us.

What do you think? I condensed my thinking a bit in this post as to not make a huge ass wall of text, and also because I'm not sure whether I'm saying bullshit or saying something that holds truth.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
What am I supposed to make of this?????? Oh is this chris-chan?
(It is Chris Chan)

HE WALKS FREE, JUST AS HE PREDICTED. BRETHEN, PREPARE FOR THE DIMENSIONAL MERGE.

Personally, I can't wait to meet my waifu gf.

Virtual Cafe Awards