Is leaving the internet the end goal?

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
100%. The internet now is a shadow of its former self, carefully designed to drain your energy at cost of your mental health to keep your attention. You could say the internet "grew up" into something corrupted. It's just not worth it to follow current social media anymore. And even if you recognize it, breaking out of the cycle is extremely challenging, especially when you want to stay in-touch with distant friends. It's just so cruel.
That's why I think most of us are here on Agora, to escape that hell, but also to reminiscine about the better times. And we've changed, too.
We are in the endgame now, and hopefully the future will allow us to continue living a life where we can healthily balance real life and the (still) good parts of the internet.
I'm glad to hear that people here share this. Cheers.
Coming from who tried to become a content creator (Youtube Producer/ Video Edits) the social media marketing/networking became extremely exhausting and drained my passion for what I was doing. I've since taken a break from music and videos to spend more of my free time with my 4 year old son and spend time with my IRL friends and I couldn't be happier. I might wind up just being stuck at a dead end job, but at this point I'm okay with it because I feel like I'm free of using the internet to get ahead. Constant pretentious interactions with other people within the scene and being bombarded with adds for promotion/equipment/etc... It really ruins the magic. When I realized I wasn't doing it for fun anymore and only for likes, plays and money I took a step back. Maybe I'll start making music again someday, but it'll probably just be alone in my room for myself only. I simply can't create something that feels half-assed to appease some followers. I'd rather do something because I'm passionate about it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
They are right... you eventually come back. Sorry for being so dramatic before...

Attachments

• bd411f8a4961082a1d21c5967b3490aa-2545227293.jpg
    bd411f8a4961082a1d21c5967b3490aa-2545227293.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 1699413842527.png
    1699413842527.png
    682.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Z0diacK

NOT A SCHIZO
Reaction score
Awards

So I am posting in this thread for a few reasons; I didn't want to make yet another thread for these kinds of posts because that feels... kinda pointless? But a profile post wasn't going to be large enough.

The feeling has crept up on me for some time that I should leave Agora. Less that I want to, but more that I should. In a few days I will delete this account. Maybe I'll come back after some time has passed, or maybe I never will.
For that last year and a half I have been here nearly every day. In fact I've had days where I spent a lot of it on here, hanging around chat or reading long threads. The changes in my attitudes in that time has definitely been influenced by this place, I mean that in a good way.
I have had a lot of emotional turmoil in my life very recently, and my workload at university increasing; at the same time I feel like I am at the precipice of realizing a grander form of myself, but I know that it cannot be an automatic process, it demands my intervention at this time to carry it out. Leaving Agora is only a quite small part of the larger plan to cut up and restructure my life into an ideal. I've been doing that in various ways already the last few weeks, and have suspected Agora must be on the chopping block. Maybe it's silly, but this place really does mean a lot to me.
I won't be totally offline. I said a while ago I had a project in the works; I've been creating a textboard which I'm launching soon, it will be dedicated to discussing dreams and out-of-body experiences. If you lurk lainchan, you may spot a link to it in a few weeks. I don't go there anymore but I feel like it'd be a good place to get people on it.

I am greatly appreciative of every user that contributed to Agora Road. I'd like to give thanks to a few of my favourite users; Collision, Remember Summer Days, Aral, RisingThumb, vect0r, Caspar, No56, and redactedXXX. Thank you IlluminatiPirate for maintaining the best vaporwave forum on the web.

analpope signing out.

Godspeed. May the DDR in you never die.

Virtual Cafe Awards

HammerKoopa

The King of the Walruses //セイウチキング
Reaction score
Awards
Website
walrus-island.neocities.org

So I am posting in this thread for a few reasons; I didn't want to make yet another thread for these kinds of posts because that feels... kinda pointless? But a profile post wasn't going to be large enough.

The feeling has crept up on me for some time that I should leave Agora. Less that I want to, but more that I should. In a few days I will delete this account. Maybe I'll come back after some time has passed, or maybe I never will.
For that last year and a half I have been here nearly every day. In fact I've had days where I spent a lot of it on here, hanging around chat or reading long threads. The changes in my attitudes in that time has definitely been influenced by this place, I mean that in a good way.
I have had a lot of emotional turmoil in my life very recently, and my workload at university increasing; at the same time I feel like I am at the precipice of realizing a grander form of myself, but I know that it cannot be an automatic process, it demands my intervention at this time to carry it out. Leaving Agora is only a quite small part of the larger plan to cut up and restructure my life into an ideal. I've been doing that in various ways already the last few weeks, and have suspected Agora must be on the chopping block. Maybe it's silly, but this place really does mean a lot to me.
I won't be totally offline. I said a while ago I had a project in the works; I've been creating a textboard which I'm launching soon, it will be dedicated to discussing dreams and out-of-body experiences. If you lurk lainchan, you may spot a link to it in a few weeks. I don't go there anymore but I feel like it'd be a good place to get people on it.

I am greatly appreciative of every user that contributed to Agora Road. I'd like to give thanks to a few of my favourite users; Collision, Remember Summer Days, Aral, RisingThumb, vect0r, Caspar, No56, and redactedXXX. Thank you IlluminatiPirate for maintaining the best vaporwave forum on the web.

analpope signing out.

Safe travels and may we run into eachother in a different corner of the internet. The few interactions we had were quite pleasant and i will definitely miss your contributions to the DDR thread, Godspeed traveler!

Virtual Cafe Awards

WKYK

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Reaction score
Awards
Website
wkyk.neocities.org

analpope signing out.

You were always a fav poster of mine even though we didn't interact much, it's sad to see you go but I'm happy you're moving forward in your life. Take care :RandySavage:

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards

analpope signing out.

Gg Ez Gg Skill Issue GIF - Gg Ez Gg Skill Issue Orin - Discover & Share GIFs

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kyou

prodaucet by 戯画 2004
Reaction score
Awards

analpope signing out.

Listen. While I know we haven't interacted much, and to the extent that back while I was still known as Rhodes I thought that maybe you had me blocked on here, I really always have appreciated your posts. Honestly I've kind of seen you as some sort of rival, like my fellow zoomer whom I have to try and out-mature, because really I do respect you a lot. I get what you mean, loving this place and letting it change you and wanting to leave. Good luck out there, cowboy.

See you in three months.

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards

analpope signing out.

Good luck out there fren :agsmile:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Venomnik0

Weary Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I only use Agora Road, Youtube (and recently discord, but only for Xandra's Server), and my university website, tbh if i wanted to i could leave internet totally (as the time i went off a whole month in december, i didn't touch internet at all), but i'm kinda forced due to college.
Honestly, I'm shocked how much college relies on the modern internet. Either way that and my degree are the only real things preventing me from truly leaving the internet. Especially for how much the internet has become an addicting pile of constant drama and advertising. I swear even friend groups and group chats aren't normal anymore. They either have their own cliques that actively make you feel uninvited or they have so many rules and policies and specific things "you have to do" that at this point it isn't easy anymore even simply interacting with people on the internet.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Since I've joined the agora, my internet usage has decreased dramatically. I mean, I stopped using instagram, facebook, and twitter 5 years ago or so, but now I barely even use youtube or discord. I log onto the agora whenever I take a break from work and hang out a few minutes at a time. Even now I'm getting into the habit of leaving my smartphone in the car whenever I go somewhere, as that thing has the habit of demanding your attention some way or another.

Since implementing those changes I've noticed I'm happier and calmer, it seems like before my mind couldn't take a proper break and wind down. I'm still planning on leveraging the internet to make money, but maybe the end game is to use it as little as possible? What do you guys think?
That's the goal, brother. Ideally you'd want a rich social and personal life, the web is something I turned to due to having a dull life. Once you find yourself slowly leaving the web, that's when you know you're on the right track.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Hm, rereading my OG post, I'd say my internet use has increased since then, but I have a much healthier with the content I consume. It has become more of a choice and less of an impulse.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Digital Cheese

Learning German Lets Gooooo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
digitalcheese.xyz
Yes the end goal of joining Agora is to finally just leave the internet forever and write a manifesto about the industrial revolution and why it's consequences for society have been a disaster for the human race.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eden

Did You Get My Message?
Reaction score
Awards
Website
foreverliketh.is
I wrote the following primarily as a response to this thread, for your consideration:
Internet Usage

EDIT: Opening:
Back in August, I mentioned wanting to "touch grass" more. On the off chance I need to justify that goal for you, reader, consider the following:

The phrase "terminally online" has its own Wikipedia page.

People, myself included, have (ironically) taken to calling the Unabomber: "Uncle Ted" as if, while "eccentric", he was maybe "onto something" / "looking out for us".

Anyone unable to recognize that the digital age has got life out of whack– well, as my students might say: "they're an NPC".

In that vein, I'd like to give my two cents on a prevalent sentiment you're likely to find on your expeditions across cyberspace:

The thought that "true freedom / peace / happiness / contentment" can only be found in abandoning the Internet entirely. That anything "less" is a "second rate sacrifice"; or a "cope".

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards