Is there a game that made you feel heavily sad, for no apparent reason whatsoever?

cynxdd

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Probably Destiny 1. I never had that close of a connection to it because I was kinda young when it released but when I booted it up again in February of this year and seeing the empty tower it just made me fucking cry.

Attachments

• d1tower.jpg
    d1tower.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 57

狐 Shrine

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Although slightly embarrassing, I can't help but feel melancholy whenever I think of WoW. Similarly to others in this thread, I guess I am just nostalgic since I played it a lot growing up. I miss the feeling of being a part of a giant living, breathing world populated by others. No matter how hard modern MMO's tried, it just isn't the same. It makes me sad knowing that I will always be longing for the same experience but will never be able to feel it again. At least I will always have the OST:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW4fASDkQXA

Virtual Cafe Awards
When I first beat Earthbound, I started to cry when Paula was praying for everyone to help to beat Giygas, Earthbound was a game that I remember watching my brother play on an emulator when I was younger, I remember my brother was never able to fully beat the game (something would always happen, the file would get corrupted or something). I remember once I got old enough , my brother begged me to play it, I've always had a hard time with older unforgiving games (the ones that don't come with easy mode), I have this weird fear of failure (even with games, yes, I know its dumb), but I mustered enough courage to play when I found an online emulator for it. I was able to remember most of the tips that my brother used during his playthroughs, and for the other half of the game, I used a guide (even though, I STILL felt helpless even with a guide). I got to the end where you have to use Paula's prayer move to use the energy from all the characters you met on your journey to beat Giygas.

I don't know if it was the fact that I was surprised that I was able to get that far into the game without dying repeatedly, how it was so beautiful how everyone came together to help Ness and the gang beat Giygas or thinking about the times I would stay up past my bedtime to watch my brother play Earthbound sitting on a really uncomfortable chair we had in the den that was basically falling apart at the seams on the cushion, but I didn't care, I just wanted to see if my brother would finally be able to beat the game this time, I just wanted to spend time with my brother.
I just started sobbing, uncontrollably, I was still proud of myself though, I didn't stop crying until the part where Ness takes Paula home in the post-game.

I remember calling my brother and him being both surprised and proud that I was able to beat a game that he couldn't even beat.

(I forgot to mention, it took me 3 days to beat the game and it was during the time my brother moved away from home from the first time because of his job, so I guess that hit me in a way too)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I get this feeling of a profound, deep sadness pretty much every time I touch something genuinely good and kind. Without a doubt because of the stark contrast with my reality. Sometimes it spirals out of control into outright depression and drinking sessions.
Stuff like Phoenotopia or Threads Of Fate would serve nicely as an example. Maybe I just shouldn't have positive things and stick to racing and, I don't know, DOOM or whatever.

View: https://skyqode.bandcamp.com/album/the-fog

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

nezuchi

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
pinchese.github.io
i feel this way when i play portal
or flower by thatgamecompany

just like, indescribable sadness that doesn't really come from anywhere, but you just feel like you're close to crying

i wanna have more experiences like this, despite yk the sadness, something feels good about something so insignificant making me emotional like that

GENOSAD

...or something equally edgy.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
genosadness.neocities.org
For me, it was Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter. More specifically, the Watersong chapter where Mayor Rose is about to give her soul to her own son because of her failures as the town's mayor. This was a game intended for kids, and I was about 8 or so at the time, so it was something that hit me really heavy.
Not to mention the ending, which does come out of nowhere and isn't exactly earned, but as an emotionally unstable child it still crushed me. Basically, it's revealed that the events of the first two games were actually the dreams of some kid in a coma after a car crash. The loss of color in the world is actually meant to be symbolic of death. Again, something that was way too heavy for my little boy brain to handle.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nada

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Fallout New Vegas

I don't want to commit a genocide and make Veronica sad, she's been on my side for a long time and she's like my courier's little sister. However, I don't want to betray and kill Mr. House either, because I sympathize with his intentions for NV, also he saved the courier and gave him a nice home.

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

CaptainStrider

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
For me, it was Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter. More specifically, the Watersong chapter where Mayor Rose is about to give her soul to her own son because of her failures as the town's mayor. This was a game intended for kids, and I was about 8 or so at the time, so it was something that hit me really heavy.
Not to mention the ending, which does come out of nowhere and isn't exactly earned, but as an emotionally unstable child it still crushed me. Basically, it's revealed that the events of the first two games were actually the dreams of some kid in a coma after a car crash. The loss of color in the world is actually meant to be symbolic of death. Again, something that was way too heavy for my little boy brain to handle.

The ending did come out of nowhere. I don't think something like that can ever be replicated in a kids game ever again unfortunately.

iwanttogoback

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Rayman 2, the first time i played it i felt a weird feeling that i haven't felt playing a game in a long time, i felt like a kid again playing on a ps2 in front of the tv. It wasn't nostalgia because that was my first time playing Rayman 2, I think it's the style of PS2 games that gives me that feeling. Or I don't know, maybe I'm just schizophrenic and getting more and more crazy.
Rayman 2 and the series to an extent have this very unique feeling you won't find anywhere else. it's very mystical with some parts being eerie and very disturbing while others have this very relaxing and serene feeling. Its hard to pinpoint but the aesthetics of it alone just feel you with emotions

serbanstein

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't say "for no reason", but the Hello Charlotte series. oml that game. It's the only game that made me feel a strong negative emotion that isn't pvp rage.

My Summer Car, a game about a young Finnish man working on an old shitbox, eating sausages and drinking beer.

View attachment 93682

It's not an 'emotional' game at all, but there was one unexpected moment of sadness and nostalgia. It reminded me of my first car that I owned for 9 years before entropy consumed it with rust. It reminded me of my dream to keep that car until my end, and hopefully to pass it on to another dreamer. It made me realise that I attached my own identity to objects and other people, and now, having lost these, I found myself lacking identity, like an empty shell of a human. I kind of became an NPC - no dreams, no hopes, no goals, just living from day to day on autopilot.

This is why I seek places like this, full of unique people with passions. I like posting provoking things because I feed on your emotions and liveliness. And since I'm not very inventive, I often borrow posts from other sites.
That actually reminds me to revive the MSC thread I kick like a year or so ago here.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MANMANMAN

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Star wars battlefront (2004). Had a lot of activity in the online multiplayer back then in the 2000s but it fizzled out as the years passed by. I remember playing this game online with my friends back in the day

【diet deity】

out back of Winkie's (Sunset Blvd)
Reaction score
Awards
my friends and I got into valheim during covid and rented out a 24/7 server so everyone could pop in and out at leisure. we played a ton. you could hop on at any time and somebody would be on the vc working on some project. it was a such a janky game so it reminded me of the early wow days or something. slowly we squeezed all the toothpaste out of the tube and fewer and fewer people were logging on and eventually I decided to close down the server. but first I toured through all of the map we had explored. and every single site was like archaeology. this was our very first time playing this game, so all the retarded failed attempts and disasters still had evidence they'd left behind. thats just server video games right? the things you do permanently reshape the toy world. and remembering all those first times was being contrasted by me essentially ending its continuity, of course rippling through all the associated memories of the covid times. and I was the "last one". I'd been part of creating all of it, but all the other people who'd done so much more were already gone, only their footprints and their cabins and gear and shit left behind, and I was just bearing witness, before letting it all disappear forever. A massive and precious feeling of isolation.

its not like reviewing a run history or video footage. its more like your last walk through an old house before you move out. except when you move house, somebody else is probably going to live there soon. when you close down a server, probably nobody will ever experience it again.

Batoros

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not sure if it fully counts, but anyone here played Kingdom Come: Deliverance? If you wear a full suit of armour, the peasants will start saying things like "God bless you, sir knight!" Every time this happened, I got what I could only describe as the same 'euphoria' which transgenders on the Internet talk about. It was like my entire brain lit up, screaming at me "Yes yes yes! This is who you are! This is where you are supposed to be!" and I had lots of fun running around the countryside slaying evildoers and hunting deer.
Then, I step away from the computer and realise I will never be a real knight. I have no armour, I have no sword, I have no steed. I am a lonely Internet-dwelling loser twisted by non-fiction and delusion into a crude mockery of chivalry's perfection.