What's new
  • Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! In addition, you will be able to have "moods" enabled on your profile and have donation only awards! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

You can now donate directly to the forum without signing up for patreon. You will still have all of the same perks in patreon but its now one less sign up method. It will be under Account Upgrades

This is the submission thread for the 2nd E-zine! Please use the dropbox linke for submissions and bump the thread with ideas, comments, statements, or just to bump. If you want to submit your stories or whatever you want to the second edition.

Is there any old story-exploration games out there?

manpaint

Sustainer of Eternity
Reaction score
Awards
Website
rs-archive.neocities.org
As you guys probably know, we have seen a fair share of narrative driven games recently. Example beings What Remains of Eeditch Finch, Firewatch, Detroit: Become Human etc.

I was wondering if games similar to those existed in the old days. What I seek is essentially games that play like an RPG but without any form of combat and puzzle.

I am not looking for visual novels suggestion, but something that allow you to explore a world (controlling a character) while following a story.

So far, my search was not really sucessful. Do you guys know if there is any old games similar to what I am describing out there?

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
LSD: Dream Emulator comes to mind. There's not really a story though so it's just an exploration thing. There have also been some attempts to make interactive films like Tender Loving Care. Lots of old adventure games exist that are probably closer to what you would want. Most of these have puzzles though. Some games that come to mind as less puzzle-y and more narrative-y:
I'm not necessarily recommending all of those games. I think all of them are interesting but I wouldn't describe them all as fun. You might find some more if you look through the library of devices like the Phillips CD-i. There were a lot of weird projects on the CD-i despite it mostly being notorious for those awful Zelda games.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Sustainer of Eternity
Reaction score
Awards
Website
rs-archive.neocities.org
LSD: Dream Emulator comes to mind. There's not really a story though so it's just an exploration thing. There have also been some attempts to make interactive films like Tender Loving Care. Lots of old adventure games exist that are probably closer to what you would want. Most of these have puzzles though. Some games that come to mind as less puzzle-y and more narrative-y:
I'm not necessarily recommending all of those games. I think all of them are interesting but I wouldn't describe them all as fun. You might find some more if you look through the library of devices like the Phillips CD-i. There were a lot of weird projects on the CD-i despite it mostly being notorious for those awful Zelda games.
Thanks! I will check out the games you listed.