ITT: We post vintage promotional pics of Cars from the late 60s to late 90s (2000s is fine)

wonderfullife

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I like 90s/00s era jap wagons.

1999_estate_jzs171,jzs175_03_b.jpg

1999_estate_jzs171,jzs175_04_b.jpg

1996_ea1w_20_b.jpg

A tv ad for the legnum, which is very over the top but fun.

View: https://youtu.be/BdMOdGEM9Bw?si=eYRWpozBwXTOAgCE

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yod

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I bought a 95' Chevy Lumina in 2015 after my old car died and I didn't have the money to buy something nicer.

It was a weird beater, but I truly loved that piece of shit. It kind of felt like driving around in a mid-90s rec room. I drove this thing hard for three years until I bought something new. The Lumina also had really weird marketing, Disney advertised it as their official company car. Much ado was made about it being a family sedan. Marketing for it definitely reflects that.

Miss you, Lumina. You truly asked nothing of me other than for the occasional car wash, gas, and an oil change like every four months.

2.PNG

1.PNG

1708616676631.png

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

Also, a bit of the advertisement which I posted above in better quality. Unfortunately, the documentary I took it from doesn't have a full ad:

I'll also drop several gifs I have, since I do not have any other place else to drop them etiher way. This thread might as well be retro car general.

Burnout.gif
MMTRvLrE_o.gif
GTAVCS_jumpover.gif
NFSHS_Titan.gif
UwkqwVYl_o.gif

Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
I bought a 95' Chevy Lumina in 2015 after my old car died and I didn't have the money to buy something nicer.

It was a weird beater, but I truly loved that piece of shit. It kind of felt like driving around in a mid-90s rec room. I drove this thing hard for three years until I bought something new. The Lumina also had really weird marketing, Disney advertised it as their official company car. Much ado was made about it being a family sedan. Marketing for it definitely reflects that.

Miss you, Lumina. You truly asked nothing of me other than for the occasional car wash, gas, and an oil change like every four months.

View attachment 90591
View attachment 90589

View attachment 90590

The EuroSport version was dope AF

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I think this thread is appropriate enough to share these videos.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OA0Ox2RhoY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ywgkJuovc

People probably just don't realise how much art went into an ordinary custom car back in the days. Take a look at something like Darryl Starbird's Predicta.
It went from this:
predicta-behinning-01.jpg

To this:
predicta-1st-01.jpg

And just imagine how much of that work has been done with the hands of man. Back in the days people just took instruments and worked on the body. Darn, I have magazines from the 50's with tutorials about that stuff. Do you know how to make a hood scoop? With a hammer, a chisel and your own two hands. That's how it's been done.
Now it's decals and stickers instead of pinstriping and plastic moulding instead of steelwork.
Cars were art, and it is a shame that they became a thing that you just use like a screwdriver or something...

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I thought that this was the most beautiful car that I had ever seen when I was ten:
That machine to this day remains pretty much the only factory hot-rod that went beyond concept car and into actual production. Therefore it is the only successful attempt to put a hot-rod onto assembly line. The car got hate from hot-rodders and US sports car enthusiasts mostly because of the V6 engine instead of V8 and from usual americans mostly because it was nothing like a 90's land yacht like Crown Vic or something, but everything a hot-rod - namely small trunk, small fuel tank, small everything. Which was critical, since it was not quite a sports car like Viper which didn't even have airbags to make the car lighter. No, Prowler occupied a weird space between a sports car and a usual road-going coupe, so it had sporty looks and a decent engine, but at the same time it had all the luxuries like a stereo system and automatic transmission. Heck, manual wasn't even in the options. And, as a result, no one liked it.
There were plans to make a second gen Prowler named Howler, with a true V8 under the hood and a mechanical transmission. The trunk space and others were also increased - trunk space in particular has been improved by giving the car a pickup body. Critics who had the chance to drive a Howler liked it a lot and thought this car will save the Prowler. But, unfortunately, Chrysler went in favor of another neo-retro concept - Pronto Cruiser, which turned into another controversial car named PT Cruiser.
That's how I've gathered it when I was writing an article about Prowler on my friend's site: https://rockthistown.ru/plymouth-prowler/
Here are also several pictures of a Howler from the same article:

chrysler_howler_concept_1.jpg
chrysler_howler_concept_2.jpg

IMO, Prowler was awesome for what it was. An attempt to introduce classic hot-rodding into the masses with a fresh sleek 90's look. Among original hot-rods from the 50's, this car looks like a concept or some futuristic custom that became real. And despite the V6, the car had the sport and engineering in its blood. They used so much aluminum for the body, it weighted even less than Viper. And while Viper did 1/4 mile in 12.5, Prowler was only two seconds slower. Cool stuff, which could have definitely been fixed with the Howler line, so it's a darn shame Howler never made it.
People gave Prowler too much hard time.
Also, this car is but one of the reasons that makes me think that I'd never made it on the american hot-rodding scene anyhow. People there today are darn purists, and I like exotic projects.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

Being dumb could save your life
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
I thought that this was the most beautiful car that I had ever seen when I was ten:

View attachment 100969

It's still beautiful... from some angles.
I have this vague memory of going to the Daytona 500 race track around 2005 and seeing one of these on display. Always liked these, really want to drive one someday. Late 90s/early 2000s had a lot of neat concept cars even if most people find them a bit ugly, liked how some were going for that retro look.

1995-chrysler-atlantic-concept.jpg

03-audi-avus.jpg

fordgt90conceptcar-1.jpg

buick_cielo_concept_16.jpeg

kia-kcv-ii-concept-1571403177.png

Virtual Cafe Awards