Kiwifarms under attack | Veteran of the Psychic Wars | The Internet is for EVERYONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimumbarkeep

on the lost coast
Reaction score
Awards
classic thing of people that don't really know what they're doing fixating on the latest meme in the computer toucher space (ruby, then nodejs, then rust/go) and thinking that because we're currently as an industry memeing about it, it means it has some inherent property of "goodness" rather than just being Cool Thing Of The Week
Eh, I think Rust is legit and will have some staying power. That's actually the worst thing about it in this case: Josh was handed a pretty decent power drill, he did a shoddy job with it, someone else broke his work, and he's blaming the (pretty nice) drill while assuming the other person has to have an intricate understanding of how the drill works.

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
The biggest difference is SA was waaaaay bigger than Kiwifarms ever was. Lowtax was earning a tidy $200-300k at one point and was offered something like a cool million to sell it before it went into a downward spiral.
That's true. SA was at least an order of magnitude larger in 2014 than Kiwifarms is now. It was also a more interesting forum in general. Some of the front page stuff was pretty good back in the day too. Kiwifarms needs to get into phenazepam.
I'm pretty familiar with Rust. I don't know why Josh is so fixated on it. This exploit has nothing to do with the programming language used, Josh has probably gaslit himself into thinking he knows what he's doing.
I don't know if this applies to Null but I've seen a lot of people treat memory safety as if it were the solution to all software errors.

Virtual Cafe Awards

optimumbarkeep

on the lost coast
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know if this applies to Null but I've seen a lot of people treat memory safety as if it were the solution to all software errors.
I think it applies to him 100% - no good reason to write this in Rust other than:
- optimizing for low-resource hosts where a JIT or whatever would be too fat (which isn't the case here)
- you have a ton of other libraries in Rust you want to use (also not the case)
- you heard it was cool on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk and hacker news because safety or something

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Eh, I think Rust is legit and will have some staying power. That's actually the worst thing about it in this case: Josh was handed a pretty decent power drill, he did a shoddy job with it, someone else broke his work, and he's blaming the (pretty nice) drill while assuming the other person has to have an intricate understanding of how the drill works.
Oh, what I mean by that isn't that Rust is bullshit (there are still oodles of Ruby and Node projects out there and they're not *bad*) - it's just that it's very much in vogue right now and that people that don't get the cyclic nature of Big Interest in the field will just assume that <x> language has some magical properties that make anything you write in it automagically good.

Virtual Cafe Awards

guy who is so high

Deranged manlet
Reaction score
Awards
This whole trash fire has been interesting to witness, though I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it. I don't think KF is (was?) as bad as some people make it out to be TBH.

... Though, as a certified traggot and diagnosed schizophrenic that grew up online (not properly medicated AND unsupervised, oh my), I've said shit that would've potentially earn me at least a brief mention on there when I was a teenager. IDK, I feel like some people with a KF thread that has all their doxx really don't deserve it, especially if the most they've done is say some cringe shit online. That's just me being a bleeding heart for oddballs though.

As for Keffals, she's mad annoying and I fucking hate that this has become a «transgender people vs. KiwiFarms» issue. Null is definitely not fond of trans people, but AFAIK most lolcows that matter aren't even trans to begin with. I don't watch her stuff because, again, she's annoying, but this whole ordeal has gotten to her head a lil' bit too. Kinda cringe.

KF could've done with improvements to prevent needless harassment towards people who aren't actually harming anyone, sure, but taking it offline is so fucking stupid. I mean, gossip will always exist, on or offline. If it's not on KF, it's on lolcow, or Youtube, or some other place.

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

optimumbarkeep

on the lost coast
Reaction score
Awards

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
Are they vaping their own piss?
I have tried to keep a moderate tone about this. However, yes I believe they are vaping their own piss. CrunkLord420, specifically cites an article on Discord's blog about switching from Go to Rust. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Discord as a business, I think it's clear that Null and CrunkLord420 don't have the same resources (or needs). Null also admits that he didn't actually know Rust before starting the project and CrunkLord420 hasn't contributed to the project since mid-January (less than 60 days after making the post I linked). I think the decision was based on ideology rather than any business or engineering rationale.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Null is a 300 pound cartoon character who can code some shit but cannot interact with normal humans.
IIRC Null's ED page once had a section theorising that he would be a school shooter.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andrew Eldritch

Definitely Not Goth
Reaction score
Awards
Screenshot from 2022-09-28 11-07-05.png

Joshy boy is back to his happy self I see PePsIcAnpixeled

Edit to avoid doubleposting: I know nothing about most things computers. There are a few big forums in my country that are as big or bigger than kiwifarms, and they have used phpBB since the eary 2000s. Why can't the kiwi's use phpBB? It's open source right so they can't be kicked off the licence like with XenForo?

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 38877

Joshy boy is back to his happy self I see PePsIcAnpixeled

Edit to avoid doubleposting: I know nothing about most things computers. There are a few big forums in my country that are as big or bigger than kiwifarms, and they have used phpBB since the eary 2000s. Why can't the kiwi's use phpBB? It's open source right so they can't be kicked off the licence like with XenForo?
I've often wondered this as well. I've been on a few forums that used Simple Machines Forum which is open source via BSD lisence and seemed to work pretty well. Granted, none of them were as big as Kiwifarms, but one had 1,000-1,500 active users. One would think it could scale up.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I've often wondered this as well. I've been on a few forums that used Simple Machines Forum which is open source via BSD lisence and seemed to work pretty well. Granted, none of them were as big as Kiwifarms, but one had 1,000-1,500 active users. One would think it could scale up.
I also lurk on very, very minimalist textboards so I really don't need most of what xenforo offers on its frontend. IDK how it's like from an admin perspective but I could do without much of the comforts of xenforo.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I also lurk on very, very minimalist textboards so I really don't need most of what xenforo offers on its frontend. IDK how it's like from an admin perspective but I could do without much of the comforts of xenforo.
It just all kind of makes you think it's not about having a simple, functioning forum to make fun of lolcows, but it's actually about some kind of messiah complex. Josh has to be the martyr and take shit while he develops the software that's going to save free speech on the Internet.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andrew Eldritch

Definitely Not Goth
Reaction score
Awards
It just all kind of makes you think it's not about having a simple, functioning forum to make fun of lolcows, but it's actually about some kind of messiah complex. Josh has to be the martyr and take shit while he develops the software that's going to save free speech on the Internet.
I just checked and the big phpBB forum I was a part of around the mid 2000s has 104 million posts total, more than 300.000 members. Of course forum culture has declined, but there's 600 users online now, most ever was 7000. They have a marketplace and a wiki on the site as well. Kiwifarms has a total of 12,5 million messages and 88.000 members. Apparently phpBB can handle the amount of traffic the kiwi's get.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
I just checked and the big phpBB forum I was a part of around the mid 2000s has 104 million posts total, more than 300.000 members. Of course forum culture has declined, but there's 600 users online now, most ever was 7000. They have a marketplace and a wiki on the site as well. Kiwifarms has a total of 12,5 million messages and 88.000 members. Apparently phpBB can handle the amount of traffic the kiwi's get.
The problem with phpBB is it isn't shining and doesn't scream 2020s. Which for me is a plus, but for other people may be bad

Virtual Cafe Awards
Status
Not open for further replies.