Let's lightly discuss about "loudness"

• Thread starter Deleted member 1930
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 2076 times.

Deleted member 1930

has anyone had any issues with Bandcamp specifically making mixes quieter? working on something and on Bandcamp vs in my daw (same speakers/moniters/computer/etc) the Bandcamp is a bit quieter and there's less OOMPH to the track, almost like it's eq-ing some lows (or something) out

I have a track that has a pretty huge bass drum on it, but that track on Bandcamp has seemingly not hitting as hard in the lows.

giphu

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Are you talking about streaming on Bandcamp website or (lossless) files downloaded from Bandcamp? I don't have answers or anything, just curious.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

Are you talking about streaming on Bandcamp website or (lossless) files downloaded from Bandcamp? I don't have answers or anything, just curious.

the downloads are fine. but the actual streaming is normalized

i listened to my song on bc and in may DAW. Back to back. the daw is SLIGHTLY louder

giphu

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
the downloads are fine. but the actual streaming is normalized

i listened to my song on bc and in may DAW. Back to back. the daw is SLIGHTLY louder
Could it be just the compression? Streams on Bandcamp have the bitrate of 128kb/s.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

Could it be just the compression? Streams on Bandcamp have the bitrate of 128kb/s.
yeah i suppose it might be

just wish there was a streaming service that streamed music as it was recorded. that all either compress it, normalize it, whatever

cryptfrog

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
if it's bandcamp vs your DAW maybe the mix is too loud. Try comparing bandcamp to the rendered file you uploaded to bandcamp. If they sound the same then you probably need to stop letting the volume max out.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kliffi

Yung Jinjo
Reaction score
Awards
yeahhh its rough bandcamp streaming not only has to flow at the platform's level, but bandcamp also lowers playback "to better support a wider range of computer speakers and headphones" (from Bandcamp FAQs-) so the only good option is to make the mp3 sound good, cuz the platform will always normalize for the stream. This is why mixing for Spotify is a nightmare. Some artists make a streaming master and a digital master to optimize for all platforms

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

yeahhh its rough bandcamp streaming not only has to flow at the platform's level, but bandcamp also lowers playback "to better support a wider range of computer speakers and headphones" (from Bandcamp FAQs-) so the only good option is to make the mp3 sound good, cuz the platform will always normalize for the stream. This is why mixing for Spotify is a nightmare. Some artists make a streaming master and a digital master to optimize for all platforms
I'm over mixing for Spotify. I mix how I want. If you're mad you're not getting the full experience, buy the album or complain to bandcamp or whoever for putting the real version behind a pay wall

Deleted member 1043

I can't say for sure. I've never personally noticed a difference, though if it is of any use I try to master at around -6db