Lies that taught us in schools

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I'm opening this thread why a false fact came to my mind and it's about breakfast. The whole concept of food pyramid is a marketing lie from food companies such as Kellogs and General Mills to advertise their cereals. They even passed it as mediterranean diet while they are advertising their unhealthy food.

Virtual Cafe Awards

penguinblanket

antichrist opposer
Reaction score
Awards
That this twat is part of my family tree
1643467742599.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

nagolbud

Political correctness is thought control!
Reaction score
Awards
It's all lies to cement your world beliefs before you're able to figure it out. Then your cognitive dissonance stops you from questioning any of it.

School is meant to make you a machine in an assembly line. Kids don't learn that way and you don't want the ones who do.

You want to nurture their curiosity, not bludgeon them with math and immediately expect regurgitation. I wish American colleges didn't spend half the time on remedial and banal subjects in an attempt to make you well rounded.

Back in the day if you wanted to know something you picked up a book and you went to college to become well rounded. Now the world is screwy, waiters with masters degrees, and online pseudo intellectuals with knowledge an inch deep and a mile wide.

False fact: everything taught in civics class

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
School is meant to make you a machine in an assembly line. Kids don't learn that way and you don't want the ones who do.

You want to nurture their curiosity, not bludgeon them with math and immediately expect regurgitation. I wish American colleges didn't spend half the time on remedial and banal subjects in an attempt to make you well rounded.

Back in the day if you wanted to know something you picked up a book and you went to college to become well rounded. Now the world is screwy, waiters with masters degrees, and online pseudo intellectuals with knowledge an inch deep and a mile wide.

False fact: everything taught in civics class
I wish Montessori was a thing more like kids exploring their curiocity and develop their own interests instead of being a system for prepairing kids to some university exams by memorizing whole pages of books and their parents pay a lot of money in cram schools. Source: i went to that type of school and my countrys education system, in the 3 years of high school reminds me awfully of gaokao. Instead of learn how to live indepedently, you have to pass through this and we are the only european country that counts as meritocratic

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
That to succeed in life, you have to get the good grades (tm), and that the students with good grades are smart. I remember these top students as very... empty and bland. Nice, but... often without personality, and not very smart once you take them out of academic settings. They are made to believe they are smarter than everyone else, but when it's really time to be smart, no one's in there. It's unfortunate. Half of them will end up in 9-5 jobs and very disappointed after they realize they have been conned.

Also, in my secondary years (middle/high school) we were constantly told we have to "develop our critical thinking skills" but the minute you use any critical skill or go out of the method or simply think out of the box a bit, it's not good. Have critical thinking skills only when it fits THEM. Likewise, in the course I took( I was in general studies, we have scientific, literary, and economic/social, I was in literary) there is philosophy in the last grade. Philosophy is supposed to make you think, right? Well, you better spit out what someone else said before you, because it's not allowed to use your own opinions. You have to do "according to the studied philosophers". It's a massive ass scam. My philosophy teacher was also some of the most intolerant people I met. So much for something as free as philosophy is supposed to be.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Not only that, politicans who steal the money of hard working asses and they own mansions, cars. They graduated from well known universities and now instead of working and expand their academic interests, they sit down in parliament and getting involved in corruption cicles. Our prime minister graduated from Havard with generic liberal arts degree.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
That to succeed in life, you have to get the good grades (tm), and that the students with good grades are smart. I remember these top students as very... empty and bland. Nice, but... often without personality, and not very smart once you take them out of academic settings. They are made to believe they are smarter than everyone else, but when it's really time to be smart, no one's in there. It's unfortunate. Half of them will end up in 9-5 jobs and very disappointed after they realize they have been conned.

Also, in my secondary years (middle/high school) we were constantly told we have to "develop our critical thinking skills" but the minute you use any critical skill or go out of the method or simply think out of the box a bit, it's not good. Have critical thinking skills only when it fits THEM. Likewise, in the course I took( I was in general studies, we have scientific, literary, and economic/social, I was in literary) there is philosophy in the last grade. Philosophy is supposed to make you think, right? Well, you better spit out what someone else said before you, because it's not allowed to use your own opinions. You have to do "according to the studied philosophers". It's a massive ass scam. My philosophy teacher was also some of the most intolerant people I met. So much for something as free as philosophy is supposed to be.
We even had exams in lessons such as Ancient greek, philosophy and religion which they supposed to requie critical skills but no nemorize whole text even you don't understand the context. It was awful and shameful for a country with heavy heritage.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Not only that, politicans who steal the money of hard working asses and they own mansions, cars. They graduated from well known universities and now instead of working and expand their academic interests, they sit down in parliament and getting involved in corruption cicles. Our prime minister graduated from Havard with generic liberal arts degree.
Open secret is that these ivies are more for connections than technical rigor. Who you know outweighs what you know.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I wish Montessori was a thing more like kids exploring their curiocity and develop their own interests instead of being a system for prepairing kids to some university exams by memorizing whole pages of books. Source: i went to that type of school and my countrys education system, in the 3 years of high school reminds me awfully of gaokao. Instead of learn how to live indepedently, you have to pass through this and we are the only european country that it counts as meritocratic
Gaokao is why I am not afraid of a technically challenging confrontation with China. They don't learn, they just regurgitate. That's no way to learn. The why is much more important than the the what and how. Memorizing pages is just awful, we have books and the internet to memorize things for us. Especially for technically rigorous items, you should avoid awful memorization.

The data that should stick in your memory should be the important data. Not rote worthless facts.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I'll save my angst and opinions against the education system since everyone else is voicing them.

The mysterious disappearance of the Roanoke colony was the colonialist abandoning the settlement to join a nearby Indian tribe. This was initially covered up because of the embarrassment that good white Christian men and women would so easily abandon civilization to go live with savages. It continues to still be trotted out as a mystery because the locals that live there now need the tourism, and a mystery sells better the settlement going full /r/anti-work.

Virtual Cafe Awards

calico_jack

midwest emo
Reaction score
Awards
one of my teachers when i was in 7th grade was a 'young earth creationist' she would always put on documentary and shit about dinosaurs and humans co existing, noahs ark/great flood, behemoth, how radio carbon dating was a lie. and one rime we even watched a debate between bill nye and a creationist at this huge ark replica

Virtual Cafe Awards

Makadam

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
School being just a formality is something that all the kids go on about but really, there was a pivotal moment in high school where we (the lads, that is) truly came to a collective realisation. On one occasion during our daily break, we ventured to the more popular cafe instead of the usual hangout place, the rock-themed bar where the more alternative folk gathered; after all, all the girls went there during the breaks so we decided to break our routine for once. Anyway, there we were, the misfits sitting around our table. Mind you, grammar school was predominantly female, so we were a particularly small minority. The waitress came out and we all brought out our currency. Then, it was the girls at the other tables' turn to pay. And that's where that moment of realisation occurred. There we were, three guys who got through maths and other hard classes (in my case, I got through with a bit more force, but I managed in the end regardless), and dividing the bill was a minor dealing of that forenoon. But minutes passed by, and the girls failed. For all their hours of studying and memorising, they failed to do the basic math, and employ the common sense, to split the bill and pay the waitress without her having to wait. And that was only one such moment of realisation...

Being able to attend an exam drunk and pass played part in the realisation, too. I'm not sure if I should be too smug since I'm a university dropout with a minimum wage job, though.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

I'll save my angst and opinions against the education system since everyone else is voicing them.

The mysterious disappearance of the Roanoke colony was the colonialist abandoning the settlement to join a nearby Indian tribe. This was initially covered up because of the embarrassment that good white Christian men and women would so easily abandon civilization to go live with savages. It continues to still be trotted out as a mystery because the locals that live there now need the tourism, and a mystery sells better the settlement going full /r/anti-work.
nah, they just died. they didn't go settle with the animals ffs

Either starve or join the natives. Too bad there isn't any concrete proof of what happened to them.

Virtual Cafe Awards