Liminal Spaces thread

Jared

יָרֶד
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xertech.neocities.org
Took these at an airport shortly after USA announced a lockdown.

View attachment 4815

View attachment 4816

View attachment 4817
ehhh , alot of these are too clean and alive for me to consider them liminal spaces, to me liminal spaces are spaces that have lost their soul and in turn that soullessness becomes their soul. Kinda weird but on another note I consider the abandoned effect more true to this idea than the after hours effect. The after hours effect is only a facade so subconsciously you know that life will still resume after the given period , abandoned is much different since you know that almost nothing will arise in time.

Virtual Cafe Awards

feeble_world

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Sadly in most cases when you get break out of the game's normal boundaries to explore these places you'll find no collision implemented and the to save resources there's no back to any of the models, only the polys visible from the intended gameplay area are rendered.
You'd probably really enjoy reading this post on dolphin emulator blog about the game true crime new york city. https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2021/1...ions-on-floating-point-exceptions-by-josjuice

There's a cut second island in the game. It's still there and somewhat functional, but the bridges to it have no collision. Except for one. Clip through an invisible wall and take a very long walk and you can reach the cut island. Note that most areas of the island count as out of bounds and will kick you back to the mainland, so be careful where you walk!

Pretty insane that all this stuff exists and is just inaccessible.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I gotta hop on gmod and take some pictures of maps I have in mind. Certain maps just have an aura around them.
I LOVE how Source behaves with it's lighting and texture compression; it will make you feel like you're being followed.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
I LOVE how Source behaves with it's lighting and texture compression; it will make you feel like you're being followed.
In addition, the architecture itself has an uncanny quality to it, as it resembles real constructions but obviously wasn't designed by someone with extensive architectural knowledge.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Here's an apparently dead blog with some good images.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I found a couple liminal spaces in Almaty today. Both are underground passageways around Zhibek Zholy pedestrian street. It didn't help that dombra music was playing in these passageways for some reason, like, they play that music out of speakers. Creeped me the fuck out but was also super interesting.

edit: this is not Zhibek Zholy per se, but it's like, right next to it, can't remember street names well
photo_2022-09-24_19-45-33.jpgphoto_2022-09-24_19-45-39.jpg

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards