Linkedin Cringe/hell

PizzaW0lf

In search of something greater.
Reaction score
Awards
Linkedin just makes me psychotic every time I look at what people are posting on it. Truly the peak of globalized capitalism sheol.
default-share.png
John-Wick-Reloading.jpg

post any cringe you find here.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

wonderfullife

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
people who unironically use linkedin are the worst- but the worst part about it is that not only do they think it helps them, but they also think you're fucking crazy if you don't use it
Arguably is does help people if you're in a corporate job, which is the most aggravating part to me.
Have had discussions with hiring managers at my job that have brought up the fact they ignore hiring people who they cannot find on LinkedIn. Which scares me if I ever lose my current job and have to go find another one as I don't have an account.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
people who unironically use linkedin are the worst- but the worst part about it is that not only do they think it helps them, but they also think you're fucking crazy if you don't use it
It does help though. I got my current job partly in thanks to LinkedIn. Recruiter spam is a real thing. Just have an account, connect with people you know, set up email notifications whenever you get recruiter spam, and you have a passive job seeking net. Additionally if you get LinkedIn recruiter messages, you can be sure they are actively looking for new developers.

On 4chan's /g/ board, there's the /twg/ general thread which tells you how to respond to recruiter spam. Basically find out salary range, what skills they're looking for, what role it actually is, and what the client is(they always obscure the client for some reason). Send them your CV with it, and make sure you get a response to those questions before you arrange a call because you can quickly waste a lot of time with them.

Let us not forget that for most social media, their great benefit and boon for the individual is the network effects. It's rare for a social media to have other benefits than that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
It does help though. I got my current job partly in thanks to LinkedIn. Recruiter spam is a real thing. Just have an account, connect with people you know, set up email notifications whenever you get recruiter spam, and you have a passive job seeking net. Additionally if you get LinkedIn recruiter messages, you can be sure they are actively looking for new developers.

On 4chan's /g/ board, there's the /twg/ general thread which tells you how to respond to recruiter spam. Basically find out salary range, what skills they're looking for, what role it actually is, and what the client is(they always obscure the client for some reason). Send them your CV with it, and make sure you get a response to those questions before you arrange a call because you can quickly waste a lot of time with them.

Let us not forget that for most social media, their great benefit and boon for the individual is the network effects. It's rare for a social media to have other benefits than that.
It's bascially like Tinder, but without an unmovable Zipf's Law against you

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
I'm not sure I understand, what do you mean by an unmovable Zipf's law against you?
I mean the fact that, if you're not in the top 20% attractiveness, your odds are way lower than they should. In real life, while still present, this effect is smoothened out by social circle and organic connections

Virtual Cafe Awards
linkedin is facebook for yipees and bloomers who grind, or dont but brag about it

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly wish I could post stuff from my university but I dont want to let people know things like that about me. Almost every single thing they post is horrible. For instance, one was about using VR so that business students can have conferences in Metaspace, and how beneficial that is. Another was promoting some 'fact-checking' service. It's always stuff like that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
Truth bomb...lol

Here's a job market truth bomb: Every idiot with a resume is either lying to you or themselves about their skills. I haven't seen a true resume since like 2003.

LinkedIn is a corporate kool-aid idiot circle jerk. I saw a local company I've dealt with that had everyone change their profile picture to them with masks to show just how on the bandwagon they were. Some of the stuff people post on there is unbelievable. What I can't figure out is how they know what political group to stand behind to not get fired. It seems to be anything left is safe. But then a lot of companies pretend they are super woke but really are bleeding heart, wish we were in Texas, conservatives. Who knows. I guess they are all just waiting for the next reason they can all dump ice and water on their heads and say they did something for someone (when really they did nothing).

They only logical answer to how this asylum of morons really exists is that it doesn't. It's probably another bot farm that has like 4 real users.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Regal

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

I tell them my salary expectations for an onsite role, salary expectations for a remote role, and ask them to confirm what the job description is. Spend too much time with them otherwise just to find out they are paying really low and/or the role is beneath you. Giving your salary expectations upfront weeds out most of these things. LinkedIn isn't as bad about these things as Indeed and other job boards however.

Regal

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
INNOVATION :SoyChamp2:COLLABORATION :SoyChamp2:HYBRID CLOUD :SoyChamp2:ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE :SoyChamp2:

Unironically I'm in this circle and you are totally right. The buzzwords are out of control. Especially "innovation" and "collaboration". Something I preach about is how everyone is like "we need to collaborate better!" but nobody can define what that means.

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
I tell them my salary expectations for an onsite role, salary expectations for a remote role, and ask them to confirm what the job description is. Spend too much time with them otherwise just to find out they are paying really low and/or the role is beneath you. Giving your salary expectations upfront weeds out most of these things. LinkedIn isn't as bad about these things as Indeed and other job boards however.
Here's a copy paste from the /twg/ general thread on /g/ about salary stuff

>Salary Stuff
"What's your expected salary, anon?": https://www.fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question/
Negotiation advice: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
More negotiation advice: https://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
Salary data: https://levels.fyi/

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 61438
INNOVATION :SoyChamp2:COLLABORATION :SoyChamp2:HYBRID CLOUD :SoyChamp2:ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE :SoyChamp2:
This reminds me that IBM froze hiring but said they were doing it because of AI replacing jobs, and not because of the (looming) recession. Also reminds me of My Little Resume, which was made by pjreddie to fuck with IBM recruiters after his internship there.

Virtual Cafe Awards
the biggest "oooof" are all-positive reactions. i need one with wtf/(asuka) what are you stupid!?

Virtual Cafe Awards