Linux Thread

what distro are you running?

• Ubuntu (including Kubuntu and other flavors)

Votes: 25 16.6%
  • Debian

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Arch

Votes: 38 25.2%
  • Manjaro

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • Pop!_OS

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Fedora

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • MX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mint

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • [Other]

Votes: 24 15.9%

• Total voters

LincolnJames

Aspiring tiger rider
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Natalia Simp

My Queen!
Reaction score
Awards
I was thinking of trying out AlterLinux, a Japanese based distro designed to make it easy to install unlike normal arch linux. What do you think? Should I try it out or try out Ubuntu MATE instead?
That just sounds like hard mode for no reason. If you're new to Linux, stay far, far away from Arch. Choose an Ubuntu derivative if that's comfortable, I like Neon; or for a Debian base, see Nitrux.

And if you're thinking of using an Arch derivative, first attempt to install Arch from the Install guide on the wiki. It's hard the first time, but when things go sideways, you have a picture how things work behind the scenes. Then go ahead and learn some moon runes.

I use Arch, been using it since before systemd, I moved to Arch because it used a simple BSD-style rc.conf init config system, sysvinit was a pain, and upstart was still very young.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
Mint with Cinnamon is extremely comfy to me, it's the distro I always recommend newcomers.
Same here. It's nice and easy to use. I run it on a Lenovo T450s that's about six years old. It's probably the most ideal laptop experience I've had.

XFCE and KDE are also nice DEs

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I started experimenting with Linux back in the early 2000s when Ubuntu first came on the scene. I switch to Mac OS X around 2006 pr 2007 when I got a big ass Power Mac G4, then had a Mac Mini followed by a Macbook for a few years before coming back to Linux around 2012 or 2013. Since then, I've gravitated toward Mint. I've fucked around with BSD and Linux distro like Arch, but I have to much other stuff on the go to fuck with them. I do still like old Mac hardware. I'm typing this on a 2012 Macbook pro running Mint.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I found Arch to be too bleeding edge to trust on a mission critical computer, but if you're thinking of messing around with it don't be put off by everyone telling you how hard and scary it is. The Arch Wiki is one of the most amazing documents on the internet. Simultaneously comprehensive yet perfectly intelligible to a novice. It might be a bit much if this is your very first interaction with Linux but otherwise it will walk you through the whole thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

GhostCow

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've used a lot of distros in the past but the control freak in me always liked Arch the most. Never could get into KDE because I'm more of a Cinnamon guy so I always used that for my DE. I haven't used Linux in a few years though because I'm mainly a gamer and gaming will forever suck on Linux. One of these days I might put it on the HTPC though if I ever have enough storage to move everything off the drives while I format them to ext.

Virtual Cafe Awards
debian is my favorite. id like arch more if i could get a stable release of it so i could have access to AUR without having to update constantly but i guess nobody cares.
"l33t h4xx0rs" (dating myself, i know) mock debian for being behind the times but if you have mature hardware, don't need the hottest shit and have a good workflow that you don't want fucked up by random updates there's nothing wrong with it.

I don't know if Manjaro qualifies as "stable" but I switched to it because it retains the benefits of the AUR (a thing of beauty) but also provides an extra layer of testing between you and raw Arch. Loving it so far. That said, Arch itself seems to have gotten a lot better about releasing updates that break your computer with a note on the website that says "deal with it faggot"

Virtual Cafe Awards

Qdust41

Wee a boo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
qdust41.neocities.org
I was thinking of librebooting an old Thinkpad of mine sometime soon and was just wondering if anyone has recommendations on what OS to use when I get it all setup, was thinking either Gentoo or Arch (which I already do use) but just wanted to see if anyone had other recommendations.