Linux Thread

what distro are you running?

• Ubuntu (including Kubuntu and other flavors)

Votes: 25 16.6%
  • Debian

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Arch

Votes: 38 25.2%
  • Manjaro

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • Pop!_OS

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Fedora

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • MX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mint

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • [Other]

Votes: 24 15.9%

• Total voters

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I had to use windows 10 for about 2 hours today, this changed my view of linux once again, i fukken love linux. I forgot how terrible win10 was compared to using linux.
All modern desktop operating systems are kind of gay, but Linux is the least gay.

BSD is for chads, though.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I used linux (Both dual boot & vm) and i was impressed by the insane amount of customization, something that missing from Windows. However, some of the programms requied for my job(Mainly proprietary) are nonexistent and sometimes there aren't open source alternatives and some of the games like Destiny 2 can't run due to anticheat systems even though Valve is trying to resolve this problem which make me stick to windows at the moment.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andrew Eldritch

Definitely Not Goth
Reaction score
Awards
I've used Ubuntu since 2010, and I use it exclusively since 2014. I'm not a nerd so I don't use any of the alternative distro's, Ubuntu is great because all the skills you need is being good at google. For every problem I've encountered there's a nerd on the internet that asks about it and another nerd on the internet that replies with some code I can copy into the terminal that fixes it. I might be the only Linux user that doesn't know the keyboard shortcut to open the terminal.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
A few weeks ago, I tried Linux Mint 21. At first I was disapointed at the soulless UI,but thankfully it's possible to get an aqua-like theme by messing around in the options.

The only thing I did was run a small program in Wine. At first I was confused as to why the program would not open, but after a bit of googling, I found out it was a terminal program (why Mint has a shortcut for the "exe" is beyond me) and was able to use it easily.

The OS was very slow but I am sure that's because I was using a VM.

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've been experimenting with Linux Mint Cinnamon, I used to use a VM but I'm now loading it from a USB, makes it feel more official to me and if I have a problem I won't just go back to my normal OS so it's actually testing it.

So far it's been ok but some shit really gets on my nerves
1. The search bar in the file manager is really annoying, in Windows if you press 'f' in the file explorer you just keep going to files that start with f but Mint (or Dolphin I guess) brings up a search bar instead and it feels like a much worse way to go through files. You can't even use it like a normal search it's still acting like how Windows does it and it looks through the first through letters of files instead of their whole name
2. I have no idea where my program files are, it seems like they show up in like 5 different places depending on where I download them from.
3. The icons never let you do anything, on Windows if you right click on something on the taskbar, desktop, start menu, etc. you'll get options for that app and you'll always get "open file location" and not having that anywhere really messes with me. On Mint if I right click an icon I'll just get things like "add to desktop", "minimize/maximize". I did try Mint MATE though and I could atleast open program properties in the start menu there. I thought I could access the properties from desktop icons and I kinda can but it seems like it just shows things about the shortcut, atleast it shows the command.

I'm mostly just too used to Windows but 2 and 3 really worry me, in the event that I have to go into a program's files to fix something I probably won't know where to go. Also it'll be harder to keep track of what I actually have installed. I think problems 1 and 3 are somewhat Mint exclusive though so maybe I could switch.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
2. I have no idea where my program files are, it seems like they show up in like 5 different places depending on where I download them from.
If you're installing software through apt (or some kind of frontend for apt) files will probably be installed following the Linux filesystem hierarchy standard. The actual program binaries are usually under /usr/bin and the configuration files are usually under /etc (for system configuration) and $HOME/.config (for user-specific configuration). Sometimes programs will just dump a directory under $HOME for configuration rather than using $HOME/.config. If you can't find what you need in one of the standard locations then it's probably best to refer to the software's own documentation. If you're doing something else (appimage, flatpaks, downloading random scripts off of the internet and running them sight unseen, etc.) then you'll have to look into that specifically.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Yesterday I tried a distro called Elive and I feel in love with it.

It's designed to be a distro that butter smooth on old hardware. I haven't tested it on real hardware yet, but it runs very smooth in a VM.

It has a very rich live preview, so IMO this thing could be a good "burner OS" (like Tails OS but more decent). Truth to be told I am more interested in the fact a whole OS can run from a 3 GB file in the RAM than the piracy aspect of it, so idk how Elive fare on that front.

The UI is some gorgeous Frutiger Aero. It looks very good. From a Windows User POV, it controls a bit weird but you quickly get used to it.

I might write a full review in the future, because that thing looks promising.

Last edited:

consonant

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Alright, I've continued trying Linux Mint and I'm liking it a little bit more
I've gotten a little more used to where my files are stored and if I forget where anything is I now know I can just use the find command
There's also a cli for flatpaks so that's an easy way I can find those
I didn't like how much focus was on the terminal at first but now I'm starting to like it, it's nice to have one place to control a bunch of things instead of having to click through a bunch of GUIs
I still don't prefer that file manager search bar but now I've gotten used to it

I think at this point pretty much anything I need to use my pc for can be covered by Linux there's only a few problems left

1. Crashing/freezing and weird behavior
Something I take for granted on Windows is that it basically never crashes for me, which is not the same experience I have on Mint. There have been several times where I just launch a program or drag an icon or something and my whole screen will completely freeze, not sure what I can do about that. Especially when it happens, all I do is just use my power button to turn my pc off.
I also had a problem where it would take a lot longer to login to my desktop out of nowhere. It would take like 3 minutes where it usually would take like 10-20 seconds. I'm loading it off of a USB but it never had problems like that before. Weirdest thing is that eventually it just solved itself and went back to normal.
Definitely a deal breaker if crashing is as common as it is for me or if that weird behavior pops up again and I can't find a fix, I need my computer to work consistently
2. Gaminge
When it comes to emulating things it seems like everything is handled fine, FightCade and Dolphin work atleast which are the things I normally use. The thing that I knew would be the problem is Steam (big surprise). I've tried only a few games and the smaller indie games seem to work fine but my more modern fighting games seem like they can barely launch. So far I've only tried messing around with Proton options for them, not sure what else I can do yet.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
1. Crashing/freezing and weird behaviormyself
Something I take for granted on Windows is that it basically never crashes for me, which is not the same experience I have on Mint. There have been several times where I just launch a program or drag an icon or something and my whole screen will completely freeze, not sure what I can do about that. Especially when it happens, all I do is just use my power button to turn my pc off.
I also had a problem where it would take a lot longer to login to my desktop out of nowhere. It would take like 3 minutes where it usually would take like 10-20 seconds. I'm loading it off of a USB but it never had problems like that before. Weirdest thing is that eventually it just solved itself and went back to normal.
Definitely a deal breaker if crashing is as common as it is for me or if that weird behavior pops up again and I can't find a fix, I need my computer to work consistently
That's kinda odd. You do say you're running it off a USB though, I'm sure that'd be a bit problematic.
2. Gaminge
When it comes to emulating things it seems like everything is handled fine, FightCade and Dolphin work atleast which are the things I normally use. The thing that I knew would be the problem is Steam (big surprise). I've tried only a few games and the smaller indie games seem to work fine but my more modern fighting games seem like they can barely launch. So far I've only tried messing around with Proton options for them, not sure what else I can do yet.
Don't even try in my opinion... if gaming is going to be a big thing for you, make a dual boot setup with two partitions; I did that and it works really well. It's also handy because I like to use Vegas and cracked Photoshop, and getting them to run through Wine is too much hassle for me. Just make sure you've got a ton of internal drive space and that you assign both partitions the right amount of space for their use before you install the OS, I can only have two big games on my Windows drive because I didnt give it enough space to begin with. Also backup everything before taking the plunge of course. It was scary setting it up on my desktop which was my only computer at the time, but it was totally worth it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2362

I game using Proton. It works fine generally, as long as you don't play multiplayer shit. Performance is very close to Windows.

I game using Proton. It works fine generally, as long as you don't play multiplayer shit. Performance is very close to Windows.
I have been playing lol for *approximately* 25 hours now, it didn't crush even once. The only game i was cockblocked by is Smite.

Too bad multiplayer games are the ones I play the most :PepeHands:
Worst case scenario I'll probably just dual boot or have a vm
Just google the games you play in the protondb website, they probably work under linux, if not your game taste is probably not soo good.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
i have 24 hours to decide which will be my first distro, been thinking about installing debian. Help me choose agora frens :peepoComfyBlanket:
Ubuntu and Mint are the most popular beginner distros. Personally I prefer Mint Cinnamon because its interface resembles Windows 7, the greatest operating system ever created.

They are both based on Debian, so the experience will be largely the same; they just come in a beginner friendly package. What happens is Debian releases a new version and it is open source, so others take that release, put their own little bow on it and release it as their own distro.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Personally I prefer Mint Cinnamon because its interface resembles Windows 7, the greatest operating system ever created.
I wish there was a Linux distro fully based on the Windows 7 interface (as in the Frutiger Aero style). Aside from that one thing created by the Russian military, I doubt there is anything like that though.

I wish there was a Linux distro fully based on the Windows 7 interface (as in the Frutiger Aero style). Aside from that one thing created by the Russian military, I doubt there is anything like that though.
windows interface is based off of KDE, i am pretty sure you can turn KDE into something that resembles windows 7, i have seen it before too.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Collision

Green Tea Ice Cream
Reaction score
Awards
i am pretty sure you can turn KDE into something that resembles windows 7, i have seen it before too.
There are a variety of Windows-esque KDE themes. Expose Air looks like Windows 7 and is probably pretty good. You can also get themes to make KDE look more like IRIX or CDE.

Virtual Cafe Awards