Litter on the road

• Thread starter h00
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1609 times.

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
This started as a status post but because of character limits (I shortened it to 820 but it's still saying it exceeds 1020?) I am now making a thread.
The status in its 820 char original form is as follows:

@Jackeline and I officially have beef
The practice of forum sliding, shit-post spamming, and off-topic posting I fundamentally disagree with
(Oh and deleting criticism)
1675738915969.png

Today @RIG shared new art, @Andy Kaufman @mydadiscar and @Miku Simpson shared slices of life, @greyetch shared a really obscure/cool psi site, @Aral Khanym shared WIP art, and it was @LeVil_78 birthday.
@Jackeline spammed memes.

Jacks posts are 35% of all status-posts today

I think Jack should cut the spam and post in the Anarchy thread where it fits
I think that profile posts are best utilized to see what's going on in the lives of the other travelers of the road. Whether it be a journal entry (a-la @Oasisboi 's tea posts), sharing a special tune, a picture they took that day, or a personal thought. Not reposted ifunny/>redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk trash.

To add to that would-be-status:
Maybe I'm in the minority.
There's no cooldowns on status posts so it's not like you cant post whatever you want whenever you want.
There's certainly no rules against it.
So hey, maybe anythings fine and I should get bent.

But I think status posts serve as a kind of window into the lives of fellow road travelers.
That's how I've experienced them for most of my travels here, and I'd like to continue to experience them that way.
I think a cooldown of 12/24 hr would be beneficial and improve the signal-to-noise ratio, but really I don't care too much of frequency or topic so long as they're sincere.

Is this even a problem?
If so, should there be a cooldown? Or perhaps some other method to address?
If so, what would be reasonable?
Am I just an old man and Jack is actually really funny and you genuinely just love to scroll through their profile-post meme page?

Discuss

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
@Jackeline and I officially have beef
Wtf are you talking about? No we don't, i don't know if you are autistic or not, but i already said "i'll delete this and let's avoid the drama" also i already mentioned to Yabba, that i was gonna limit my posts to 4 daily, if you are looking for a drama, then sorry to dissapoint you, but i won't provide you with that kind of amusement, i'm just gonna post this and i'll ignore the topic right away because at the end of the day, is a mere trivial stuff.

I get your problems and complaints, but seriously a callout thread calling other users about it? Don't you think that's too overkill and oddly familiar? don't turn this into twitter, as i said before i already got the point, you grumpy ass need to learn how to relax and not to take internet too seriously, will give you wrinkles.

PS: Besides isn't just easier to well, block me? like there is a button for that.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
I think that profile posts are best utilized to see what's going on in the lives of the other travelers of the road. Whether it be a journal entry (a-la @Oasisboi 's tea posts), sharing a special tune, a picture they took that day, or a personal thought.
But I think status posts serve as a kind of window into the lives of fellow road travelers.
That's how I use them and how I like them

But the Jackman's memes are OK too, since this forum gets so few total posts that you can just go to the What's new profile post page and see the day's posts
It's not like he's posting 1000:1

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
Wtf are you talking about? No we don't i don't know if you are autistic or not, but i already said "i'll delet this and let's avoid the drama"
Ah, because you deleted it didn't see what you said.
also i already mentioned to Yabba, that i was gonna limit my posts to 4 daily
That's reasonable, didn't see that.
I get your problems and complaints, but seriously a callout thread calling other users about it? Don't you think that's too overkill and oddly familiar?
Sometimes I make intentionally inflammatory threads/posts to encourage replies. You may critique the practice but people are more eager to challenge my assertions when I'm a real asshole about it. As said in the OG status, I respect you as a user and usually enjoy what you post in threads.
PS: Besides isn't just easier to well, block me? like there is a button for that.
I haven't blocked anyone before (except for scam/spam bots on steam) for value based reasons.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Ah, because you deleted it didn't see what you said.

That's reasonable, didn't see that.

Sometimes I make intentionally inflammatory threads/posts to encourage replies. You may critique the practice but people are more eager to challenge my assertions when I'm a real asshole about it. As said in the OG status, I respect you as a user and usually enjoy what you post in threads.

I haven't blocked anyone before (except for scam/spam bots on steam) for value based reasons.
To be honest i think everything is settled, and the compromises were achieved, let's just forget about this and shake hands like the gentlemen we are. ( imean not saying deleting the thread, more like saying any problem we had, is done )
Raiden and Armstrong Shaking Hands | Know Your Meme

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
To be honest i think everything is settled, and the compromises were achieved, let's just forget about this and shake hands like the gentlemen we are. ( imean not saying deleting the thread, more like saying any problem we had, is done )
1675740423689.png

Let us forget the beef and remember the lessons.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
I said a little about this in the chat but might as well comment my full thoughts here.
I like Kam's memes and all but I think anarchy is a better place for memes due to the fact that (as you mentioned) profile posts are shown by what's new. Hell, I didn't see those other profile posts before this thread, greyetch's post for example was very interesting to me and I hadn't heard about the concept it describes until just now.
I personally am guilty for shitting up profile posts with memes, however I have tried to spread out my memes between my profile posts and the anarchy thread recently. I'll probably post memes on anarchy from now on, not just because of this but also because to be honest I like to look back on my posts and it's hard to do that with my profile posts if I have to scroll through random shitposts.
I don't particularly want to get involved in any drama and I value me and Kam's friendship but yeah I think anarchy is more suited for memes. I disagree with a posting limit for profile posts, I think this kind of thing is better.
It's a little frustrating too, when I post about something personal and it gets buried by shit, but maybe that's just me...
EDIT: And then the drama resolves itself while I'm writing! Eh, at least we settled it peacefully, that's what I like about this place, anywhere else would just be filled with idiots that would tell you to piss off.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
There should be some sort of cool down feature/time to ensure the status function can't be spammed or dominated.
hell does Agora even limit signatures? I used to break forums that way lul

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
I don't mind status posts being used for stupid stuff. It's more irritating to me when people make really long effortposts in chat or on their status feed instead of just starting a thread about it. Status posts are going to get buried no matter what other people are posting, they're not a good place for anything serious.
Wtf are you talking about? No we don't

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDB5gbtaEQ

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
Status posts are going to get buried no matter what other people are posting, they're not a good place for anything serious.
I disagree. I don't think they're for anything high-effort, but there exists a place where the post is serious but not high effort to warrant it's own thread.
"Some lady took a shit in the middle of the bus today. was pretty wild"
or
"Heres a thing I'm currently working on"
or
"I took this picture today, thought it was pretty striking"
Aren't really worthy of their own threads, but in the latter two, are still serious and one would want it not completely lost to the void.
Often people make status posts to gauge interest/response with the aim to make a full thread about it later.
If no one ever replies to your one-off (but not too uncommon) striking photos, you may not make that photography thread you wish existed.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I don't mind status posts being used for stupid stuff. It's more irritating to me when people make really long effortposts in chat or on their status feed instead of just starting a thread about it. Status posts are going to get buried no matter what other people are posting, they're not a good place for anything serious.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDB5gbtaEQ

Fucking love monthy python, is peak british media.

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
hell does Agora even limit signatures? I used to break forums that way lul
no it doesnt lol
for a day i changed my sig to two 1x100000 .jpgs and made everyone scroll reaaaaal long

Virtual Cafe Awards

Pink Fluffy Cat

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't see any problem with that. There are many users here use their profile page as social media and what would you expect to see from a social media page?

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
As I said it already, I blocked him simply because of that. I already asked him to tone it down a little because I thought he was hogging space and all he replied is that I should block him.
Interestingly enough even when blocked, he still takes up space on the front page because not all 5 (or however many) of the status posts are shown when he posts. One day, I couldn't see ANY status posts at all which meant that he must've posted 5 times in a row...

I wouldn't start beef over it but I'm still glad I'm not the only one that was bothered by it. A polite block was my solution.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I think you pretty much needed to discuss this in private with Jack instead of going public, because having a post like this about you can be reaaaaally triggering and your beef isn't anyone else's business except yours (and Jack's), but I'm not against a cooldown between statuses. Even just for future possible trolls who might spam the status section for the lulz.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I agree with the effortposting stuff. I never really minded profile post memes (because there's really not that many profile posts so it's not that hard to just scroll through an entire day's worth). What's more annoying to me is trying to read through one continuous thought over the span of 3 posts all while not being able to use the reply button or trying to have a debate in chat. Chat usually moves too quickly to form any good argument imo and profile posts are such a headache to leave a detailed reply to.

Virtual Cafe Awards