Local Peak or Global

Fairykang

Cybernetic Esotericist
Reaction score
Awards
I was studying complexity theory today and I came upon the topic of rugged landscapes with local and global peaks. It stuck with me because of its similarity to heuristics. The gist of it would be imagining a landscape with a mountain range. Surrounding you are several local peaks, some higher than others. And somewhere in it would be a global peak, a mountain taller than all the others.
I thought this was a good metaphor for career advancement. Suppose you become the best of your field in your local community, you're at the top of a local peak. But there's the possibility that somewhere out there, there's a higher peak or even a global peak.
For example, you go to medical school and become a surgeon and then return to your rural community. While you can continue to hone your craft, the best you can be is a general surgeon, and the most you can make is what your local hospital can afford to pay you. But you could move to a metropolitan area, specialize in a field of surgery, become the best at it, and make much more money this way. (While this is an example, it is also a real phenomenon that's causing a shortage of general surgeons in rural areas).
What do you guys think? Would you want to be the best of the best in your local area or would you prefer moving somewhere with greater potential for advancement?

Virtual Cafe Awards