Looking to put together a better audio setup.

Dark Agent

Average Y2K Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
Portable: iPhone 4 32GB (all AAC 256kbps) with Sennheiser HD 599
Home: My Laptop (DSD + FLAC) with AKG 240 Monitors 600ohms (got them at a thrift store for 30€)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Grif

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Bang & Olufsen H7 over-ear bluetooth (I regret trading in my wired only H6s for this just for Bluetooth, I should have gotten H6 mark 2). The Bluetooth doesn't work anymore, but it's great wired.

I use a small Apogee Groove DAC+AMP that's nice and portable.

I use Apple Music since I have a big ol' iTunes library from the iPod days, and the Lossless and HiRes Lossless audio is a treat.

Portable I just use an iPhone and AirPods Pro, it does the trick and is quick to connect. I used to have some B&O E8s, but they broke and the first ten was heavy and required foam tips to stay in ear. Plus pairing them with a different device was garbage, I appreciate the AirPods flexibility on that, even though I know Apple has locked that tech behind their brand instead of making an open standard.

Virtual Cafe Awards

juicy_ricky

crusader of the glob realmz.....
Reaction score
Awards
Get some decent studio monitors like Yamaha, Focal, Genelec etc. Get a decent USB audio interface. Skip all the "audiophile" stuff - it's mostly bullshit and way overpriced for what it is. They aren't coming close to the accuracy, power, or clarity you are gonna get from good monitors, even if you have zero desire to produce music on them.

Virtual Cafe Awards

jaedaen

Stay a while, and listen.
Reaction score
Awards
Cool thread. I'm pretty serious about my audio shit. Let's see, what do I have here:

Zoom F6 audio interface, got the more expensive ones for the better mic preamps, though it's more suited to being a portable audio recorder than an audio interface.

Focal Elegia headphones, great treble and mid, bass is not great though. I rarely listen to music on them unless it's classical or something.

Prosonus Eris E5 monitors, old as fuck and cheaper than my other gear, but they still do well. These can pump pretty hard if you drive them in that way. One of the reasons I bought a house was to be able to jam music loud sometimes.

Shure SM7B mic, the OG classic dynamic mic for voice. Great for discord voice conversations, podcast shit, or even vocals.

and a Blackstar HT Club 40 MKII tube amp for my electric violin I plug in to the Zoom for when I want to play.

and I guess that's it. I have a few other mics as well, but they're not part of my standard setup.

Virtual Cafe Awards

juicy_ricky

crusader of the glob realmz.....
Reaction score
Awards
Cool thread. I'm pretty serious about my audio shit. Let's see, what do I have here:

Zoom F6 audio interface, got the more expensive ones for the better mic preamps, though it's more suited to being a portable audio recorder than an audio interface.

Focal Elegia headphones, great treble and mid, bass is not great though. I rarely listen to music on them unless it's classical or something.

Prosonus Eris E5 monitors, old as fuck and cheaper than my other gear, but they still do well. These can pump pretty hard if you drive them in that way. One of the reasons I bought a house was to be able to jam music loud sometimes.

Shure SM7B mic, the OG classic dynamic mic for voice. Great for discord voice conversations, podcast shit, or even vocals.

and a Blackstar HT Club 40 MKII tube amp for my electric violin I plug in to the Zoom for when I want to play.

and I guess that's it. I have a few other mics as well, but they're not part of my standard setup.
I love my Eris - had them since 2013. Eventually got the matching sub and it really does what it needs to do now. A Blackstar for electric violin?? You are unhinged!! That's gotta sounds sweet...

Virtual Cafe Awards