• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

Lost Media Memories

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I once fell asleep in front of Metropolis at a projector show in London. From first hand experience I can tell you that the film would not benefit from an additional six minutes.
I won't lie: I haven't watched it. Waiting for the 6 minutes to be found.
Would suck if it is indeed another massive overblown nothingburger. I can name at least two in my life. And one of them is a movie I've fell asleep wathcing.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I won't lie: I haven't watched it. Waiting for the 6 minutes to be found.
Would suck if it is indeed another massive overblown nothingburger. I can name at least two in my life. And one of them is a movie I've fell asleep wathcing.
We're talking about the black and white silent film right? If you don't know anything about the film, why are you so excited for a missing six minutes? What is it that appeals to you?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Doctor Dirck

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
-I miss like random youtube videos or series that have just disappeared and stuff now. A youtuber named PeteyPirahna128 used to have a 'Grabbed By the Ghoulies' playthrough on youtube and I remember he would put out videos constantly until he got about halfway through the series then stopped for like 3 months. When he came back it was like he hit puberty all at once and I remember him being really unfunny and cursing a lot. This had to have been like 15 years ago now and since then he has like a fairly successful youtube that he has retired called "Panoots" and he's deleted all his old 'Grabbed By the Ghoulies' and other let's plays he did. It was my first real experience with the idea that something could just up and disappear from the internet and be gone forever. I just wanted to see how my memory matched up with reality and to see if I could remember anything I thought was funny from back then and now it's gone.
Screenshot 2024-01-11 224844.png

-Another video that is gone-ish is some PowerPoint breakdown of Elliot Rodger's manifesto by some bald right wing dude. His channel was like 10% random stuff like the Elliot Rodger thing and 'My Daughter Teaches Me How To Play Minecraft' and the other 90% was like 'The Fiscal Cliff and How it Effects You!'. His breakdown of Elliot Rodger I remember was actually pretty good despite the format as I'm pretty sure he had a degree in Psychology and was a fairly good speaker. All his stuff on youtube is gone and I'd never be able to find him in the sea that is the internet, but I do actually happen to have a HQ copy of his Elliot Rodger manifesto breakdown and I'd like to upload it and other stuff I've archived sometime when I get a chance.

-A series that was almost lost to time was an ARG related to 'A Hat in Time'. I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about a little more but given how big of a flop it was I suppose it makes sense. So the details are sort of fuzzy and I promise I'm going to get at least one detail slightly wrong but basically 'A Hat in Time' had a little mini-arg looking for the Roach King. It was a series of notes hidden around the ship and hinted at on maybe the devs' twitter? Anyways once you finished and found the Roach King there were two notes. One that congratulated you and another that encouraged you to look a little closer around the ship for another secret. In a nearby dresser there were these sigils and notes that spelled out some lore stuff about the game pictured here:
image (18).png
image (19).png

Anyways trying not to get away from the point of Lost Media Memories, but after that context. Somehow they were able to connect that text to a youtube channel called 'Mole Man1111' who posted these cryptic youtube videos with assets that looked like they fit the game but weren't actually in the game and descriptions that were in binary. So the ARG doesn't take off like they think it will and they end it kind of unceremoniously and are basically like "Nah none of that was canon" and they deleted the youtube vids. A bit more context is that this was largely one guy's idea and he was really the only one pushing for it so when it was justified he stop they had their reason so they did. The videos were interesting because a pretty fun platformer's story was just put together and then as quickly as it was revealed it had the rug pulled on it and that story was retconned and evidence of it erased (but they still didn't take the above pictures out at least the last time I played about a year ago). Following this there was actually this person that had the videos memorized perfectly and the descriptions for them and posted all the literal descriptions along with a description of what the videos all looked like. It was like this for 4 years until someone uploaded an archive of the videos to the following youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@molemanarchives4286 . I was glad to see it found, I just think it's cool because despite the devs backtracking it was really interesting to see the direction they wanted the story to go and maybe set the groundwork for DLC or the second game where the main character would fight a dark version of herself.

I guess in summation it's a very interesting experience having been part of dumb little lost, partially lost, and found media.

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
We're talking about the black and white silent film right? If you don't know anything about the film, why are you so excited for a missing six minutes? What is it that appeals to you?
The 1927 one, yes.
I'm not quite excited for missing six minutes, it's just my general set of mind that the thing has to be complete before I hit it. If I play the game, it gotta has all patches, all DLCs and whatever else might be there. One of the reasons I never play new video games.
Having six minutes missing out of the movie just grinds against against my brain.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
The 1927 one, yes.
I'm not quite excited for missing six minutes, it's just my general set of mind that the thing has to be complete before I hit it. If I play the game, it gotta has all patches, all DLCs and whatever else might be there. One of the reasons I never play new video games.
Having six minutes missing out of the movie just grinds against against my brain.
But surely it's complete in the sense that it's the film that the vast majority of people have seen and agreed it's good. The thing being complete isn't the metric by which it's good. Look at the extended editions of Star Wars or the Lord of the Rings. There was a reason why the fat was trimmed.

I'm going to download and watch Metropolis on the side today in your honour. Maybe we can chat about it when you've seen it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
But surely it's complete in the sense that it's the film that the vast majority of people have seen and agreed it's good. The thing being complete isn't the metric by which it's good. Look at the extended editions of Star Wars or the Lord of the Rings. There was a reason why the fat was trimmed.
Dude, I get it. It's not a logical thing. I mean, like, if the video game has five DLCs that give a character a new hat, I'm going to use only one whichever way. But they gotta be there. In the code and ready to use.
That's just my thing.
If there's anything logical about it, it allows me to trim my endless lists of things to watch/try a little bit.

I'm going to download and watch Metropolis on the side today in your honour. Maybe we can chat about it when you've seen it.
I'm watching Sister Act right now. Like... just saying.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
I've posted about this elsewhere, but I figure it's probably worth a shot to try letting you know about it so you can find it if you're interested. If found, it's one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.

I remember I saw it around the mid-2010s, probably 2016-17. It was on YouTube, one of those clickbait videos which are mass-produced and come out of content farms. The video was called something like "Top 10 Creepiest Things Caught On Camera!" or something like that, and it was over 10 minutes, but below 20. It was your average top 10 list, and I think it had a male narrator.

Most of the entries were your typical ghost shenanigans, but in the mix, there was one video that stuck with me. According to the backstory the narrator gave, the video was found by a couple who came home one evening and found the tape lying on their couch. When they popped it in, it was of this lady, sitting on the exact same couch in their house and staring into the lens with this dead look. She didn't make any noise, just sat there for a long time, as if to taunt the homeowners. And as the narrator told this story, he showed actual footage from the alleged video, which pretty much solidified the idea (for me, at least) that the story was true.

The lady was a strawberry blonde, I think, short pixie cut, with a white t-shirt. I could be wrong about that, though. The video had kind of an orange hue, she may have been positioned in front of a fireplace, and she gave me the creeps. Obviously, the couple must have been really freaked out to see a complete stranger in their home, much less one who was brazen enough to leave behind this evidence, as if taunting them.

Every so often, I try to find this video by searching for keywords or something on YouTube and Google, but I don't know the original source of the video, only that it was featured in one of these content mills, and even then the content mill could have shut down a long time ago. I am 100% positive it was a real thing, though. I posted about it on 4Chan a few years ago and someone in the thread DID say they remembered seeing it, and I completely believe them. So there are other people out there who remember this thing, but just barely.

If anyone could find it, it would pretty much be my lost media grail, because it inspired my short story "Joyce," which later went on to become a viral sensation in its own right as part of my ARG, Hypnagogic Archive. It's kinda a part of Internet history.

(MS Paint recreation)
VHS Lady.png

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
dude you are famous, if wendigoon did video on "you"

View: https://youtu.be/Yi16FrMjmlQ
&joyce there too

Yeh, that's me. The story "Don't Look Up At The Fan" from HA is also based loosely on a vague memory of something I watched when I was young, exactly like it says in the story itself. But the main one I'd like to find would be the one that inspired Joyce, just because it's a lot more recent and I know for a fact it's definitely out there somewhere and could probably be found

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jodo_Fan

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
For years I had this vague memory of a weird, absurdist cartoon I came across in the early 2000s featuring Brian Eno. I finally tracked it down a few months back. Turns out it's by Tom Hart and ran in the Tower Records magazine. (Is Tower Records still around?) Anyway, It's kinda funny, in a light sort of way.

014-brian-eno.jpg

And here's a link with original formatting.

Last edited: